• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Regarding the Filtering of Profanity

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What sometimes drives me nuts is when a supposed profanity is inside a perfectly good word. See if you can guess what I am complaining about:

I have a Nigerian friend. Im not sure about the new software but the old always starred his place of birth out, and now I'll see if the new software does the same.

Edit
Oh great stuff, Nigeria is no longer considered profane

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
That's quite a contortionist act.

My father had a silly joke. He would say "I know someone who bit himself in the backside". Then "He put his dentures in his back pocket and sat down too quickly".
I'm quite flexible.

Never bit my own hind end, though. And I'd like to keep it that way.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have a Nigerian friend. Im not sure about the new software but the old always starred his place of birth out, and now I'll see if the new software does the same.

Edit
Was it ever? I would think that two g's would be needed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
... and that perfectly good word is part of an URL. I don't remember what the word was but I had to create a tinyurl to post the link. Iirc it had something to do with concatenating two words like "bit" and "chip".
I'm surprised that we can post the word "pass".

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I have a beautiful memory of Topolino, a Disney comic...
Topolino is what we call Mickey Mouse, indeed.

And whenever Donald Duck used to go on a rampage, he used to say in the speech bubble, something like @#%/§,
I recall all these signs that used to mean that he was cursing.

LOL :)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Or better, I recall also these

1698778240756.jpeg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The reason the policy is in place isn't about how obsessed a person might get over a word.

Religious Forums is responsible for maintaining PG-13 content in accordance with our agreement with our site sponsors.
That just means there are obsessed word sensitive people further along down the pipe. "0)

exchemist

Veteran Member

Edit
What you describe appears to be an instance of what has become known as the “Scunthorpe Problem” for programmers: Scunthorpe problem - Wikipedia

Seems to be quite tricky, technically.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to own a business if it's not profitable.

And if it was not profitable, we probably wouldn't be here right now.
The idea of a message board as a business is a bizarre idea to me, especially when the people making the money and the decisions aren't even members of the community. We don't even know who these people are. I've never come across a forum that was setup like that and I've been on many. But I'll just leave that alone.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The idea of a message board as a business is a bizarre idea to me, especially when the people making the money and the decisions aren't even members of the community. We don't even know who these people are. I've never come across a forum that was setup like that and I've been on many. But I'll just leave that alone.
Message boards aren't free for owners. There are costs involved in purchasing a URL, a server, maintaining visibility, IT support, and probably most importantly, time.

While there may be a few high traffic forums out there who are run by hobbyists, most forums that are as active is this one are businesses. You might be surprised by the time and money involved in maintaining such a venture.