• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proving that God is Imaginary by Logic

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
From my earlier experiences...

Can you see God? - yes
Can you hear God? - yes
Can you touch/feel God? - yes
Can you taste God? - yes
Okay, let's begin there:

What does God look like, if you can see him?
What does God sound like, if you can hear him?
What does God feel like, if you can touch him?
What does God taste like, if you can taste him?
IMO the conscious self exists in a virtual reality created by our brains. All of these things are a process of the brain. Normally these "physical" experiences occur from external stimuli.
We need to stop you here for a bit of a logical question: if this "virtual reality" is created by our brains, where exactly are these "external stimuli" coming from? There is nothing "external" in a reality created only by the brain.
However, the brain is capable of recreating these internal experiences without external stimuli.
I think this is incorrect. You know from dreaming, or trying to navigate familiar spaces in complete darkness, that your brain recreates really, really imprecise models of the reality you think it remembers.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
A brain scan shows that love does not exist without a material brain?

Love is an emotion that is expressed by animals.
The brainscan shows you where in the brain this occurs.

Yes, that shows that love does not exist absent a material brain. Emotions exist in brains. It's what brains do. It makes no sense to claim that emotions can exist on their own as independend entities.

If you think love is not something expressed by a material brain, then point me to this "love" you think exists absent a material brain.

Oh, it does but you won't accept the idea

Because the idea is simply a bare assertion without any evidence whatsoever. Worse even: a bare assertion that goes AGAINST all the evidence we have.

yeah, I don't accept "ideas" that aren't supported by evidence and instead only contradicted by evidence.

When you finally realize how wrong you are about everything it will be too late.

Haaa.... here come the fear tactics with empty threats of "believe, or else!!!!"

Good argument you got there. :rolleyes:

Name one thing that cannot be tested? Just one.

An undetectable dragon is following you around everywhere you go.

I got a million more of these, but you just asked for one.

If I say a box is empty and I look into the box to test it is not a claim that something exists?
It's a testable claim, because you can look in the box.

You said a negative cannot be proven. You did not say a positive cannot be proven. You're changing the logic rules you initially proposed.

No. You quote mined that part. Read the bold part of the post you are quoting. You completely ignored that part. And you're still ignoring it, even after I brought it to your attention and even put emphasis on it by bolding it.

But I understand how strawmanning is the only way you can feel like you are defending your position.
In reality, you aren't even addressing the actual point made.

I get it though. It's a lot easier to argue against a point that you made up, rather then against a point that was actually made.

Every claim of God to you was untestable?

Yes.

Not true.

Yes it is.

You're not thinking.

Speak to yourself.

Here's how you do it. It's not easy but it's possible. Don't get too excited when I tell you. All you have to do is... Are you listening? Here it comes. Go to heaven. Why didn't you think of that?

Ow boy....
I don't even know how to respond to such drivel.

Hey, want proof that Odin is real? Die in battle and go to whalhalla... :rolleyes:
I bet that doesn't resonate as a very good argument to you.

Because you couldn't.

No. Rather, because it is incredibly stupid.

And why couldn't you think of that even though it was right in front of you?

Because you would have to believe that there is a heaven to go to first.
The whole point of a test is to withhold belief until a test provides rational justification to believe.$
Your "test" is morronic and not a test at all. It's just unvoncing juvenile rhetoric.

Because you're mind was already made up

No.

You crawled into a box and now you can't see outside of the box and all you know is the box and all you want is the box but you did it to yourself.
Blatant projection.

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
So those feelings and emotion are nothing but objective in all sense of the word objective?

The existance of opinions and emotions, is objective.
The contents thereof, are not.

Why is this so hard for you to comprehend?

The book Lord of the Rings objectively exists.
That doesn't make its contents real...

Edit - and all parts of the world, you, me, the sun and what not are all objective. There are no subjective parts of the world? All parts are objective, despite emotions and feelings being subjective?

