• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Repetitive Debates and Standard Answers?

Laika

Premium Member
Hey everyone,

I’m thinking about how best to approach debates on communism, but it could well apply to any number of subjects on the forum. The level of discussion largely consists of people independently repeating the same claims over and over. For every person you respond to, there are about 10 or 20 ready to step in and make exactly the same claim or very slight variations on it at a later date. Hence you end up having the same discussion over and over again. There isn’t a perfect solution to this but trying to respond to each one is maddening and demoralising like a game of whack-a-male: for every one you respond to, another one or two pop up! It never stops and goes on indefinitely...

Would it bother anyone if I occasionally used a set of standard answers to reply to the most typical positions just to make life on the forum a little easier? Maybe a paragraph or two in length?

This obviously isn’t limited to a single subject and I’m more than happy to listen to people’s advice and experiences to take the sting out of the online “war of attrition” that goes on. If you have ANY alternative suggestions to deal with the very repetitive kinds of debate, I’m all ears!

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
You mean comments like why's a nice guy like you kicking around with a socio-political worldview called communism?

PureX

Veteran Member
Would it bother anyone if I occasionally used a set of standard answers to reply to the most typical positions just to make life on the forum a little easier? Maybe a paragraph or two in length?

This obviously isn’t limited to a single subject and I’m more than happy to listen to people’s advice and experiences to take the sting out of the online “war of attrition” that goes on. If you have ANY alternative suggestions to deal with the very repetitive kinds of debate, I’m all ears!
I doubt that anyone would even know you were doing it.

Laika

Premium Member
I doubt that anyone would even know you were doing it.

I just wanted to make sure it wouldn’t be classed as spam. If its done well, no-one will notice if I am replaced by a Russian bot.

“Komrads! Let us toast motherland with vodka and tell stories over campfire of gulag!” :D

exchemist

Veteran Member
Hey everyone,

I’m thinking about how best to approach debates on communism, but it could well apply to any number of subjects on the forum. The level of discussion largely consists of people independently repeating the same claims over and over. For every person you respond to, there are about 10 or 20 ready to step in and make exactly the same claim or very slight variations on it at a later date. Hence you end up having the same discussion over and over again. There isn’t a perfect solution to this but trying to respond to each one is maddening and demoralising like a game of whack-a-male: for every one you respond to, another one or two pop up! It never stops and goes on indefinitely...

Isn't the answer to reply only to those posts that make an interesting point?

I don't see that flooding the forum with stock answers to stock reactions helps anybody learn anything.

Laika

Premium Member
One thing I have thought about doing myself, is adding a FAQ section before-hand to some of my longer posts.

It probably won’t hurt to try. :) its a bit dull, but if you can reduce it down to two or three bullet points- or even use headings to break it up- it can make longer posts more user friendly.

Just have a go and see what happen!

Isn't the answer to reply only to those posts that make an interesting point?

For me, the interesting ones are those which force me to stop and I think and go “I don’t know”. Right now, I have a soviet text book on relativity and quantum physics I’m working up to reading. Its dense as hell but is going to be an “edge of your seat” kind of read for challenging my own preconceptions on the nature of the universe, like reading some ancient buddhist text on meditation. Its an area so remote outside of western understanding that you can find maybe two or three decent books on it. Type “Einstein soviet physics” on amazon.co.uk and you get 5 results. Only 1 is relevant and guess what- I own it! :D

To give an example of where the discussion is at, I’ve seen the phrase “communism looks good in theory but doesn’t work in practice” so many times that one time I actually searched it on google. One discussion suggested it went back to a news article in the 1950’s and has been repeated- near word for word- in the 70 years since. Of all the times its been debated and rejected, it comes back! Now we have the internet, you can see that process of recycling old arguments at work.

Having debated the far left for 15 years, I’m more than able to respond to the points that come up. But its hard to get excited about two or three words answers like “communism failed” and “human nature” and “lack of incentives” that get taken as the final judgement on the subject. Whatever might be “Interesting” gets suffocated under the torrent of decade old stereotyped responses.

I don't see that flooding the forum with stock answers to stock reactions helps anybody learn anything.

The word “communist” gets about 50-100 hits in the search results for RF each month. Thats less than 0.1% of all posts on the forums within a month. If you break it down you’d probably find a-lot of them are jokes and minor mentions tangental to the original discussion. So the stock answers may be no more than 10 or 20 a month at best. And thats assuming I can be bothered. That’s a trickle rather than a flood.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey everyone,

I think it largely depends on the context. I've seen the typical debates about communism over the course of my lifetime. I've observed that the main thrust of the argument seems to involve comparing the United States at its peak with the Soviet Union (or sometimes China) at its nadir.

