• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President's Power Play

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Ya know......many here have said that Democrats should stand up to the bully,
& not give in, thereby keeping the shutdown in place.

Nope. The shutdown is Trump's to owe.

As you know full well, the Democrats are plenty willing to allow Trump to give up on his foolishness and stop the shutdown.

I am fairly certain that the ultimate decision is not even in the hands of the Democrats.

One could almost think that you are being biased, uh?

They say that to give in
would inspire the bully to want more, & to be more demanding. Questionable.

Very slightly. Blackmail however works like that. No one can fault Pelosi for being aware of the mechanics.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Just pointless huffing and puffing. Nobody cares.
I care.
Pelosi has long been famous for commuting between DC & San
Francisco as the sole passenger on big spendy military planes.
Her being forced to take commercial flights....sitting with the
unwashed unruly unimportant hoi polloi is delicious schadenfreude.
Perhaps she'll sit next to a screaming baby, while some snot
nosted kid kicks the back of her seat.
giphy.gif

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

As you know full well, the Democrats are plenty willing to allow Trump to give up on his foolishness and stop the shutdown.

I am fairly certain that the ultimate decision is not even in the hands of the Democrats.

Very slightly. Blackmail however works like that. No one can fault Pelosi for being aware of the mechanics.

Here's what anonymous Trump insider wrote:

"President-elect Donald Trump and the Republican-controlled Congress are drawing up plans to take on the government bureaucracy they have long railed against, by eroding job protections and grinding down benefits that federal workers have received for a generation.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...fits-and-job-security/?utm_term=.880de2692cbb

But it looks like they ran into problems trying to fire government workers.

Has President Trump suckered Democrats and the Deep State into a trap that will enable a radical downsizing of the federal bureaucracy? In only five more days of the already "longest government shutdown in history" (25 days and counting, as of today), a heretofore obscure threshold will be reached, enabling permanent layoffs of bureaucrats furloughed 30 days or more.
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/01/trumps_shutdown_trap.html

On an average day, roughly 15 percent of the employees around me are exceptional patriots serving their country. I wish I could give competitive salaries to them and no one else. But 80 percent feel no pressure to produce results. If they don't feel like doing what they are told, they don't.

Why would they? We can't fire them. They avoid attention, plan their weekend, schedule vacation, their second job, their next position – some do this in the same position for more than a decade.

They do nothing that warrants punishment and nothing of external value. That is their workday: errands for the sake of errands – administering, refining, following and collaborating on process. "Process is your friend" is what delusional civil servants tell themselves. Even senior officials must gain approval from every rank across their department, other agencies and work units for basic administrative chores.

Most of my career colleagues actively work against the president's agenda. This means I typically spend about 15 percent of my time on the president's agenda and 85 percent of my time trying to stop sabotage, and we have no power to get rid of them. Until the shutdown.

--From some anonymous Trump insider."

I'm in favor of downsizing government Bureaucracies. If keeping this government shutdown going for more than 30 days is the only way to get this done, then yeah...let's do it!

Once enough unpaid government workers resign in order to have government downsized to an efficient level; then, that'd be the ideal time to the end the shutdown.....:)

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I see that Pelosi is skilled at negotiating with people on her side.
(It got her into her current position.)
But with hostile opposing powers, she's screwing the pooch by
ramping up the hostilities. Fomenting anger will likely motivate
a guy like Trump to dig in his heels. Alas, the country is the
pooch in this case. Of course, Trump is no better than she is.

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
Lefties must have 'forgot' about mentioning that little bit. Ahem....

You know typical behavior of making mountains out of things like this when they done the same thing themselves.
Ya, for sure, I am just glad they control the House, you know the chamber with the power to impeach.

It is more than clear there are a number of you that will support Trump no matter what, and I accept that Trump will always have his blind followers, but right now I am more concerned with the DOJ and Congress, as it is their views that actually matter here.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Ya, for sure, I am just glad they control the House, you know the chamber with the power to impeach.

