• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proving that God is Imaginary by Logic

Rational Agnostic

I think this is a good video. Of course it is not a rigorous logical proof, but it is a good, commonsense video overall. I have no doubt that many religious people will not like it, but probably not be able to offer a sound refutation. Thoughts?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
thought experiments?

if you enter a room and find a table
someone has been there
hard telling when

find a coin on the table......later on
someone has been there recently

find a coin spinning on edge
look over your shoulder

now go outside to a night time sky
and notice all that rotation

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Of course it is not a rigorous logical proof
Proving that God is Imaginary by Logic

Step 1, as logical step, would be to define "GOD" first. A definition all agree on.

Has that problem already been solved?

To define something, that is per definition "beyond definition" seems problematic

So, best to let go logic, when talking about God

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Trying to use logic to prove something that's beyond, and the creator of, logic.

Cute.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
From my earlier experiences...

Can you see God? - yes
Can you hear God? - yes
Can you touch/feel God? - yes
Can you taste God? - yes

IMO the conscious self exists in a virtual reality created by our brains. All of these things are a process of the brain. Normally these "physical" experiences occur from external stimuli. However, the brain is capable of recreating these internal experiences without external stimuli.

We know this/do this to some degree via our imagination. Normally though we are aware of consciously causing this process of imagination. However, I believe these experiences can also occur without conscious control/awareness. The subconscious can autonomously take over control of these experiences to where it is difficult if not impossible to consciously know whether the experience is externally or internally caused.

Conscious faith/belief allows the subconscious mind a lot more free reign to create these internal kinds of experience.

Super Universe

Defender of God
I think this is a good video. Of course it is not a rigorous logical proof, but it is a good, commonsense video overall. I have no doubt that many religious people will not like it, but probably not be able to offer a sound refutation. Thoughts?

You can't see love, you can't hear it, you can't touch it, taste it, or smell it, therefore it doesn't exist for atheists. So, therefore, all atheists are psychopaths.

Logic.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

The problem ultimately is science can test the truth of everything, but itself. Ergo, it has an obvious failing in regard to being considered the source of the _absolute_ truth. It's perhaps content to say that science provides a relative truth (within the limits of our understanding), but there is always a gap (and probably always will be). However, if the truths it provides are relative then we simply are chasing a thread like a cat here. We must realize whatever we think we know it's all subject to change. If it were providing absolute truth then, of course, that wouldn't be possible.

That notwithstanding, materialistic observations are largely useless for proving the existence and non-existence of things. For example, you cannot detect thoughts and you presume gravity is there but we actually see nothing but secondary manifestations. No one here would deny either would exist and herein lies some of the dilemmas. It's a minor step from that to being able to scientifically explain religion, but it sees the manifestation and has no means to measure the cause.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
You can't see love, you can't hear it, you can't touch it, taste it, or smell it, therefore it doesn't exist for atheists. So, therefore, all atheists are psychopaths.

Logic.
Screen-Shot-2015-03-19-at-10.25.32-AM1.png

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I get eleven or so posts into a thread; then not to remember what the OP was !
what's that called ?...what's the OP ?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
It's all imaginary in `God's` eyes, and feels, and tastes,
OH...was that you ?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That was so awful and repetitive I couldn't make it to the end, sorry.

God/Brahman/Consciousness is not material in my view. It seems this author is on-board with me on that point.

Do you experience God? Is God something you experience?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Do you experience God? Is God something you experience?
In Advaita non-dual philosophy God and creation are not-two.

I believe all consciousness is God/Brahman/Consciousness so yes I experience my individual consciousness but have not yet experienced Cosmic/Universal Consciousness.

Super Universe

Defender of God
You could have made your reply "to prove the other wrong" simpler
LOVE
Would you still say "Now I can see LOVE, so I know LOVE?"

A poor woman was in an arranged marriage. She did not find the man attractive but there was no other option for her. The woman lived in a hut without electricity and she slept on a floor mat and she had child after child after child.

One day the woman went over to a neighbors house, the neighbor had electricity and a television, and she watched a television show about two young adults who were in love and defied their parents and ran off together to elope. Only then did the woman really understand what love was because it was something she never experienced. Her idea of love was primitive, to her, people being together for a long time was love.

If you have never felt it then you can't really describe it. A textbook definition of love is not love.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Wrong on a number of levels.

1) Not having evidence for something is not a demonstration that it isn't true/doesn't exist.
2) The God of classical theism/Abrahamic faiths is considered the ground of being itself. Thus he is not conceived as some discrete, individual physical object like a chair. He is the fundamental reality that enables the chair to exist in the first place.

It is wise to at least attempt to understand that which you criticize. The guy in this video appears to have only been exposed to the most simplistic versions of fundamentalist theism.