• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same Sex Couple Adopting

HeatherAnn

A healthy man/female unit I believe can provide the balanced male/female perspective on the child. Women cannot offer that insight on what its like to "be a man," and the same is said of men and their daughters on being a woman.

I can attest as one who grew up in a single parent household (my dad was there but wasn't there) I had to learn the things that young boys who grew up with fathers did on my own. Issues such as puberty, issues with girls, all the common problems that young boys run into, I didn't divulge to my mother because, well, she was my mom.

I wouldn't say gay couples wouldn't be capable parents and I certaintly don't believe they would transfer their sexuality onto the child. However I believe in the current society the dynamics of a healthy balanced household should have a man and woman. Notice I used the word "healthy"

Good points & thank you for sharing your personal experience.
No doubt, mothers and fathers are both important - to help in learning through imitation and about how to relate to the opposite sex.

Draka

Wonder Woman
What studies?

You mean we have to show sources and back up things we say here? You mean we can't just make statements willy nilly and expect people to just take them at face value as the absolute truth just because we say so? So I can't just respond to her statement with an equal statement of:

Studies show a link between heterosexuality and sexual abuse.

I figure if she can make a bold statement with nothing to back it up, then we should be able to respond in kind to it and see how she responds, right?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Studies show a link between homosexuality and sexual abuse.

Old studies. Studies that no longer reflect current society, or biased studies.

Any psychological association whose word is worth anything says they have found no reason why homosexuals cannot be at least as good of a parents as heterosexuals.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
There are also studies to back this up:

"Children Need Both A Mother And A Father" Dr. A. Dean Byrd
Children Need Both A Mother And A Father

"Why Children need both Mother-Love and Father-Love" Glenn T. Stanton
http://www.jashow.org/Articles/_PDFArch ... I0804G.pdf

"Mothers' and Fathers' Socializing Behaviors in Three Contexts: Links with Children's Peer Competence"
Pettit, Gregory S.; Brown, Elizabeth Glyn; Mize, Jacquelyn; Lindsey, Eric
http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/se ... o=EJ563106

"Why Children Need a Mother and a Father" Bill Muehlenberg
http://www.billmuehlenberg.com/2010/10/ ... -a-father/
You forgot to provide your list of studies.

All four of the links you provided are nothing more than opinion pieces claiming that there are studies....

averageJOE

zombie
Exactly.

It's kindof common sense, that just as every single person needs a mother and father to EXIST, we all also benefit most by being raised by both a mother and father. Both are important.

There are also studies to back this up:

"Children Need Both A Mother And A Father" Dr. A. Dean Byrd
Children Need Both A Mother And A Father

"Why Children need both Mother-Love and Father-Love" Glenn T. Stanton
http://www.jashow.org/Articles/_PDFArch ... I0804G.pdf

"Mothers' and Fathers' Socializing Behaviors in Three Contexts: Links with Children's Peer Competence"
Pettit, Gregory S.; Brown, Elizabeth Glyn; Mize, Jacquelyn; Lindsey, Eric
http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/se ... o=EJ563106

"Why Children Need a Mother and a Father" Bill Muehlenberg
http://www.billmuehlenberg.com/2010/10/ ... -a-father/

So are you an advocate of having children being removed from single parent households? Being that they are not being raised by a mother AND a father?

Dingbat

So are you an advocate of having children being removed from single parent households? Being that they are not being raised by a mother AND a father?

Indeed, how dare my mother raise her children after leaving her abusing ******* of a husband. Shame on her! Take the abuse, cheating, and ******** for the sake of the children. Nothing is better for a family than complete disfunction.:facepalm:

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
The question you posed was irrelevant. Quite obviously a loving parent or parents aren't going to teach their gay child anything along the lines of homosexuality. Your comparing apples and oranges.

Sexual orientation has nothing to do with teaching the kids gender behavior

What on earth is 'gender behavior'? Men go out and earn a living while women stay home baking cookies? Women wear skirts and men wear pants? Men are supposed to be staunchly macho and domineering while women are expected to be delacate and overly emotional? Addition: Men are the Mr. and women are the Mrs.?

