• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Evolutionists: Is the cockroach a highly evolved creature?

Is the cockroach a highly evolved creature?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skwim

Veteran Member
forgive my rhetoric

You're forgiven.

priest-confession2-200x150.jpg

Now go and sin no more.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I propose a definition for "highly evolved".......
A species in which the rate of change of allele frequency approaches zero over 100 generations.
Btw, I'm flexible on the number of generations.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Tardigrads are the "highest" evolved animal. It can be without water for 10 years. Can survive in space. One of the only species that have gone through several mass extinction events in Earth's history. They're the ones with the best track record.

tardigrade_eyeofscience_1024.jpg

Cute little thingy, isn't it.
It looks like a vacuum cleaner bag got sick of eating dirt and decided to live on it's own.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Question for evolutionists, and creationists can enter the discussion as well, since this DIR is about evolution & creationism.
Is the cockroach a 'highly evolved' creature? Is it 'more evolved', than say, humans? Why or why not?

I think the Jewel Wasp is more interesting, from an evolutionary/creationist point of view.

"The secret to the Jewel Wasp’s ‘captivating’ abilities lies in a neurotransmitter called octopamine in the cockroach’s brain that contols its movements. The wasp’s venom blocks the octopamine, literally converting the cockroach into a zombie. This ‘zombie’ cockroach is completely unable to fight back as it is pulled by the wasp into its underground lair. If you’re wondering why the wasp would go through all this trouble to just eat a cockroach, here’s the really weird part – the cockroach is meant to unwillingly play the part of surrogate mother. The wasp lays an egg into the cockroach’s abdomen, and the larva later hatches and eats the live cockroach from inside out. It takes 3 or 4 days for the larva to hatch, after which it slowly feeds on the roach’s internal organs, keeping it alive the whole time. This process takes about 7-8 days, during which the meat needs to be fresh for the larva. And because a dead cockroach rots within a day, the wasp prefers the ‘stun’ method. Once the roach is eaten up completely and it dies, the larva forms a cocoon inside it. A fully-grown wasp emerges from the cockroach carcass a month later."

http://www.odditycentral.com/animal...ewel-wasp-turns-cockroaches-into-zombies.html

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
The ones who agree that it's highly evolved are making a big mistake as they make limits
for evolution and contradicting themselves.

Many organisms were fit to their environment and evolved to other kind otherwise why the fish
moved to the land and evolved to other forms of creatures.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The ones who agree that it's highly evolved are making a big mistake as they make limits
for evolution and contradicting themselves.

Many organisms were fit to their environment and evolved to other kind otherwise why the fish
moved to the land and evolved to other forms of creatures.
In science & engineering, one often encounters limits.
Regarding evolution, as an organism evolves to adapt to its environment,
the rate of change of allele frequency approaches the limit of zero.
The existence of such a limit isn't a problem.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that there are less genetic changes or diversity when an organism is more adapted to an environment? I'm probably misunderstanding you. The coffee is still making it's way to my brain here.

Just to add an FYI, you might know this already, but for anyone who doesn't. Even in species that have reached a maximum in a specific environment (like the shark), the genetic diversity is actually very high. The genes that make sharks to be "sharks" stay the same, but there's a lot of other genes that still changes and apparently, in such cases (even like human) the diversity is even greater than for a species under selective pressure.

I suspect that in the case of cockroach, they're also at a maximum, and because of it, they have such a diversity of genetic material and that's why they can adapt so rapidly to toxins and such. There's a greater chance that there are cockroach families with genes that are close or perfect for their resistance already, before they even are exposed. Just some thoughts.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
In science & engineering, one often encounters limits.
The existence of such a limit isn't a problem.

No limits for evolution, dude
it's an ongoing process, do you expect humans of today will be the same if they were
able to live some millions of years a head.

The Ongoing Evolution of Humanity
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/332571

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that there are less genetic changes or diversity when an organism is more adapted to an environment?
The rate of genetic changes approaches zero.
Just to add an FYI, you might know this already, but for anyone who doesn't. Even in species that have reached a maximum in a specific environment (like the shark), the genetic diversity is actually very high. The genes that make sharks to be "sharks" stay the same, but there's a lot of other genes that still changes and apparently, in such cases (even like human) the diversity is even greater than for a species under selective pressure.
I did know that.
I gave an example of it (albeit without explicitly stating that aspect) of cichlids.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No limits for evolution, dude
Viewing evolution as a stochastic system, it's reasonable to assume that physical laws impose limits.
it's an ongoing process, do you expect humans of today will be the same if they were
able to live some millions of years a head.
I expect humans to change.
But I make no predictions how.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When? When they're reached a maximum?
I don't view it in terms of maximum of something.
It's about adapting to the point that allele frequencies are stable, ie, optimized for the organism in its environment.
Do you have a link to some research showing this?
No.
it's all my speculation & opining.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I don't view it in terms of maximum of something.
It's about adapting to the point that allele frequencies are stable, ie, optimized for the organism in its environment.
The allele frequency will only stabilize for the genes responsible for the beneficial traits, not for traits that are discardable.

It's like eye color in humans. There's at least 3 different genes responsible for eye colors, and there's more than 120 alleles in one of them. Traits where you don't have selective pressure, you get a higher allele frequency, if I recall my anthropology right. You increase the genetic pool, so to speak, in the areas where it doesn't matter.

Also, what I mean with "maximized" is the same as "optimized for the organism in its environment." It's important to remember though that not all traits are necessary or important for the survival of a species.

No.
it's all my speculation & opining.
Fair enough. I take that as a valid answer and reason as any. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The allele frequency will only stabilize for the genes responsible for the beneficial traits, not for traits that are discardable.

It's like eye color in humans. There's at least 3 different genes responsible for eye colors, and there's more than 120 alleles in one of them. Traits where you don't have selective pressure, you get a higher allele frequency, if I recall my anthropology right. You increase the genetic pool, so to speak, in the areas where it doesn't matter.

Also, what I mean with "maximized" is the same as "optimized for the organism in its environment." It's important to remember though that not all traits are necessary or important for the survival of a species.
Such complexity is why I stress that change approaches zero.
(I take into account that there is much I don't know about this field I make guesses about.)

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Such complexity is why I stress that change approaches zero.
(I take into account that there is much I don't know about this field I make guesses about.)
Sure. I agree that the phenotype changes approaches zero, but the genotype doesn't. I'm quite sure about this from my studies, but I'm not going to force you into my opinions. I respect you and your opinions waaay too much to do that. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sure. I agree that the phenotype changes approaches zero, but the genotype doesn't. I'm quite sure about this from my studies, but I'm not going to force you into my opinions. I respect you and your opinions waaay too much to do that. :)
Keep opining.....it illuminates things for me.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Question for evolutionists, and creationists can enter the discussion as well, since this DIR is about evolution & creationism.
Is the cockroach a 'highly evolved' creature? Is it 'more evolved', than say, humans? Why or why not?

The cockroach is exactly what God intended it to be when He created it. If He meant for it to change or evolve then it has, if not then it has not. I hope that helps.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The cockroach is exactly what God intended it to be when He created it. If He meant for it to change or evolve then it has, if not then it has not. I hope that helps.
Then he meant them to flock to the apartments of me worst tenants!
(The clean ones don't get infestations.)