Perhaps you should look up both words in a dictionary.
I can't believe the trouble you go through to make this ridiculous argument.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Now I will start with a simple model of science.
It is based on this site written by scientist:
Understanding Science: An overview

If you read it, you will notice some key words: See, test, evidence, natural. Now I will look closer:
"In science, an observation or experiment that could provide evidence regarding the accuracy of a scientific idea. Testing involves figuring out what one would expect to observe if an idea were correct and comparing that expectation to what one actually observes."
"Test results and/or observations that may either help support or help refute a scientific idea. In general, raw data are considered evidence only once they have been interpreted in a way that reflects on the accuracy of a scientific idea."
"In everyday language, the word natural is often used to describe goods that are wholesome or not made by humans, but in the language of science, natural has a much broader meaning. Within science, the term natural refers to any element of the physical universe — whether made by humans or not. This includes matter, the forces that act on matter, energy, the constituents of the biological world, humans, human society, and the products of that society. So even though we might not think of them as "natural" (in the everyday sense of the word), science can study things like the human smile, human decision-making, artificial sweetener, and learning algorithms for robots because they are part of the physical universe around us."

So that tells us, what science is: You have to be able use observation as for whether you get one result or another, when you test. There is more, but that is a necessary part of science. For something to be science, you need to be able to observe it, whatever it is.

Now I am not nice, because I can do something. I can test using philosophy if there is a limit to science. How?
Well, science in one version assumes as back to the natural world that the physical universe is all as the natural world and you can test everything in the world.
What does that mean in practice? If you ask a question, you can get the answer by turning the question into a test, that
relies on observation. That is it. You have in effect done so with your use of "real".
Everything as all parts of the world can be made subject to observation, where you observe that X is Y OR X is not Y, X is Z.
So I am testing the limit of science, because I am asking something, which is testable, but not science. Can you do something, where you can't use observation to decide, whether X is Y OR X is Z?
That is it! If everything can be tested using science, then it can be tested if science can be used on all parts of the world. How? Because science itself is a part of the world. Science is a human behavior, the words "see", "test" and "experiment" are done by humans.
So if science is doing something, the test is if you can do everything humans can do, only by doing science as something specific that you do and not something else that you do otherwise.

So where is it, that you in effect cheat, as for the world, real and better? It is here:
"Models that make testable predictions are better then models that don't."
So to pinpoint it. As X is Y, "testable predictions are better" is a variation of X is Y and "models that don't" are X is Z.
How in precise words is that so, that you are doing something that is not science. Because you can't see "better" or "not better as worse".

In effect you are doing something, which is not around us and not in us as all humans. It is in you as something subjective in you and other people who believe like you. Now I know that because I don't believe this: "Models that make testable predictions are better then models that don't."
Here is what I believe about better. What is better, depends on the single individual or a limit group of humans, who believe in the same better. Not there is no scientifically better, because you can't use science on better, because it is not observable as neither "better" or "bad/worse/not good".

So as for better, I have it better as me, because I have learned that science, religion and philosophy are all limited human behavior and you can't do everything as a human only using one of them.
You use science as some people use religion or philosophy or other systems of claims about what the world really is. In effect you are not that special, because you are a member of limited group of humans - those, who believe, they have a universal method for better, which is in effect not subjective.
That is it. As for "real" better is not real, because you can't observe or test what is better using science for 2 different outcomes, where both are possible, but not at the same time and in the same sense.

Let me give you an example. Building a bridge. If you want to build a bridge, that works, you need to use in effect science as applied through engineering. But whether you should build the bridge or not, can't be answer with science as such.
So back to the OP and the video. God is subjective and it is delusional to claim that God is objective. As per the video, you can't see, hear, touch, smell or touch God. You can't use science to give evidence for God. It is the same for better. To claim that you can make better objective by using science, is delusional. In effect you either believe in one version of better or another.
So here is your belief:
"Models that make testable predictions are better then models that don't."
That is not science, because you can't use science on better. All the examples, you gave, are limited. So let me give you an example from the real world as I have learned it. You are now a solider and your NCO commands you to do a war crime. It is not a war crime according to science. It is an ethical, social construct and you can't obverse what makes a war crime a war crime. Further you can't use science to test the outcomes, because whether you do it or not, is not science. Both outcomes are possible. You can do as your NCO tells you or you can refuse. As for what is better, can't be answered using science, because what is better depends on what you believe.

So back to "real". Image you and I are looking at a stone. You know, a part of a rock. We can see it, we could throw it against a wall and observe what happens. There is a lot of things we could do with that rock in general that involves science.
So let us do the same with:
"Reality is real." What does that look like, can you throw that against a wall and so on? It is not a material claim like those involving e.g. a rock Let us look closer in combination with this: "...indistinguishable from entities produced by sheer imagination, with no bearing on reality".
As an entity "reality is real" is an form of imagination. It is only real, if you believe in it. But it has a bearing on reality just like God. Just like God, God and reality is real is only real if you believe in it. If you do, that can inform your further behavior and give rise to how you treat other humans.
What you believe in, is in part subjective as what you believe reality is and how you ought to behave and what you can do. That is not different that other humans. Where you fail, is where everybody else fails. In effect, you have tried to do all of reality objective. You can't, I can't, nobody can.

That is testable, because you can simply obverse that you believe that "reality is real" and I don't. You can observe that we both do reality differently in some cases, not all, and you can't use science to show that I can't do it differently, where it can be done differently.
That is the limit of science. It only work for outcomes where it is for all humans in principle EITHER X is Y OR X is not Y, but Z.
But that doesn't apply for all version of better or real. How? Because it is subjective , that it is better and real for me to believe in God. I don't claim that it has to be so for you. But I do claim that you can't use science on that for better. How? Because you can observe that I can do it differently, no matter how much you claim "reality", "real", "better" and what not.

See, I tested it. Because I tested if there are parts of reality, which are subjective and can't be turned in to science. There are.
Just as religion is limited and subjective, science is in effect subjective and limited in the following sense. Science is a human limited subjective behavior - see, test, experiment, better - and you can't do all human life only doing science. Just as you can't do all human life doing religion or philosophy or what not.

Hi TagliatelliMonster.
Don't play with a skeptic. I have learned to test the limits of all of these different claims of what reality really is. And that includes science. Religion and philosophy doesn't work on all of reality. But nor does science.
If you want to test something, you should be prepared for the fact, that you don't get the result you want. So if you test if science has a limit, then you should accept the result, if science has a limit. And it has. As limited as human subjective beliefs are, you can't do without them. And that includes you. You are not that special and nor am I.
So you can believe all you like that "reality is real". I don't believe in that.

Same old gibber gabber as always.

You'll argue just about anything, and shamelessly strawman people in the process.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
So how do you objectively detect if another humans is wrong?

By testing that human's claims.

What do you objectively observe in the other human, which is evidence for the fact only using science, that the other human is wrong?

That would entirely depend on the claim that that person is making.

You don't. Because you are not doing science, when you claim that another humans is wrong. I don't mean morally wrong. I mean wrong as you use it. Wrong to you is a subjective rule, which evaluates human behavior based on a rule in you.

No. That's just a strawman that you are insisting on repeating for some reason.

When you tell me that your car is larger then a truck and we then put your car next to a truck and measure both, only to find out that the truck is much larger, then your claim is objectively wrong.

It is a fact and observable, that humans can believe in God
So?

Does the fact that people can believe in godS (plural), mean that does gods exist?
Obviously not.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Correct, Science has limits: A few things that science does not do
Science doesn't draw conclusions about supernatural explanations.

Because it can't draw conclusion about unfalsifiable claims.
It can't draw conclusion about interdimensional unicorns for the same reason.

Come up with a falsifiable concept of the supernatural and then science will be able to tackle it.
It has nothing to do with it being "supernatural". It has everything to do with it not being testable and falsifiable.

In fact there is a lot of things humans do, that can't be done using science. So we agree.

Nobody here is claiming that science can do things that it in fact can't. So please put this silly webspace wasting non-argument to rest.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The existance of opinions and emotions, is objective.
The contents thereof, are not.

Why is this so hard for you to comprehend?

The book Lord of the Rings objectively exists.
That doesn't make its contents real...

If reality and existence are objective and real, then where do the subjective and not real exists?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Same old gibber gabber as always.

You'll argue just about anything, and shamelessly strawman people in the process.

From above as from a post: Reality/the world is real. Another one, the world is objective.
To both I answer: No!
How do you explain that No! and its content? Do both exist, are they real and objective? If for at least one of the answer is no, then how can with think about something, which does exists, is not real and not a part of the world?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
As content in people's thoughts.

You should find a new angle or topic to argue about, because this one is exceptionally ridiculous - even for your standards.

And the world/reality is real and objective and therefore as the content of people's thought are in the world, the content is real and objective and not unreal and subjective.

Edit:
How does something real and objective cause something else to be unreal and subjective?

Super Universe

Defender of God
Love is an emotion that is expressed by animals.
The brainscan shows you where in the brain this occurs.

Yes, that shows that love does not exist absent a material brain. Emotions exist in brains. It's what brains do. It makes no sense to claim that emotions can exist on their own as independend entities.

If you think love is not something expressed by a material brain, then point me to this "love" you think exists absent a material brain.

