• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Evolutionists: Is the cockroach a highly evolved creature?

Is the cockroach a highly evolved creature?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I think the Jewel Wasp is more interesting, from an evolutionary/creationist point of view.

"The secret to the Jewel Wasp’s ‘captivating’ abilities lies in a neurotransmitter called octopamine in the cockroach’s brain that contols its movements. The wasp’s venom blocks the octopamine, literally converting the cockroach into a zombie. This ‘zombie’ cockroach is completely unable to fight back as it is pulled by the wasp into its underground lair. If you’re wondering why the wasp would go through all this trouble to just eat a cockroach, here’s the really weird part – the cockroach is meant to unwillingly play the part of surrogate mother. The wasp lays an egg into the cockroach’s abdomen, and the larva later hatches and eats the live cockroach from inside out. It takes 3 or 4 days for the larva to hatch, after which it slowly feeds on the roach’s internal organs, keeping it alive the whole time. This process takes about 7-8 days, during which the meat needs to be fresh for the larva. And because a dead cockroach rots within a day, the wasp prefers the ‘stun’ method. Once the roach is eaten up completely and it dies, the larva forms a cocoon inside it. A fully-grown wasp emerges from the cockroach carcass a month later."

http://www.odditycentral.com/animal...ewel-wasp-turns-cockroaches-into-zombies.html

Ciao

- viole
And not to put too fine a point on it, think for a moment about the kind of "God" that would design a creature to do this.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
The ones who agree that it's highly evolved are making a big mistake as they make limits
for evolution and contradicting themselves.

Many organisms were fit to their environment and evolved to other kind otherwise why the fish
moved to the land and evolved to other forms of creatures.
Actually, the mistake being made is by you in thinking that "highly evolved" means "has stopped evolving".
So there is no contradiction.
Just a fundamental misunderstanding of evolution based upon ignorant assumption on your part.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Actually, the mistake being made is by you in thinking that "highly evolved" means "has stopped evolving".
So there is no contradiction.
Just a fundamental misunderstanding of evolution based upon ignorant assumption on your part.

So what "highly evolved" means.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Being a disabled police officer with 22.5 years service before being disabled
with my 13th serious injury in a small city in Ohio I can safely say with some
authority that the cockroach is alive and well and thriving. :<(

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
So what "highly evolved" means.
If I were to hazard a guess, I would say it means more evolved than most other species.

However, I find the term "highly evolved" to be used mostly by evolution deniers in their sad attempts playing "gotcha".

How in the world did you come to the conclusion that "highly evolved" means "stopped evolving"?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
You could say that cockroaches are highly evolved as there are currently about 4,600 known species of them living on Earth. Some are more specialized for living in certain environments and eating certain kinds of plant matter, but it would be very difficult to say any of the species are "more evolved" than the others. It is highly unlikely that any of the species existing today existed in, say, the Jurassic period, when cockroaches were still young.

gnostic

The Lost One
There's no such thing as an "evolutionist", or a "highly evolved" creature.
'Evolution vs. Creationism'
Is there no such thing as a Creationist, either? Perhaps you have another word you' d like to be referred to, contextually?
They are called "biologists", not evolutionists. And not Darwinists.

Since evolution can be broken down to 5 distinct mechanisms. Will you label each one, eg Natural Selectionists, Gene Flowers, Genetic Drifters, Genetic Hitchhikers, and Mutationists?

Tiberius

Question for evolutionists, and creationists can enter the discussion as well, since this DIR is about evolution & creationism.
Is the cockroach a 'highly evolved' creature? Is it 'more evolved', than say, humans? Why or why not?

The line of descent for cockroaches goes back just as long as the line for Humans.

To put it another way, humans and cockroaches have both had the same amount of time to evolve as each other.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Question for evolutionists, and creationists can enter the discussion as well, since this DIR is about evolution & creationism.
Is the cockroach a 'highly evolved' creature? Is it 'more evolved', than say, humans? Why or why not?
Yup. Predate us by millions of years and probably will end up outlasting us by even more. Damn little things just don't die, LOL.

Eugenics would equate wealth and social status as biological (e.g. A rich man is more highly evolved than a poor man, a race that successfully colonises large parts of the world is superior to the race it has conquered and colonised, etc.) such concepts have limited scientific value unless you can assert there is an objective measure to evaluate them which is why (I think) the idea is widely discredited as we can't claim that.
Yeah, it's like in disaster movies where the rich and powerful are always the first to get on the boat or whatever, but you know those people haven't probably even fed themselves without a maid or something for years. :p

I have to switch my pesticide every 6 months because those little ******** adapt!
Resistance is futile. They shall add our distinctiveness to their own. :p

I like the bug that blows up its head like a balloon... looks designed to me...
God wanted a squishy stress toy?