Yes, I know these are ridiculous stereotypical notions, but for the life of me I can't figure out what this 'gender behavior' is, or how and why you feel it needs to be 'taught' by anyone in particular. Would you put forth a few examples?

Last edited:

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
Since I am sure the word allegation will pop up again I just want to show others what I was talking about.

Tell me what my handle and my undisclosed gender has anything to do with same sex adopting......Yes end of allegation.

Are you a female Mr.?;), Mr. Skittles?
I'll bet you're trying to emulate both your mom and dad.
They both set very good examples, didn't they. :D

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
How to hold a beer correctly.
How to perform a proper wedgie.
Don't cry.
How to belch your full name.
How to belch the alphabet.
Don't cry.
How to change a tire.
How to change the oil.
Don't cry.
How to play football.
How to play baseball.
Don't cry.
How to mow the yard.
How to wash the car.
Don't cry.
How to throw a punch.
How to take a punch.
Don't cry.

Did I get it? Was I right?
You forgot how to pee your name in the snow. :eek:

crossfire

Premium Member
What on earth is 'gender behavior'? Men go out and earn a living while women stay home baking cookies? Women wear skirts and men wear pants? Men are supposed to be staunchly macho and domineering while women are expected to be delacate and overly emotional? Men are Mr. and women are Mrs.?

Yes, I know these are ridiculous stereotypical notions, but for the life of me I can't figure out what this 'gender behavior' is, or how and why you feel it needs to be 'taught' by anyone in particular. Would you put forth a few examples?
Well, I suspect it has something to do with exactly what you can get away with when interacting with someone with different genital parts. For instance, if you grab someone's a** who has "outie" genitalia, you might get decked. It you grab someone's a** who has "innie" genitalia, it's ok--she deserved it. :areyoucra

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Studies show a link between homosexuality and sexual abuse.

A link? Shucks, HeatherAnn, are you sure you're not stretching the truth a bit here? Kinda seeing who you can make a fool of? Is that really a nice way to play?

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
I see now I came into this very late. To Mr. Skittles I will just say that many moms and sons, and dads and daughters are very close and comfortable talking with one another about biological, sexual and relational issues and topics. What any parent of any gender doesn't know from personal experience, they can always research with their child. it's not a big deal. Parents who are comfortable and open with their children, willing to admit what they don't know, and go the extra mile to find out-- are the very BEST parents. Parents who are comfortable with their children and with life in general are the ones who best teach their children to be comfortable with themselves- and with life in general. Parents who communicate well with their children are the ones who teach their children to communicate well. These qualities have nothing at all to do with gender. They have to do with personality and attitude.

If you yourself have an excellent communicative relationship with your child, you have succeeded in teaching your child how to have/engage in an excellent communicative relationship. It is necessarily so. ;)

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
I don't think I've ever had a gay man grab my a**. :confused:

Go look up the crime stats. You will see that the majority of victims of sexual abuse are women. What percentage of that do you think is perpetrated by homosexual males?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't think I've ever had a gay man grab my a**. :confused:

Years ago, I worked as a waiter in a gay bar. I've had gay men grab by a**. The odd thing is, they were always gentle and/or polite in how they did it. Go figure.

The Neo Nerd

HAHAHAHA :p

Well I would say it's because they don't want same sex relationships in the first place so denying them most rights seems like the good thing to do.

As for what I think about same sex adoption, I partly disagree with the idea.

We are animals, we are mammals...even though their have been evidence for mammals having same sex sexual relationships, ''adoption'' is a totally ''human only'' phenomenon.

I think a child is meant to be raised with both male and female presence, I believe it leads to a better balance in the psyche of the child. This cannot be demonstrated with certainty, I'm sure same sex parents can raise very intelligent and gender aware children, but I also think same sex parents can lead to misunderstandings at a very young age with negative long term effects, SOMETIMES.

I have absolutely no problem with same sex relationships, and I'm honestly not totally one sided on this, but I think it might be better for same sex partners to assume the sacrafices they have to make, such as not being able to procreate.

The evidence indicates otherwise, check out this very short video for an explanation

[youtube]318DYr_K8J4[/youtube]
Franken Takes Down Anti-Gay Witness For Mischaracterizing Study - YouTube