• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ruining Humanity

PureX

Veteran Member
Religious leaders teach (or indoctrinate) from their holy book. Many people read their holy book and accept what it teaches them without question.
Lots of people are stupid. I agree. They let other people tell them what to think. But that's a people problem, not a religious or even a cultural one. It's not going to be solved by blaming or even eliminating religion.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Lots of people are stupid. I agree. They let other people tell them what to to think. But that's a people problem, not a religious or even a cultural one. It's not going to be solved by blaming or even eliminating religion.

Its a religious problem if religion and its leaders milk that stupidity

PureX

Veteran Member
Its a religious problem if religion and its leaders milk that stupidity
Well, actually, that's a control issue. We humans, or at least some of us, really want to control everything and everyone around us. While others of us WANT to be controlled, and willingly allow it. Even seek it out. And religion is ONE of the ways these people find each other and engage in their mutual control dependency. There are plenty of others, though. And if you removed religion from the human experience, that desire to control and to be controlled would remain. And would just engage in some other method of expression. Like commerce, or politics, or warfare.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Well, actually, that's a control issue. We humans, or at least some of us, really want to control everything and everyone around us. While others of us WANT to be controlled, and willingly allow it. Even seek it out. And religion is ONE of the ways these people find each other and engage in their mutual control dependency. There are plenty of others, though. And if you removed religion from the human experience, that desire to control and to be controlled would remain. And would just engage in some other method of expression. Like commerce, or politics, or warfare.

Yrs, and?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Pre-agriculture? Pre-permanent settlements?

That's kind of the part that's open to interpretation.

I would agree that agriculture - AS IT'S ALWAYS BEEN DONE - is a part of our downfall. But there are ways to do agriculture sustainably, e.g., no-till, multi-culture, permaculture and so on.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I would agree that agriculture - AS IT'S ALWAYS BEEN DONE - is a part of our downfall. But there are ways to do agriculture sustainably, e.g., no-till, multi-culture, permaculture and so on.
Like get rid of all the bad elements in the soil?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Pre-agriculture? Pre-permanent settlements?

That's kind of the part that's open to interpretation.
people die anyway, right? pre- or post agriculture. Maybe you think they'll just die without suffering. pre or post.

Little Dragon

Is Religion and Spirituality somehow to blame for the downfall of society?

The ecological and moral destruction that we see at hand?

Is religion and spirituality a symptom? Or is it a cure for human ills?
Na.

Greed, selfishness, shortsightedness, indifference to human suffering....they are the god damned problems. Not religion, not even belief.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
So what do you make of this;
'And I saw thrones, and those who sat on them were given authority to judge. Yes, I saw the souls* of those executed* for the witness they gave about Jesus and for speaking about God, and those who had not worshipped the wild beast or its image and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand.+ And they came to life and ruled as kings with the Christ+ for 1,000 years.'

Source: https://www.jw.org/en/library/bible/nwt/books/revelation/20/

Specifically what do you think they are going to judge, peoples tax affairs?
Oh for goodness sake….

They are no longer humans.
Jesus also told his apostles @ Matthew 19:28, “You will sit on thrones and judge the twelve tribes of Israel”; they did not ‘sit on thrones & judge’ while they were humans, did they? No.
But now, they are powerful spirit creatures, like angels. No longer human.

Neither are those you mentioned in Revelation 20.

Again, no humans serving Christ & worshiping Jehovah take part in killing God’s enemies. Or anyone else, for that matter.

Besides, from what I understand, there won’t be any system for tax collection under God’s Kingdom rule over Earth. :)

danieldemol

Premium Member
Oh for goodness sake….

They are no longer humans.
Jesus also told his apostles @ Matthew 19:28, “You will sit on thrones and judge the twelve tribes of Israel”; they did not ‘sit on thrones & judge’ while they were humans, did they? No.
But now, they are powerful spirit creatures, like angels. No longer human.

Neither are those you mentioned in Revelation 20.

Again, no humans serving Christ & worshiping Jehovah take part in killing God’s enemies. Or anyone else, for that matter.

Besides, from what I understand, there won’t be any system for tax collection under God’s Kingdom rule over Earth. :)
Whether they are human or not is irrelevant if they are the same people as I see it.

Perhaps you should have mentioned in the first post I addressed that it is OK for religions to "take sides in conflicts, supporting the killing of others" so long as it is only their spirit followers who are taking sides in conflicts and supporting the killing of others.

Of course if Jesus is going to take sides in the Armageddon conflict and kill or support the killing of others and you are on his side now as a human believing he is going to kill or support the killing of others then you are taking sides in a future conflict now as a human and supporting the future killing of others now as a human in my view.

Therefore if it is wrong to be part of a religion that "take sides in conflicts, supporting the killing of others" then if that is true you are necessarily in the wrong religion. I suggest Jainism for a suitable replacement (jocularly).

...Look at how the white evangelicals overwhelmingly supported Trump. That's a failed moral program. Humanists knew better. They're the ones now called Trump haters, but more accurately, they hate hate as it should be.
It seems the humanists have ignited WW3 already. I don't think they are good.

It also tells off genocide, murder, slavery, rape, and theft either by the Abraham god or in his name are you ignoring the violence?
That it tells people have done wrong things, is not the same as saying it is ok to do wrong things.

I would like to know a scripture in the Bible that mentions rape. Do you know any?

ChristineM

Premium Member
That it tells people have done wrong things, is not the same as saying it is ok to do wrong things.

I would like to know a scripture in the Bible that mentions rape. Do you know any?

So the bible is wrong, thanks for the confirmation

I don't think the word rape is mentioned but what would you call killing someones father then taking the virgin daughter as a wife (sex slave, rape victim)