Ultimately, the "debate" boils down to competing (and often disingenuous) perceptions, where the US is portrayed as a "land of plenty," while the USSR is/was portrayed as a land of deprivation and scarcity.

Apart from that, back during the Cold War, it was also common to refer to them as "godless communists," although in more recent times, rebuking someone for being an "atheist" is not so much a dirty word as it used to be. That was the argument that pushed the Bible Belt four square into the anti-communist camp. Americans were mostly anti-monarchist throughout our history, so there was no real ideological dispute with the idea of a classless society advocated by communists. But the communists' atheism was extremely distasteful to the more devoutly religious, even if they agreed in theory with advancing the interests of the working classes.

Another common argument often advanced by anti-communists involves pointing out the scourges of the state and the methods of oppression, such as show trials, purges, gulags, and other such excesses which occurred mainly under Stalin (which were even denounced by his successor). This line of argumentation generally involves a "scoreboard" of body counts, along with a lot of judgmentalism, self-righteousness, sanctimony, and holier-than-thou attitudes which are typical of the Western bourgeoisie. They'll typically say something like "Look at how many people died under Stalin and Mao. Therefore, communism is evil and much worse than capitalism."

Of course, one could easily point out the millions who died under capitalism, but then they'll use an intellectually dishonest trick and claim that it's "whataboutism" to point out the flaws of capitalism. Even though they're the ones who are basing their entire position on a comparison between communism and capitalism, they suddenly cry foul when the same line of argumentation is used against them.

Moreover, the typical anti-communist will attempt to box in the argument and try to confine the parameters solely to a comparison between the United States today versus Stalin's USSR or Mao's China.

Even taking into consideration the atrocities of slavery, expansionism, and genocide, the death toll in the United States is still relatively low compared to the tens of millions who are said to have perished in the USSR and China. We didn't kill as many in America, so this implies that we are morally superior and therefore qualified to judge our adversaries.

And that might be all well and good if someone is arguing that "America is better than Russia" (regardless of whichever political system or form of government either has).

But if one is attempting to argue that one abstract "system" is superior to another abstract "system," then that's a completely different argument. Then it's no longer just about America or Russia.

Another aspect which tends to cloud the debate is that, historically, elements of nationalism were evident in both the communist and non-communist worlds. Modern Western capitalists would sharply condemn and decry the nationalistic elements of colonialism and racism in our nations' pasts. They would also condemn the sweatshops, beatings, and child labor associated with capitalism of yesteryear and suggest that they now support a "kinder, gentler" version of capitalism.

But there was also certain embrace of nationalism in the communist world, too. That's where there has been some measure of ideological conflict. For a time, the ideal of national liberation from the colonial powers was an effective vehicle for anti-imperialist factions to unite against the common enemy. But it's the nationalistic elements which have also served to create barriers to any real unity among communist nations, and that's how they were broken.

That's probably where the debate between communism and capitalism might be more productive, at least in the sense of arguing their merits without bringing up the nationalistic elements.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It probably won’t hurt to try. :) its a bit dull, but if you can reduce it down to two or three bullet points- or even use headings to break it up- it can make longer posts more user friendly.

Just have a go and see what happen!

For me, the interesting ones are those which force me to stop and I think and go “I don’t know”. Right now, I have a soviet text book on relativity and quantum physics I’m working up to reading. Its dense as hell but is going to be an “edge of your seat” kind of read for challenging my own preconceptions on the nature of the universe, like reading some ancient buddhist text on meditation. Its an area so remote outside of western understanding that you can find maybe two or three decent books on it. Type “Einstein soviet physics” on amazon.co.uk and you get 5 results. Only 1 is relevant and guess what- I own it! :D

To give an example of where the discussion is at, I’ve seen the phrase “communism looks good in theory but doesn’t work in practice” so many times that one time I actually searched it on google. One discussion suggested it went back to a news article in the 1950’s and has been repeated- near word for word- in the 70 years since. Of all the times its been debated and rejected, it comes back! Now we have the internet, you can see that process of recycling old arguments at work.

Having debated the far left for 15 years, I’m more than able to respond to the points that come up. But its hard to get excited about two or three words answers like “communism failed” and “human nature” and “lack of incentives” that get taken as the final judgement on the subject. Whatever might be “Interesting” gets suffocated under the torrent of decade old stereotyped responses.

