• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science vs Religion, I will solve this debate for you once and for all.

Allow me to show you the absurdity of science with the following statement:

As a human, using your senses, you perceive less than 1% of what exists, yet you scientists then attempt to explain everything with absurd theories that you stack one on top the other so that if one of the foundational theories fails all the theories its supporting will come crashing down like a proverbial house of cards. What then happens is that this can't be allowed to happen so now your stuck defending these theories with your life because you don't want the crash to happen on your watch...

Science is just as holy as religion because it's full of holes.

Science can't even answer the basic questions of a elementary student. Where are we? Why are we here? How did all this start? Scientists you don't know anything so stop lying to the children telling them about a big bang or evolution that's your wacky opinion, I mean theory, so stop trying to pass your theories off as fact.

The greatest lie science ever told was claiming that something physical like the brain could create something unphysical like consciousness and the profound experience you are having right now. If you choose to believe this I'm not chastising you, feel free to do so, but humbly accept that its your religion and your no better then a Christian, or a Jew, or a Muslim, that believes in some made up god.

We like to make things up, that's what we do as human beings to deal with the natural world we are in. But don't start telling me that the b.s. that you made up, is any better than the b.s. that somebody else made up, else I will call you a hypocrite.

And for the record life and consciousness is the greatest unsolved mystery, it is absolutely a paradox.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
But don't start telling me that the b.s. that you made up, is any better than the b.s. that somebody else made up, else I will call you a hypocrite.
I'll be the first to admit that the b.s. that you make up is no less exemplary of b.s. that that fabricated by others. What I do not understand is why you seem so intent on hammering that point home?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
But don't start telling me that the b.s. that you made up, is any better than the b.s. that somebody else made up, else I will call you a hypocrite.
At such a time, I'll probably consider the source and think, "Meh!"

And for the record life and consciousness is the greatest unsolved mystery, it is absolutely a paradox.
It is true that we still know precious little about consciousness and how we got here, let alone why, but that is no reason to go right off the deep end.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
1. Life, and all matter, and energy, sprang into existence from nothing.
(We know that is impossible because something can not come from nothing everything must have a beginning.)

2. Life has always existed and has had no beginning.
(We know that is impossible because everything must have a beginning.)

Both of those options defy all logic yet there is no other alternatives.
Of course there are. Space, time, matter and Life were created by a being who is independent of space, time, and matter.

For pity's sake you need read no farther than the first verse of the bible to find the only alternative that describes what science discovers. BTW 78% of Nobel laureates have been Christians.

New International Version
In the beginning (time) God created the heavens (space) and the earth (matter which would include life).

pearl

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/religion-science/#WhatScieReliHowDoTheyInte

Religious texts tend to be writ in stone.

I think this is false. The Church continually interprets in light of the times. Neither do I believe that all scientific hypotheses can be tested and theology does offer hypotheses. Unfortunately only after death can religious teachings be verified. Theology does evolve it does not stagnate unless one is referring to fundamentalism.

Science invites criticism. Religion discourages it.

Historical, biblical criticism is one of the methodological tools of theology.

The Vatican has what is probably the oldest observatory in the world, and is open to the discovery of new life forms. It is not opposed to science.
CTNS--Encyclopaedia

DavidFirth

As a human, using your senses, you perceive less than 1% of what exists, yet you scientists then attempt to explain everything with absurd theories that you stack one on top the other so that if one of the foundational theories fails all the theories its supporting will come crashing down like a proverbial house of cards. What then happens is that this can't be allowed to happen so now your stuck defending these theories with your life because you don't want the crash to happen on your watch...

Science can't even answer the basic questions of a elementary student. Where are we? Why are we here? How did all this start? Scientists you don't know anything so stop lying to the children telling them about a big bang or evolution that's your wacky opinion, I mean theory, so stop trying to pass your theories off as fact.

The greatest lie science ever told was claiming that something physical like the brain could create something unphysical like consciousness and the profound experience you are having right now. If you choose to believe this I'm not chastising you, feel free to do so, but humbly accept that its your religion and your no better then a Christian, or a Jew, or a Muslim, that believes in some made up god.

