• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Regarding the Filtering of Profanity

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
What sometimes drives me nuts is when a supposed profanity is inside a perfectly good word. See if you can guess what I am complaining about:

I know what you mean. See if you can guess what this word is supposed to be: Bere****.

It's the common transliteration of the Hebrew word for the Book of Genesis (literally meaning "in the beginning") and commonly used by Jews.

Instead of attempting to write this word out here, I've now taken to writing out a phonetic approximation of the word, which the filter permits: Beresheet.

It's not that it's a big deal for me to consciously remember to change that word whenever I intend to use it here. I'm just saying that it was a surprise the first time I discovered that I couldn't type Bere**** here. I don't imagine that I'm the first person to have encountered this here, seeing as how these are Religious Forums.

To the Moderators (@JustGeorge @SalixIncendium @Quagmire @Debater Slayer @Brickjectivity and others): Please know I'm not complaining, although I wonder whether it's possible to exclude the word Bere**** from the profanity filter somehow? And, thank you for all your good work here.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I know what you mean. See if you can guess what this word is supposed to be: Bere****.

It's the common transliteration of the Hebrew word for the Book of Genesis (literally meaning "in the beginning") and commonly used by Jews.

Instead of attempting to write this word out here, I've now taken to writing out a phonetic approximation of the word, which the filter permits: Beresheet.

It's not that it's a big deal for me to consciously remember to change that word whenever I intend to use it here. I'm just saying that it was a surprise the first time I discovered that I couldn't type Bere**** here. I don't imagine that I'm the first person to have encountered this here, seeing as how these are Religious Forums.

To the Moderators (@JustGeorge @SalixIncendium @Quagmire @Debater Slayer @Brickjectivity and others): Please know I'm not complaining, although I wonder whether it's possible to exclude the word Bere**** from the profanity filter somehow? And, thank you for all your good work here.
I think we cannot fix it: based upon the following thread about zenforo's profanity filter.

Actually this question has come up before.

A different workaround might be to get permission in site feedback to circumvent the filter for this word only. With permission you would type something like 'Beresheit' or 'Bereshzt' without risking a moderator edit.