• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religions pet peeve/annoyances you have?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Clothes do not make the person. Some cannot afford good clothing
But EVERY person can choose whether to wear their best to church, or to wear what they would wear for a day in the park.

I live in a very very poor area, and I know a church where all the men, for example, do not wear jeans and wear a button down shirt. You can get those things at a thrift shop.

It's a matter of desire.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
**MOD POST**

This thread is in a non-debate area of the forum. Any posts that incite debate or are of debate in nature may be moderated under Rule 10 of the RF Rules.

We Never Know

No Slack
What are annoyances and small complaints you have about yours, others, or just religion as a topic? If any :) Very anecdote heavy thread

I didn't like stress for clothing to a church recently, I am always underdressed in it because it's always fancier than what I own but I went anyway
One day I'll get the right hats and look like a "praise God all the time" lady

Keep one thing in mind, a god won't care what you wear. Said god sees you when you are dressed, naked, clean, dirty, in the shower, going poop or whatever.
Said god always sees you no matter how you're dressed or what you're doing.

Truth&Hope

Jesus Freak
What are annoyances and small complaints you have about yours, others, or just religion as a topic? If any :) Very anecdote heavy thread

I didn't like stress for clothing to a church recently, I am always underdressed in it because it's always fancier than what I own but I went anyway

Clapping in church.

Triumph

FREEDOM OF SPEECH

One annoyance is people do not think when they read Bible passages.
For example, in the story of Moses in Egypt when the "first born sons" were killed in their sleep, people assume that was babies and young children. Infants are the LAST born in a family unless the parents are young newly wed. The FIRST born son in an established family would be a man of warrior age able to enter an army. God commands not to kill but Moses disregards that Commandment and does as Moses pleases. Moses had his men kill Egyptian men of fighting age as they were asleep. They then took their gold jewelry that the Hebrews claimed was "borrowed" and given willingly but obviously they had no intent of returning the gold as the Hebrews turned it into a golden calf to worship. Jesus said they were thieves and they were.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Absolute rubbish translations of sanskrit Hindu chants in you tube videos....

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I find hugging strangers and saying you love them is a bit disturbing and unsettling.

It was certainly a cringe worthy practice when I was a Christian.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I find hugging strangers and saying you love them is a bit disturbing and unsettling.

It was certainly a cringe worthy practice when I was a Christian.
I think the idea is that if they are a member of your congregation, then they are not strangers, but family.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
The misrepresentation that is invariably involved in syncretism and perennialism.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
In real life, when coworkers or peers ask me what my religion is. I don't really want to have those discussions with them and even when I answer, "It's private," they usually treat that as an invitation to make up insidious lies about what I believe.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I'm not a Christian anymore, but I have a couple of annoyances from when I was a devout Christian.

My first annoyance...

I was severely abused and perpetually bullied while I was growing up. In spite of the living hell that I was literally trapped in, I still had an unwavering faith in the Christian God when I was a child up until my early teenage years. In fact, I'd constantly pray and ask God to save me from all the abuse and bullying that I was forced to endure, but all my sincere prayers went unanswered, and I endured the abuse and bullying for 13 1/2 years. It didn't stop until I took the matter into my own hands when I was 18. I stood up against my abusive brother and mother because I fought back against them. I threatened to call the police on my brother if he ever hit me again. I blatantly told him that there's not a damn thing mom and dad can do about it. He looked at my dad and my dad said, "She's right!" My brother never laid a hand on me again, and my mom never hit me again, either. I scared the hell out of them.

I said all that to say this... I've shared my story with Christians in the past and the typical responses have been: (1) "You obviously didn't have enough faith that God would help you," (2) "You must have had sin in your life, so God decided not to answer your prayers," (3) "God allowed you to suffer the abuse, so you could help other people who also suffer from abuse," and my personal favorite (sarcasm) came from an evangelical pastor I had counseled with, "You're obviously a cursed soul and God is punishing you for the sins of your biological parents." He then proceeded to tell me that it's become obvious to him that God hates me. This is the same pastor who would stand behind the podium on Sunday mornings and tell the congregation that God sent his son to die for them because he loves them. He also told them that God is their heavenly father, and he will always take care of them and protect them. And I'm sitting there in the pew listening to his sermon, thinking, "What could I have possibly done to make God hate me?"

My second annoyance...

"You're not a 'real Christian' because you don't pray to God like you're supposed to," or "You don't believe [fill in the blank] like I do," or "You don't follow the right Christian doctrine," or "You voted Democratic, and all Democrats are anti-Christian," or "You don't support Trump." I've actually been griped out and accused of these last two accusations by evangelical Christians, who also accused me of being demon possessed because I voted for Joe Biden, and apparently, I'm going to hell because I voted for him.

Last edited: