1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Raised in your religion, or converted?

Discussion in 'Interfaith Discussion' started by dyanaprajna2011, Mar 30, 2014.

?
  1. Born into

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. Converted

31 vote(s)
    75.6%
  1. dyanaprajna2011

dyanaprajna2011 Dharmapala

Ratings:
    +546
    Religion:
    Buddhism
    A quick little poll to see how many of us at RF were born into our religion, or converted.

2. Vouthon

Vouthon In varietate concordia
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,076
    Religion:
    Catholic Christianity
    I was brought up in the Catholic Faith

3. JayaBholenath

JayaBholenath Local demon

Ratings:
    +1,221
    Religion:
    Hindu
    Raised up in a agnostic family, they tried to get me interested to Christianity because of tradition, but I made my choice and definitely settled from agnostic to Hindu.

4. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver

Ratings:
    +15,406
    Religion:
    Druidry
    I don't think either of those options describes my history particularly well. :shrug:

I left the religion I was introduced to as a child too early for me to really say I was "raised" in it. I'd always been building my own religion - my own answers to the big questions - and I continued doing that after I left. It was only many years later that I became aware of religious options that already described what I'd been doing. As such, I wouldn't really say I "converted" either. It was more of an "oh, so that's what I'm called. Cool?"

5. nazz

nazz Doubting Thomas

Ratings:
    +518
    Religion:
    Gnostic Christian
    Not sure "converted" is the right word but yeah, not born into it.

6. Breathe

Breathe Hostis humani generis

Ratings:
    +1,773
    Religion:
    Syncretic, Personal Panentheism
    I wasn't born into my beliefs. I was raised irreligiously.

7. 4consideration

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,909
    Tough call. I think the answer is neither.

I think I've been on my own path for my whole life. Part of it began under a specific religion, and I think it was some of those teachings of that religion (that I should follow truth as I understand it to be) that lead me to honor and follow what I believed to be so -- which also resulted in me leaving that church. That's my way of "following God's guidance". I used to refer to myself as "Catholic", and now I just don't see the point in a label, or going through the motions of certain things I think are unnecessary.

I don't experience it now as a slamming the door on that part of my past, or rejecting it as part of new and completely different approach -- just simply having that religion as a foundation, and then continuing on down the road of life -- and when I look back, occasionally agreeing and occasionally disagreeing with what I remember, or what I see happening there now.

I don't expect some other religion to have "the answers" to the certain questions that really only come from within.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tarheeler

Tarheeler Argumentative Curmudgeon
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,128
    Religion:
    Jewish
    Convert here; a year or so of study with a rabbi which culminated in a hatafat dam brit (mock circumcision), appearance before a beit din (rabbinical court), and immersion in a mikvah (ritual bath).

9. Levite

Levite Higher and Higher

Ratings:
    +1,806
    Religion:
    Jewish
    Raised Jewish and still Jewish. Though I was raised Orthodox, then spent some time not practicing and considering myself agnostic, came back to Jewish practice, but ended up Conservative.

10. Amechania

Amechania Daimona of the Helpless

Ratings:
    +282
    My upbringing was steeped in a mist of misotheism, which I transmuted to a fog of agnosticism by sheer power of the will.

11. jay86k

jay86k New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Religion:
    Christadelphian
    I'm not sure about the two options. I think I could say both or neither. I was raised Christian and still am, but I have switched denominations. My beliefs are also different from either of my parents.

12. illykitty

illykitty RF's pet cat

Ratings:
    +1,229
    Religion:
    Nature
    My parents aren't religious. I was baptised out of tradition - because it's a "nice" ritual.

I wasn't really exposed to religion growing up, only a little bit through school. We had a system were you could chose what to learn every few months after getting a report card. I had secular moral class but was curious once and chose Catechism, it didn't last long at all... When it came to chose again I took morals. Then in my teens I started my own research.

So after all this, I'm theistic, although I still have to figure out my path, it's likely to be Paganism. I'm not sure that the choices reflect what's happened. Although baptised my parents are not Catholic and you don't tend to convert into Paganism. :shrug:

13. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +10,406
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    Born Hindu. No need to change. Hinduism accommodates my atheism.

14. George-ananda

George-ananda Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,391
    Religion:
    Advaita and Spiritualist and Pantheist
    I'm the only Hindu I know in real life...

15. arthra

arthra Baha'i

Ratings:
    +1,854
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Alright... well I was raised in the Baptist Church (American Baptist) and later in life became Baha'i.:)

16. StarryNightshade

StarryNightshade Aspiring Progressive Orthodox Jew
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,779
    Religion:
    Judaism
    I was raised Baptist, but I guess "converted" to Unitarian Universaliam?

17. RabbiO

RabbiO הרב יונה בן זכריה

Ratings:
    +2,796
    Religion:
    Judaism
    I was going to be a dwarf, but I outgrew it.

More seriously, born a Jew still a Jew.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jainarayan

Jainarayan ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय

Ratings:
    +8,805
    Religion:
    śrī kṛṣṇasya sevāyām - “In Lord Krishna’s service”
    I think evolution is a better description for me, rather than converted. The only time I converted was from the Roman Catholic Church to the Eastern Orthodox Church. After that it has been a journey and evolution to what I am now (whatever the heck that is :D).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Infinitum

Infinitum Possessed Bookworm

Ratings:
    +420
    Religion:
    Left-Hand Path
    Jainarayan says it well. I didn't convert, but definitely outgrew the religion I was raised in. My beliefs evolved with new experiences and have now stayed more or less stable for many years. I'm looking forward to the next step in the evolution.

20. Sees

Sees Dragonslayer

Ratings:
    +2,833
    Religion:
    Ásatrú - Path of Heroes™
    I picked converted even though a lot of the old ways/traditions are taught naturally and subconsciously while being officially raised part of a "revealed" religious tradition. Things are organic and built into your heart, mind, soul, culture, family customs, etc. Who you were the whole time.