• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religions pet peeve/annoyances you have?

The common assumption that because I'm American that I'm Christian. Though I suppose they would be correct most of the time, people talk to me as if we all share the same God. I generally don't want to be rude so I listen without comment.

Perhaps it is more rude not to first ask one's belief before assuming a shared one.

I think that is more rude like you said

Orbit

I'm a planet
My pet peeve here in the U.S. is the assumption that everyone is Christian, and secondarily the belief that everyone should be Christian.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What are annoyances and small complaints you have about yours, others, or just religion as a topic?

Most theists don't annoy me. But there are a few behaviors that are commonly seen that can be.

I find it pretty off-putting for theists to write as if they have truth, and that those who don't agree with them are morally defective, perhaps described as being rebellious or trying to hide from authority to live a hedonistic life. Who are these people offering unsolicited life advice to strangers that they assume is needed for not being religious?

It's a mystery why so few theists can understand what an atheists is or believes, and won't even try to understand what the atheist is telling them. The atheist will correct the theist, and the theist will still tell the atheist (mistakenly) what he actually believes. Look at how many threads are started here on RF that begins with "Why do atheists ...," and the first few responses are, "Who does that?"

Calling atheism a religion and science a faith-based pursuit evokes contempt.

I bristle when others use the word Christian to mean moral or clean. We used to have a cabin in the woods, and our property was off limits to hunters and recreational vehicles, but people didn't always respect that. When the people in the neighboring cabin let their grandkids ride ATVs through our property, which leaves ruts, damages the plant life, makes a lot of unwanted noise, and terrifies the wildlife, I went to that cabin to ask that they not let the kids do that. I spoke to the man, and he was fine with the request, but about fifteen minutes later, his wife stormed angrily over to our cabin saying that we were being unfair, and that the kids were just having some good Christian fun. Don't like to see people using their religion to defend bad behavior. Oh, and beware the guy with the fish on his business card. He's probably doing the same thing.

I still have no idea why theists read to atheists from their holy books, but it's also a bit off-putting to see it. I generally have to refrain from sarcasm. OK, that's what Jesus recommends. Superman disagrees. It's right here in Marvel 3:16. Oh, you don't consider that authoritative?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Always get the donut hour after, if you stay enough time you can get all that is in the box after :)

Before covid policies we had prasad at the temple. Prasad is food offered to the deities, blessed by them then shared with whomever is present. It’s usually steam table trays of various rices, various dal (lentils), or other vegetarian fare. People would come on weekends as a family and have lunch. Those wild and krrrraaazy Hindus. :D But that stopped with the advent of covid policies.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
What are annoyances and small complaints you have about yours, others, or just religion as a topic? If any :) Very anecdote heavy thread

I didn't like stress for clothing to a church recently, I am always underdressed in it because it's always fancier than what I own but I went anyway
One day I'll get the right hats and look like a "praise God all the time" lady
No religion, so nothing to complain about. Apart from the stupidity apparently encouraged by those religious beliefs that support a literal interpretation of some text (usually the Bible), and hence why we might get YECs and the short timespan humans and/or life have been on Earth, despite all the good scientific evidence to dismiss such notions. But for such people, carry on as usual - your stupidity, your life. :oops:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I am mildly annoyed at temple going men who can't be bothered to dress nicely. I'll see families where Mom is dressed in salwar kameez or sari, and the kids are dressed nice but Dad's in jeans and a t-shirt.

Clara Tea

What are annoyances and small complaints you have about yours, others, or just religion as a topic? If any :) Very anecdote heavy thread

I didn't like stress for clothing to a church recently, I am always underdressed in it because it's always fancier than what I own but I went anyway

BIBLE REQUIREMENTS (NEEDS WOMEN'S LIB):

1. Women must be seen and not heard. Shut up and be a baby machine. And....heaven forbid that you vote or speak up for political issues or religious issues.

2. Dress nicely for your husband.

3. Forgive your husband (repeatedly) when he strays and has sex with other women (repeatedly).

4. Jesus taught that churches should tend to the poor, and he railed against the expensive bobbles (graven images, among them) of churches while the poor were neglected. So, isn't it inconsistent with the "dress up" attitude? If they have a problem with poverty, should they demand neater or more stylish clothing, or should they provide such clothing?

BIBLE VERSES ABOUT DRESSING MODESTLY:

In the time of Jesus, many people were naked or barely clothed.

What Does the Bible Say About Dressing Modestly?

