• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same Sex Couple Adopting

Trey of Diamonds

Ok, I have figured out why conservatives don't want same sex couples adopting, or even single LGBT persons adopting. It isn't religion, or morals, or any of those tired old excuses. Conservatives just know that LGBT folks are generally liberal and if they raise children in a liberal household they will most likely become liberal too. So they make sure as few liberals as possible are able to adopt.

Its a conservative conspiracy I tell you!

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course! How could we have been so blind?
Like your thinking, though ;). The sad thing is it makes sense. I don't understand why same sex couples can't adopt. I'm all for allowing it.

InfidelRiot

This is something I wrote back in 2005. It was too long to post here, so you will have to follow the link:
Marriage and Adoption: The Other Side of the Fence

http://wolfenstorm.livejournal.com/1739.html

For those not wanting to read the whole thing, here is the part just on adoption:

Should homosexual couples be able to legally adopt children? Some people believe that homosexual couples should not be able to legally adopt children because it would screw with the child’s understanding of the world and turn the child gay. All heterosexual couples have to explain certain things of the world to their children at one time or another. A homosexual couple explaining to the child about their union would simply be a necessary step of parenting. All serial killers and rapists came from heterosexual families, and their understanding of the world is more skewed and abnormal than anyone else’s. Therefore, if heterosexual couples can screw up their children’s lives, then homosexual couples deserve the same opportunity. Studies show that one’s environment is not a leading factor in one’s sexuality. To prove this I merely need to state that either two heterosexual parents or a single heterosexual parent raised a homosexual. Do we prevent heterosexual couples from marrying and reproducing because they may unsuspectingly raise a gay child?

Others believe that homosexual couples should not be able to legally raise children because then the kids would be picked on and made fun of for either having two mommies or two daddies. The fact of the matter is that children are always being picked on for something or another. Children are cruel like that. Is a heterosexual couple not going to bring a child into the world for fear that their baby is going to be made fun of for having to wear glasses in elementary school?

Last edited:

Wirey

Fartist
The biggest problem I see is that if gay couples raise kids, the kids will learn to be gay. Just like all those people who had heterosexual parents. They never learned to be gay.

That is how it works, right?

Gui10

Ok, I have figured out why conservatives don't want same sex couples adopting, or even single LGBT persons adopting. It isn't religion, or morals, or any of those tired old excuses. Conservatives just know that LGBT folks are generally liberal and if they raise children in a liberal household they will most likely become liberal too. So they make sure as few liberals as possible are able to adopt.

HAHAHAHA :p

Well I would say it's because they don't want same sex relationships in the first place so denying them most rights seems like the good thing to do.

As for what I think about same sex adoption, I partly disagree with the idea.

We are animals, we are mammals...even though their have been evidence for mammals having same sex sexual relationships, ''adoption'' is a totally ''human only'' phenomenon.

I think a child is meant to be raised with both male and female presence, I believe it leads to a better balance in the psyche of the child. This cannot be demonstrated with certainty, I'm sure same sex parents can raise very intelligent and gender aware children, but I also think same sex parents can lead to misunderstandings at a very young age with negative long term effects, SOMETIMES.

I have absolutely no problem with same sex relationships, and I'm honestly not totally one sided on this, but I think it might be better for same sex partners to assume the sacrafices they have to make, such as not being able to procreate.

Shuddhasattva

Male and female parenting may or may not be more balanced, but we're talking about adoption here.

Fosterhomes are generally, with few exceptions, hellish. There are so many unwanted children who very much need loving homes, regardless of the sexes or 'balance' of the parents.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Male and female parenting may or may not be more balanced, but we're talking about adoption here.

Fosterhomes are generally, with few exceptions, hellish. There are so many unwanted children who very much need loving homes, regardless of the sexes or 'balance' of the parents.

Exactly

Trey of Diamonds

I think a child is meant to be raised with both male and female presence, I believe it leads to a better balance in the psyche of the child.

I disagree completely.

^^ This ^^

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
''adoption'' is a totally ''human only'' phenomenon.

That's totally untrue. Google "animals adopting other animals" https://www.google.com/search?as_q=...t=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=

I've experienced it twice. Years ago my older spayed cat adopted a kitten who was separated from her mother. My older cat let the kitten attempt to nurse, even though the older cat was spayed three years ealier. They completely bonded as mother and child.

My female Shih tzu adopted my cat, who was also separated too soon from his mother, and was near death. When he came home from the animal hospital, my dog was constantly looking out for him, following him, nuzzling and grooming him. Now, at three years old (dog) and two years old (cat) they still groom each other, nuzzle and act as if they belong together.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
We are animals, we are mammals...even though their have been evidence for mammals having same sex sexual relationships, ''adoption'' is a totally ''human only'' phenomenon.

Other mammals also adopt.
Single dogs have been known to "adopt" other puppies, they have also been known to "adopt" kittens, ducks, squirrels, etc.
On the ranch I grew up on, we had a cow that, while on the range, "adopted" a lamb that had been abandoned by a migrant Basque sheepherder.
Imagine our surprise during the spring roundup when we saw that little wooly beast alongside a calf nursing from a bovine.
Altruism is pretty common among mammals. The real common denominator we see among mammals is that an adult, or group of adults (same sex or otherwise) raise infants until they can take care of themselves.

Shuddhasattva

Same sex animal pairs adopt too - I'm surprised this is not more common knowledge after all that fuss made over "And Tango Makes Three."

Wirey

Fartist
Alright, I have to say it: same-sex couples adopting is a horrible idea. If we let them do that, next, they'll be voting for our politicians. Before you know it, gay men will be taking our women. Is that what you want? Huh? Your wife to be a gay man?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
not true.

I think a child is meant to be raised with both male and female presence, I believe it leads to a better balance in the psyche of the child. This cannot be demonstrated with certainty, I'm sure same sex parents can raise very intelligent and gender aware children, but I also think same sex parents can lead to misunderstandings at a very young age with negative long term effects, SOMETIMES.
interesting one sided look at the situation.
What are you thoughts concerning those who have opposite sex parents, yet turn out "bad".
You know, the vast majority of the "bad" ones...

I have absolutely no problem with same sex relationships, and I'm honestly not totally one sided on this, but I think it might be better for same sex partners to assume the sacrafices they have to make, such as not being able to procreate.
Does this line of "reasoning" also apply to opposite sex couples who cannot procreate?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
My female Shih tzu adopted my cat, who was also separated too soon from his mother, and was near death. When he came home from the animal hospital, my dog was constantly looking out for him, following him, nuzzling and grooming him. Now, at three years old (dog) and two years old (cat) they still groom each other, nuzzle and act as if they belong together.
interesting how animals are willing to adopt outside their own species whilst humans are still having so much trouble adopting within its own species....

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Before you know it, gay men will be taking our women.

We want to seduce the heterosexual men. But only if they fit our particular criteria. For me, he has to be a somewhat padded and muscled bear. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
interesting how animals are willing to adopt outside their own species whilst humans are still having so much trouble adopting within its own species....

Maybe we're not as evolved as we like to believe. ;)

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice

I always suspected it. ;)

Very true.