The word “communist” gets about 50-100 hits in the search results for RF each month. Thats less than 0.1% of all posts on the forums within a month. If you break it down you’d probably find a-lot of them are jokes and minor mentions tangental to the original discussion. So the stock answers may be no more than 10 or 20 a month at best. And thats assuming I can be bothered. That’s a trickle rather than a flood.
I see. If you are trying to make a positive case for communism then you will have an uphill struggle and I cannot advise you. I am, after all, one of the 99% of people who regard it as an irrecoverable failure - except where practised voluntarily in small communities such as monasteries.

Laika

Premium Member
I see. If you are trying to make a positive case for communism then you will have an uphill struggle and I cannot advise you. I am, after all, one of the 99% of people who regard it as an irrecoverable failure - except where practised voluntarily in small communities such as monasteries.

That's fair enough. I appreciate your thoughts nonetheless. ;)

I guess you could say i'm looking for a more practical way for that 1 person to debate the other 99 without getting repetitive strain injury from typing! :D

exchemist

Veteran Member
That's fair enough. I appreciate your thoughts nonetheless. ;)

I guess you could say i'm looking for a more practical way for that 1 person to debate the other 99 without getting repetitive strain injury from typing! :D
OK. Pick and choose, then. Find one person interested in pursuing the subject beyond one line dismissals and carry on a discussion with them. The rest can be spectators.

My personal contention is that the idea of private possessions, gained though one's own efforts, is one of the most fundamental principles in human social behaviour. Attempting to take them away, for a greater collective good, is never something you will get large numbers of people to subscribe to. So you have to force them. At that point you have a coercive state.

I remember a story about one nun telling another one that she had lost "our" false teeth - meaning her own! In that community they spoke and acted as if everything was held collectively. But then they had taken a lifelong vow. Of poverty.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
I don't think you can. No one is willing to change their opinion, especially on an issue with so much propaganda involved. You know, the whole 'godless communist' sort of thing.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
is this a test?

I find myself repeating what I believe in.....to several topics
seems I have developed a routine song and dance

I hope you don't mind

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey everyone,

The strategy I started using a while back was to link back to a previous thread where I explained my position on something in depth. That seemed helpful to me because then people can go back and see what follow up questions were asked, how I responded, etc.

Laika

Premium Member
The strategy I started using a while back was to link back to a previous thread where I explained my position on something in depth. That seemed helpful to me because then people can go back and see what follow up questions were asked, how I responded, etc.

That's really useful. Thanks for that. :)

OK. Pick and choose, then. Find one person interested in pursuing the subject beyond one line dismissals and carry on a discussion with them. The rest can be spectators.

For RF, they might mean trying to do more "one-on-one" debates. So that could work. :thumbsup:

My personal contention is that the idea of private possessions, gained though one's own efforts, is one of the most fundamental principles in human social behaviour. Attempting to take them away, for a greater collective good, is never something you will get large numbers of people to subscribe to. So you have to force them. At that point you have a coercive state.

I don't know your personal views, but that could well be used by a libertarian to argue that taxation is a form of theft because it is not a voluntary transaction. The state coerces people to surrender part of their income with the threat of imprisonment if they do not comply. In taking away a person's private property for "a greater collective good" requires a "coercive state" such as one we might already have now, (e.g. in the US, you have the armed forces, prisons, courts and police to coerce the population to obey the law).

To have an organised society, even one based on voluntary co-operation, we have to accept that a collective good takes precedence over individual self-interest and private property to some degree. We no longer believe that the state belongs to an individual (as in a Monarchy) but belongs to the public and have accepted republican and democratic systems of government because the people own the state and have the right to control it. Even in a capitalist economy if we are to facilitate the transactions that take place within a market, we still need a legal system to set down a set of rules which everyone should expected to abide by. This protects our property against fraud or theft and protects us from people who may wish us harm. Although we may be individuals, our freedom is dependent on our willingness to agree by some set of rules taking precedence over individual desires and whims. I would argue you cannot have private property without having some kind of public institutions to enforce the law (including property rights)-although some on the right would dispute that pretty strongly.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Many people are not interested in anyone's opinion but their own. I've even seen that when someone opens the third thread on exactly the same topic rather than adding on to an existing one.

Maybe the same repetitive answers are right so they are repeated over and over.

The same questions do tend to come up and the same question does tend to evoke the same responses. But being right has nothing necessarily to do with it. People can and do repeat the same wrong answer .