Please look at the hyperlink above at thirteen bible passages about dressing modestly.

Notice that one should not wear pearls (ditto, in Revelations when they described the nation that went to war with Iraq and conquered Iraq (called the Whore of Babylon, in Revelation 17:18). Note: According to Revelation in the bible, the Whore of Babylon is the United States, President George H. W. Bush (the dragon demon) whose wife, Barbara, was so proud of her simple pearl necklace), and President W. Bush (the beast demon).

Whore of Babylon description: Revelation 17:4, KJV: "And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:"

In other words, American women are supposed to wear precious stones, gold, and pearls, and have abominations, because America is the Whore of Babylon....an abomination in God's eyes. This is why God will kill us, according to Revelation.

Revelation 18:16, KJV: "And saying, Alas, alas, that great city, that was clothed in fine linen, and purple, and scarlet, and decked with gold, and precious stones, and pearls!" (That great city is Washington, D. C., and the nation is the United States).

Revelation 18:
After this I saw another angel coming down from heaven, having great authority, and the earth was made bright with his glory. 2 And he called out with a mighty voice,

Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great!
She has become a dwelling place for demons,
a haunt for every unclean spirit,
a haunt for every unclean bird,
a haunt for every unclean and detestable beast.
3 For all nations have drunk
the wine of the passion of her sexual immorality,
and the kings of the earth have committed immorality with her,
and the merchants of the earth have grown rich from the power of her luxurious living.”

It is forbidden to change the meaning of Revelation, and the punishment for changing the meaning is to be written out of the book of life for eternity (no heaven). Modern preachers are changing the meaning of Revelation, saying that Babylon (in Revelation 18) must be some other Babylon, not the one that has been there for thousands of years.

Sexual immorality....sex affair of Present George H. W. Bush and Jennifer Fitzgerald, and sex affair of Clinton and Lewinsky. Soldiers have raped the women of Iraq, and those rapes have been covered up.

1 Peter 3:3-5
Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands,

Last edited:

Clara Tea

No religion, so nothing to complain about. Apart from the stupidity apparently encouraged by those religious beliefs that support a literal interpretation of some text (usually the Bible), and hence why we might get YECs and the short timespan humans and/or life have been on Earth, despite all the good scientific evidence to dismiss such notions. But for such people, carry on as usual - your stupidity, your life. :oops:

The bible says to dress modestly, not in gold or pearls (like Barbara Bush's simple pearl necklace).

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Some sects are just toxic psychologically. They blindly follow a fearless leaders, who more often than not becomes corrupted by the amount of power he has. They control minute aspects of your life, and tend to separate you from friends and family. They use the threat of shunning as a way of controlling you. Usually the word cult used as the collective label for these sects.

I do not like sects that place undo burdens on women. This can range anywhere from saying "the man is the head of the house" to saying you have to have sleeves down below your elbows on a day where it is above 100 F. I don't like women having our voices stifled, whether it is women not speaking in the Churches as in Chrsitianity, or in not singing in the presence of men they are not related to as in Orthodox Judaism. There are forms of Islam where a woman is not allowed to walk down the street without a male companion. In some sects, women cannot work, cannot even have an education. I think it is obscene to marry off teenage girls (and they are GIRLS) to older men. Have I left anything out? Probably.

DNB

Christian

I cringe every time that someone claims to hear the voice of God, or that He speaks to them often. Or, how blessed and endowed with the spirit that they are.
I believe that God speaks to people, and the He bestows His spirit accordingly. But, these circumstances are extremely rare because they require a great deal of humility and faith in order to obtain them, of which the majority of people just don't have. ...yes, including myself (but wish I did).

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I am mildly annoyed at temple going men who can't be bothered to dress nicely. I'll see families where Mom is dressed in salwar kameez or sari, and the kids are dressed nice but Dad's in jeans and a t-shirt.

That always made me curious... it took years to get my husband to dress properly for the temple. I don't know what the hang up is that many men seem to have with it...

I thought that was just my parish who gave out donuts. Interesting

My dad forced me to go to 'Sunday School' until I was about 14. Doughnuts is the only thing I remember from that time.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

No annoyance with any religion/ spiritual teachings.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Gang mentality. Tribalism.

1) When people argue that the Christian God hates gay people. Then why am I gay then?

2) When people make religion their whole lives. People, you have to at least live a little, just in case there isn't anything after this.

3) When people argue over what certain scriptures mean. It's literally there to be interpreted how you want it.