• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro-life and control of women- where do we draw the line?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Since when was anybody in this thread ever listening to anything anybody else said?

I am listening, I just happen to disagree every now and then. I feel that I have appropriately responded to many pro life concerns and have not misrepresented anyone's claims. I am genuinely curious about everyone's beliefs. If I have not come across in such a manner it is because I have had these discussions many times in RL while advocating for both pro choice organizations and planned parenthood at different events. So, I can understand if I have made assumptions about people's arguments, but that is not my intention.

Pagan_Patriot

I think she meant that someone would have to read my post, not listen to it. I guess it was supposed to be a joke, but it wasn't that funny....

Alceste

Vagabond

Jeez.

The doctor didn't pressure her. Her parents did. She went voluntarily and only changed her mind in the middle of the procedure, past the point the fetus could have survived. The doctor had no choice but to finish. I understand that it must have been very traumatic for her, but one confused kid who signs up for an abortion when she really wants a child, then freaks out in the middle of the procedure, is not representative of how these things go. In general, we say yay or nay at some point before the operation.

Alceste

Vagabond
I am listening, I just happen to disagree every now and then. I feel that I have appropriately responded to many pro life concerns and have not misrepresented anyone's claims. I am genuinely curious about everyone's beliefs. If I have not come across in such a manner it is because I have had these discussions many times in RL while advocating for both pro choice organizations and planned parenthood at different events. So, I can understand if I have made assumptions about people's arguments, but that is not my intention.

I shouldn't generalize. You're awesome.

Pagan_Patriot

Well see that's what I'm saying. I'm not against abortions, but people should be more safe with it, and let doctors know that no means no.

Pagan_Patriot

Jeez.

The doctor didn't pressure her. Her parents did. She went voluntarily and only changed her mind in the middle of the procedure, past the point the fetus could have survived. The doctor had no choice but to finish. I understand that it must have been very traumatic for her, but one confused kid who signs up for an abortion when she really wants a child, then freaks out in the middle of the procedure, is not representative of how these things go. In general, we say yay or nay at some point before the operation.

Well how do we know that it was just this one? There have literally been tens of millions of abortions in this country. Not all perfext. That's why I said that we don't know what happens behind closed doors. Many could have been forced, many pressured, and so on. According to this girl, she was forced. Now the motive of the doctor, who knows. There was that story a couple montha ago about that abortion doctor who was on trial. I'll look for it in the morning.

"abortion should be safe, legal, and rare" - Bill Clinton

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Well see that's what I'm saying. I'm not against abortions, but people should be more safe with it, and let doctors know that no means no.
The article says what happened is in dispute. First she said that the coerced her into beginning the procedure, even to the point of having her mouth covered. After some questioning in court, it appears that this might not be the case. The woman then claims that it wasn't too late to stop because she hadn't felt the cramp associated with ruptured membranes when she asked to stop the procedure. She admitted that the real cramping occurred after the procedure was done.

I think she probably missed the membrane rupturing cramp. It's not really even a cramp--no muscle action involved--just a slight reduction of pressure from fluid loss, which would be minimal if she was 6 weeks pregnant. The real cramping would occur after the procedure is finished when the uterus muscularly contracts back towards its normal size.
(When the doctor ruptured my membranes when I was in childbirth, there wasn't any cramp associated with it--just a little less pressure.)

Pagan_Patriot

Well we would have to be there to know. She's having some second thoughts about what she decided to go in for. I can find many more examples for you if you want.

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm all for having this case investigated to see if the woman was forced into beginning the procedure.

Nobody claims that having an abortion is an easy decision to make or to live with afterwards.

A witness says she was not. She changed her mind in the middle of the procedure, past the point of no return.

Horrorble

So I met a woman today who boasted that she beats her kids, "if you give birth to them you can beat them till they bleed" "I gave birth to them I'll kill them"

Some people should never be parents and that is why I am pro choice.

Horrorble

I have never heard of a woman complaining of being pressured into an abortion by her doctor. It's a totally ridiculous idea. Boyfriend or parents, maybe. Doctor, no. Why on earth would a doctor do that?

I've heard someone say a doctor actually made her feel guilty for wanting an abortion by given her an ultra sound and making her listen to the heart beat and being like "this is the heart beat"