Because the idea is simply a bare assertion without any evidence whatsoever. Worse even: a bare assertion that goes AGAINST all the evidence we have.

yeah, I don't accept "ideas" that aren't supported by evidence and instead only contradicted by evidence.

Haaa.... here come the fear tactics with empty threats of "believe, or else!!!!"

Good argument you got there. :rolleyes:

An undetectable dragon is following you around everywhere you go.

I got a million more of these, but you just asked for one.

It's a testable claim, because you can look in the box.

No. You quote mined that part. Read the bold part of the post you are quoting. You completely ignored that part. And you're still ignoring it, even after I brought it to your attention and even put emphasis on it by bolding it.

But I understand how strawmanning is the only way you can feel like you are defending your position.
In reality, you aren't even addressing the actual point made.

I get it though. It's a lot easier to argue against a point that you made up, rather then against a point that was actually made.

Yes.

Yes it is.

Speak to yourself.

Ow boy....
I don't even know how to respond to such drivel.

Hey, want proof that Odin is real? Die in battle and go to whalhalla... :rolleyes:
I bet that doesn't resonate as a very good argument to you.

No. Rather, because it is incredibly stupid.

Because you would have to believe that there is a heaven to go to first.
The whole point of a test is to withhold belief until a test provides rational justification to believe.$
Your "test" is morronic and not a test at all. It's just unvoncing juvenile rhetoric.

No.

Blatant projection.

Love is an emotion expressed by animals? Do you have any evidence that there aren't non-material beings in the universe? How much of the universe have you explored?

The brainscan of love shows you where in the brain this occurs? I looked up the definition of love. It didn't show the brain scan. Why not?

The brainscan proves that love does not exist absent a material brain? So the brainscan is proof that no other life forms exist?

I should point you to the love that I think exists absent a material brain? Why describe something to someone who is incapable of understanding it?

We don't have evidence of angels or ghosts? There's tens of thousands of personal reports.

Here come the fear tactics? You can't be afraid of something you don't believe exists. It's not fear I'm promoting, it's justice.

An undetectable dragon cannot be detected? But then you cannot prove it does not exist. Logic.

The empty box is a testable claim because you can look into it and see if it is empty? It is testable but the logic proposed was that a negative could not be proven. I showed that it could so you changed the word negative to testable.

Baby get anrgy. Baby cry cry cry. Angry baby baby get mad at theists because they not angry like little baby. Boo hoo baby cry.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
How do you know? Are you God to read my mind mate?

He doesn't have to read your mind. He only has to point out that your mind is a part of what makes you one of the people.

If it is in your mind, it is personal and subjective. Now if you then say "I know God and God is not just in me mind, but some where else", then the rest of us can test that.
Now if you say "I know God and God is in my mind and no where else", then I, Mikkel, accept that it is so for you, but will point out it could be different for other humans; i.e. there is no God for the rest of us, because God is in your mind.

firedragon

Veteran Member
He doesn't have to read your mind. He only has to point out that your mind is a part of what makes you one of the people.

If it is in your mind, it is personal and subjective. Now if you then say "I know God and God is not just in me mind, but some where else", then the rest of us can test that.
Now if you say "I know God and God is in my mind and no where else", then I, Mikkel, accept that it is so for you, but will point out it could be different for other humans; i.e. there is no God for the rest of us, because God is in your mind.

Nope. Wrong.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Try using more words and try to make a reasoned argument.

You didn't understand mate. So you are absolutely wrong. You don't know why I believe or not believe anything. So to make an assumption you have to read my mind. Making general comments of your perception to an individual is the genetic fallacy. Ask for that persons view and why, then make a comment. So that's why I said he is.

So you were wrong.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You didn't understand mate. So you are absolutely wrong. You don't know why I believe or not believe anything. So to make an assumption you have to read my mind. Making general comments of your perception to an individual is the genetic fallacy. Ask for that persons view and why, then make a comment. So that's why I said he is.

So you were wrong.

"Ask for the persons view´..." Well, I don't have to ask for a persons view to know that if it is a persons view, then it is exactly that:
A single individual persons view. Now if the view is subjective and not objective, then it can't be made objective. That is logic. So if a persons view is subjective, then I can subjectively have another view. If it is objective, we can share it, if we can agree on what objective is. Objective is in practice in part a shared subjective view.

So is, what you know about God, if you know about God, subjective or objective?
That is where we end.