We like to make things up, that's what we do as human beings to deal with the natural world we are in. But don't start telling me that the b.s. that you made up, is any better than the b.s. that somebody else made up, else I will call you a hypocrite.

I think they have a theory for that at Stanford.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Big Bang is quite well established as true. Do you wish to discuss something, or ranting is the best you got.

pearl

we will probably never know the nature of this intelligence.

I agree. Think of the word 'God' that it functions much as X in algebra. X is the stand-in for the unknown. In Christian theology God, is the name of Mystery at the root of all. An incomprehensible Mystery.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Knowledge doesn't need belief, learning, or science.
Jim, I know that you have some rather difficult surgery coming up and I'd really like you to consider switching over to Dr. Fletcher.

But why? My doctor is a widely respected as an expert in three related disciplines with years of surgical experience.​

Yes, but Dr. Fletcher is home schooled, born again, and stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Oh, I see ...​

DavidFirth

Big Bang is quite well established as true. Do you wish to discuss something, or ranting is the best you got.

"quite well established" among scientists who believe in all of the assumptions does not equal absolute truth. Just saying.

DavidFirth

You haven't shown much inclination to discussing the evidence either.

What's there to discuss? I don't interpret it the same way you do. You're not going to change your mind and I'm not going to change mine. Waste of time to discuss it.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin

Except science produces results. It's not some "happy accident" that puts satellites in orbit, or put a robot on Mars, or more than doubled average life expectancy in less than a decade, or (most ironically) allows you to communicate reliably with people online through a computer. These are the results of science slowly navigating the maze from within and using what it learns to create practical benefit. If science didn't work as a methodology for understanding how the Universe functions, then it simply wouldn't be able to have affected the change that it is has upon our lives, and make no mistake about it science has had a greater overall impact (not just to say 'improvement') on human life and civilisation as a whole than any other endeavour in the entirety of human history, so forgive me if I take your comments that science is nothing more than a "house of cards" while you're sitting at your computer with a massive grain of salt.

Science can't even answer the basic questions of a elementary student. Where are we? Why are we here? How did all this start?
This just in: there are things people don't know yet!

What a remarkable observation. Because it's not like anyone else could possibly have noticed this before you, right?

Scientists you don't know anything so stop lying to the children telling them about a big bang or evolution that's your wacky opinion, I mean theory, so stop trying to pass your theories off as fact.
A theory and a fact are not mutually exclusive things. They are both theories and facts.

The greatest lie science ever told was claiming that something physical like the brain could create something unphysical like consciousness and the profound experience you are having right now.
Please demonstrate that this is false.

If you choose to believe this I'm not chastising you, feel free to do so, but humbly accept that its your religion and your no better then a Christian, or a Jew, or a Muslim, that believes in some made up god.
Except it's not. The brain is a physical things and consciousness is an emergent property of it.

Except we didn't make it up. It's literally what the facts show us.

You clearly don't know what a paradox is.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
science sees only the material, and the physical as causes, so they exclude anything else from reasoning

Science is perforce limited to studying the observable, by which I mean any aspect of reality which impinges on experience in some way, whether directly or indirectly.

This comment applies to all so-called invisible or supernatural realms and entities:
  • "There's no reason, in theory, why god's presence couldn't be measured or detected in some way. The only reason that believers claim that god "can't" be detected in this way is because god *isn't* detected, and so a vast and intricate rationale has to be devised to explain this vast, loving, eternal, all-powerful "something" which is, in every external, objective respect, indistinguishable from nothing."
If science ever needs to postulate the existence of such things, it will do so based on observation of the physical, meaning that it will no longer be indistinguishable from nothing..

And if a god is ever discovered, it will be because or acts only attributable to a god have been observed.

As soon as you divorce yourself from empiricism, the speculations become sterile. Many have tried to make contributions to the human condition using faith based systems such as alchemy, astrology, and intelligent design, but none has given the world anything of value.

let's face it there are things about reality that defy materialist logic, and they always will.

That's probably correct, and if so, it has to be acceptable, since we have no other method for discovering truth. The unsupported speculations of mythmakers just aren't useful.