It is more than clear there are a number of you that will support Trump no matter what, and I accept that Trump will always have his blind followers, but right now I am more concerned with the DOJ and Congress, as it is their views that actually matter here.
Well what are they waiting for? Impeach him then.

That's the problem with left-wingers. They all act like they are on top of things and know what's going on right at this very moment but for some reason can't seem to be able to get anything done.

Just a bunch of Paper Tigers.

At least the Republicans were able to impeach Clinton in good time because apparently the right actually has the ability to find and get the facts , and do something about it a lot quicker.

Make a post about this when something is actually is being done rather than growling at shadows.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But to impeach could backfire on them if the Senate (controlled
by Pubs) fails to convict.
Republicans discovered this risk when they impeached Clinton.
This blindness afflicts his foes too, who rage & lash
out without due consideration for their actions.

youknowme

Well what are they waiting for? Impeach him then.

That's the problem with left-wingers. They all act like they are on top of things and know what's going on right at this very moment but for some reason can't seem to be able to get anything done.

Just a bunch of Paper Tigers.

At least the Republicans were able to impeach Clinton in good time because apparently the right actually has the ability to find and get the facts , and do something about it a lot quicker.

Make a post about this when something is actually is being done rather than growling at shadows.
They are waiting for the DOJ. Ya you know for all the evidence to come together. I know as a Trump supporter you prefer to sweep evidence under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist, but as I said I am more interested what the DOJ has to say about it than some blind Trump follower.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
They are waiting for the DOJ. Ya you know for all the evidence to come together. I know as a Trump supporter you prefer to sweep evidence under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist, but as I said I am more interested what the DOJ has to say about it than some blind Trump follower.
Looks like you're going to be in the waiting room for quite a while.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That is not entirely true. It very much looks like there is a strong case to be made that Trump violated campaign finance laws. A felony offense, with a five-year statute of limitations. Trump may need to win in 2020 to ride out the statute of limitations. Trump may need to remain president to hide from his crimes.

I doubt Trump will ever see the inside of a jail cell because,

A: I don't think the Democrats will care anymore if they have power in Washington anyway.

B: I suspect with that much money, one can usually pay enough other people to keep themselves out of jail.

Though I suppose it'll be a lot easier for him to just win another term.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Because whether he has designs on 2020 or not,
he's all about his own image, & rather self obsessed.
(Few people notice that. But I'm very observant.)

Yes, I can understand why he'd want to win reelection but I suspect not building some kind of wall will be a political disaster for him anyway.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, I can understand why he'd want to win reelection but I suspect not building some kind of wall will be a political disaster for him anyway.
I think the wall isn't so significant compared to other actual
(eg, economic health) & potential issues (eg, war). But it
can be hard to predict what the media will sell to the public.

youknowme

I doubt Trump will ever see the inside of a jail cell because,

A: I don't think the Democrats will care anymore if they have power in Washington anyway.

B: I suspect with that much money, one can usually pay enough other people to keep themselves out of jail.

Though I suppose it'll be a lot easier for him to just win another term.

Democrats don't have to care, the various lawsuits are not simply going to vanish if Dem gain more power in Congress (if anything the pressure will go up). Many are not being pushed by Democrats, they are being pushed by various different groups, many of which are independent of Congress.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why would Trump care?
In 2020 Trump wins or loses. If he loses he just goes on about his business of being a billionaire. He claims to have a vested interest in the country but at the end of the day, the downfall of the Republican party isn't really going to affect him.
His own downfall may very well end with him or members of his family in prison. I think this would affect him.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Democrats don't have to care, the various lawsuits are not simply going to vanish if Dem gain more power in Congress (if anything the pressure will go up). Many are not being pushed by Democrats, they are being pushed by various different groups, many of which are independent of Congress.

Obama violated campaign finance laws but never went to jail for it. I doubt Trump will.