• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saudi Arabia Vs Canuckistan

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, the world would definitely be a better place if the most powerful country in the world would stop kissing the @$$ of a horribly abusive Islamic theocracy and instead stood up for what's right.
What steps would we take....
Attack & force regime change?
Economic sanctions?
Stand on a soapbox & lecture?

Shad

Veteran Member
I think people tend to show their true colors when angered, but I doubt that they would be brazen enough to actually carry anything out. I applaud Canada for standing up for human rights. I only wish our own country had the integrity to do the same.

Does your view change with knowledge Canada sold weapons to KSA after complaints of human rights were already voiced for years?

Shad

Veteran Member
Yeah, it does. Countries shouldn't be virtue signaling while doing dirty deals with despots.

The Canadian government does this a lot regardless of political party. The reputation of Canada is part based on fake stereotypes but is maintained as too many believe in the trope thus is beneficial to different interests as a facade. Immigration is another example in which what politicians say in public does not align with the laws and records.

Last edited:

Wirey

Fartist
The Canadian government does this a lot regardless of political party. The reputation of Canada is part based on fake stereotypes but is maintained as too many believe in the trope thus is beneficial to different interests as a facade. Immigration is another example in which what politicians say in public does not align with the laws and records.

This is true. A lot of Yankee Doodles don’t realize that most of the immigrants who came here from the US when Trump got elected were deported for violating the Safe Third Country Act. But showing Mounties helping children made us look great.

Shad

Veteran Member
This is true. A lot of Yankee Doodles don’t realize that most of the immigrants who came here from the US when Trump got elected were deported for violating the Safe Third Country Act. But showing Mounties helping children made us look great.

Yup. Heck some of the systems we have up here Trump dreams of.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Although allowing @beenherebeforeagain to join their ranks is causing an image problem.
Royal-Squirrel-Mountie--87597.jpg

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

The bizarre spat with Canada shows Mohammed bin Salman’s true colours | Nesrine Malik

The culprit is Bin Salman, a man who strives for status and is easily slighted. He is far from being the modernising prince that the New York Times, in its own badly timed Vogue moment, described as leading Saudi Arabia’s Arab spring “from the top down”. Every signature campaign Bin Salman has launched has ended up in a quagmire. The war in Yemen continues to claim civilian lives and taint Saudi Arabia’s international reputation. The blockade of Qatar, a petty and intense affair, is now more than a year old, a year in which the Qatari economy has continued to grow. By contrast, in June, it was reported Saudi Arabia had suffered a shock collapse in inward investment. Bin Salman even managed to botch his best hand, the end of the ban on women driving. The good PR evaporated when several women activists were arrested a few days before it took effect.

Perhaps he's taking a leaf out of the Corbyn book. :rolleyes:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Well, what does everyone think the Saudis really intend?
To convince Canadian authorities to keep apart from matters of human rights that they presumably see as an internal Saudi issue and, I assume, as a disrespect of Saudi sovereignity?

It would be a foolish and naive and dangerous attitude, but I assume that they are to be taken at face value anyway. It sounds sincere, if myopic. I truly believe that Saudis generally have a very hard time understanding what human rights are all about and feel unfairly criticized when the matter is raised.