• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Put the garden in May first and everything is up.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Last year was my worst year for the garden. I planted some things 3 times so this year I decided to change it up.

Tomatoes every year so far so good. No flowers the the plants are getting bigger.
I plant Zucchini every year, Last year I got less than 6 zucchini and had to plant twice. This year all 8 plants took and are growing. I moved them to a newly expanded section of the garden.

1st year for radishes 2 row's both are up and growing.
Planted corn for the 2nd time in 5 years all rows are up already.

So how about you, anyone planted already, any winter crops already picked.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Last year was my worst year for the garden. I planted some things 3 times so this year I decided to change it up.

Tomatoes every year so far so good. No flowers the the plants are getting bigger.
I plant Zucchini every year, Last year I got less than 6 zucchini and had to plant twice. This year all 8 plants took and are growing. I moved them to a newly expanded section of the garden.

Just lettuce and kale ... the hardy stuff ... maybe some swiss chard later this week. It's still a bit risky this year. Last year i planted lettuce where I pulled the yellow beans and ate it in early October. First time I'd ever tried that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Mine is in, but I'm taking a big chance.
We get frost clear thru May 15 in many years.
In years past, I've lost lots'o plants to this guy...
th

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Do not over-water tomatoes or you'll get nice big plants minus tomatoes. Once established, they need 0 water unless you live in a very dry area.

BTW, my favorite is Early Girl, which is indeterminate (produces tomatoes until it's too cold out) and it also can better take some colder weather. They're like Romas but produce more per plant.

metis

Just lettuce and kale ... the hardy stuff ... maybe some swiss chard later this week. It's still a bit risky this year. Last year i planted lettuce where I pulled the yellow beans and ate it in early October. First time I'd ever tried that.
Lettuce really likes cool weather or they'll tend to bolt.

Ever plant red-leaf? My favorite.

BTW, I don't pull the plants but cut them at about 2' from the soil and let them regrow.

metis

Since our place is in da U.P., we can't plant most stuff until mid-June. But since my wife is from Italy, we go through enormous amounts of lettuce and olive oil, and I can usually plant the red-leaf lettuce and romaine in latter May but in trays whereas I can take them in-doors.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Do not over-water tomatoes or you'll get nice big plants minus tomatoes. Once established, they need 0 water unless you live in a very dry area.

BTW, my favorite is Early Girl, which is indeterminate (produces tomatoes until it's too cold out) and it also can better take some colder weather. They're like Romas but produce more per plant.
Ditto on Early Girl. Super fantabulousness incarnate! Also correct on the watering. Don't drown them till later in the summer when it is really hot.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Once every two to three weeks depending on how they are doing I give them fish fertilizer because man they love that stuff.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think we are going to have early strawberries this year. Have a lot of overwintered garlic and onion, and took my first herb load yesterday. Lots of sage, spearmint, rosemary and oregano.
20180507_194648.jpg

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think we are going to have early strawberries this year. Have a lot of overwibtered garlic and onion, and took my first herb load yesterday. Lots of sage, spearmint, rosemary and oregano.
View attachment 21503
Hehe. I haven't looked at that part of the garden in awhile. I assume the strawberries are up. Also have a veritable herd of Rhubarb in another location. Rosemary, Chives, Spearmint, Thyme, parsley.. the usual.

David1967

Premium Member
I planted Tomatoes (cherry and big ones) peppers (Bell and red salsa), Yellow and Zucchini squash, lettuce, cucumbers and spinach. Everything is looking good, but no spinach yet. Thanks @metis for the advice on the lettuce.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Lettuce really likes cool weather or they'll tend to bolt.

Ever plant red-leaf? My favorite.

BTW, I don't pull the plants but cut them at about 2' from the soil and let them regrow.
I like red-leaf as well, but generally I throw in a mixed package. But I didn't know you could cut it back ... will try that this year. Thank you. Usually I replant in 2 week intervals.

Milton Platt

I bought new property and so have thus far only planted a small orchard...about 18 trees of various types. Since fruit trees take 4 to 5 years to begin producing anything at all, I started with those. A raised bed garden is next on the list, but will probably happen next spring. I will build the beds in the fall and plant in the spring after the compost material has matured.
What kind of garden regimen do you follow? Do you mulch? Completely organic? Square foot gardening? Conventional?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I planted Tomatoes (cherry and big ones) peppers (Bell and red salsa), Yellow and Zucchini squash, lettuce, cucumbers and spinach. Everything is looking good, but no spinach yet. Thanks @metis for the advice on the lettuce.

Peppers and cherries do good in my garden, too good, we only use a little and end up giving them away or they go bad. My dad grows them so I get what we need from him. Cucumbers are my favorite but last year I planted them 3 times and they all died before last year half way through the season I get a yellow beetle with black spots that kills off the cucumbers. This year I didn't grow them so that next year may be better.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I bought new property and so have thus far only planted a small orchard...about 18 trees of various types. Since fruit trees take 4 to 5 years to begin producing anything at all, I started with those. A raised bed garden is next on the list, but will probably happen next spring. I will build the beds in the fall and plant in the spring after the compost material has matured.
What kind of garden regimen do you follow? Do you mulch? Completely organic? Square foot gardening? Conventional?

Had a peach tree, have Mulberry tree, Raspberry bushes and an Apple tree. I mulch around the yard but use fresh cut grass to cover the garden for weeds, it adds nitrogen as it breaks down. I use only my own grass because I don't want chemicals. Every year I add lime and then alternate Cow Manure and Scotts garden soil about 5 bags of each for a 15 X 13 plot. I cover with leaves through the winter and then turn the leaves over into the garden in early spring.

metis

Ditto on Early Girl. Super fantabulousness incarnate! Also correct on the watering. Don't drown them till later in the summer when it is really hot.
Actually, you don't have to water them once established because, by not doing so, it encourages more flowering and more tomatoes. In the greenhouses, they will actually stop watering them early on so that they even lay limp, and when one adds water after that, flowers appear more quickly.

I remember when first married that when it rained in August my Sicilian father-in-law would get upset. OTOH, Early Girls are not prone to cracking, so they're less affected in that way. In Sicily, they just don't water them, and that's a hot semi-arid climate. BTW, the tomatoes taste different there-- sweeter and more meaty.

Another BTW: take a bunch of EG or Roma tomatoes, take the skin off, and grate them into a bowl (one can use a Cuisinard). Add plenty of chopped garlic, some chopped fresh basil, salt, olive oil, and you can add some ground roasted almonds to make the flavor deeper (optional, but good). Do not cook but let set for a while, and then spoon it over hot pasta. If you have enough garlic, it should "bite". Refrigerate left over sauce, which you can then keep for 5 days, but warm it up a bit before using it again. It's great over meat, btw!

Warning: Do not-- I warn ya-- do not eat this before going out socially.

metis

Once every two to three weeks depending on how they are doing I give them fish fertilizer because man they love that stuff.
Hmmmmm, that's fishy. :glomp2:

I used to plant them with some bone meal, although one time my dog dug up every single plant because he probably thought the world's biggest bone was buried underneath.

metis

I like red-leaf as well, but generally I throw in a mixed package. But I didn't know you could cut it back ... will try that this year. Thank you. Usually I replant in 2 week intervals.
Ya, you can usually get several cuttings at a minimum, but then the lettuce gets tough so new plants are in order. Once growing, they actually stay more tender and for longer if they continue to grow in part shade, especially during the afternoons.