• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President's Power Play

Shad

Veteran Member
Very slightly. Blackmail however works like that. No one can fault Pelosi for being aware of the mechanics.

Trump is exercising his power as POTUS. Congress can override his veto but Pelosi does not have the support to do so nor has she even tried. Who is blackmailing who here? The person with the legal power to veto or the person that can't bother even trying to override the veto?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
@Shad , I take it that you saw the video of Trump promising to be proud of this shutdown?

What is your take on it?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Do not discount activist judges and DA. Trump is like a light for a moth when it comes to liberal judges.

Sure I could be wrong but I suspect when Liberals are in power, they'll have better things to do than waste more time on Trump.

Shad

Veteran Member
@Shad , I take it that you saw the video of Trump promising to be proud of this shutdown?

Yes. I think he is far more proud about standing his ground over his policy and the funding required than the shutdown itself. The shutdown is a consequence of standing his ground and a necessary one in his view.

What is your take on it?

It is a natural result of the system in which the minority party only has power in one branch of government and uses it to curb the policy of POTUS. The GOP did the same but via the Senate. It is also a natural result of creating large funding bills for an ever expanding executive branch instead of smaller specific bills for specific departments. Something Congress or POTUS could have changed years ago but didn't bother (both sides). It is a stalemate as no one wants to compromise that has real power in the matter. Both sides are playing on emotions as they lack arguments that will convince the other side to fold. The political divide within America has, again, come home to roost with the many of the same players repeating party taking points. The two party system is bring America to it's knees slowly.

Shad

Veteran Member
Sure I could be wrong but I suspect when Liberals are in power, they'll have better things to do than waste more time on Trump.

Keep in mind in court someone that is not necessarily a politician can file a claim against policy. Trump's travel EO (so-called Travel Ban or Muslim Travel ban) was challenged by a citizen, a state and a university in one case. So two of the plaintiffs were not in any sort of real government power. The citizen had a non-political claim while the university is more likely to be politically motivated but made a non-political claim. (Only the citizen's claim had merit in the SCOTUS ruling)

tytlyf

Not Religious
Yes. I think he is far more proud about standing his ground over his policy and the funding required than the shutdown itself. The shutdown is a consequence of standing his ground and a necessary one in his view.
Correct. The Trump is responsible for the gov't shutdown. Americans agree on that.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
They didn't go did they?
But Melania did using a military plane for her vacation. Where's the Republican outrage on that? They certainly blew up over Obama's heading to Hawaii with family and his golf outings.

Oh wait, Trump and family have used far more governmental money and Trump has had far more golf outings than Obama, and if my memory is correct you harped on that during the latter's tenure in office. Cat got your tongue? :p

esmith

Veteran Member
But Melania did using a military plane for her vacation. Where's the Republican outrage on that? They certainly blew up over Obama's heading to Hawaii with family and his golf outings.

Oh wait, Trump and family have used far more governmental money and Trump has had far more golf outings than Obama, and if my memory is correct you harped on that during the latter's tenure in office. Cat got your tongue? :p

cat-got-your-tongue-isolated-450w-54080932.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I'd expect the President & family to use government airplanes for security reasons.
Those in Congress shouldn't use military planes except in special circumstances
where security is a real concern. Pelosi does have a long history of abusing this
privilege.