• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis - what do you think?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
IMO, better than most because he think he's less less dogmatic, more practical, and taking a more people-centered approach, especially being very concerned about the poor and the young. Like, PJXXIII, he's a breath of fresh air at a time when the world badly needs it.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
What do you think about the pope? Is he better than previous popes, about the same or is he worse?
I think he is far better. He seems to be trying to clean up the filthy vatican, trying to cut back on the immense greed. He is open minded, willing to consider change, and he doesn't allow tradition to negatively limit him.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
He is working with the support of Pope Ratzinger. They are attempting to reverse the evil of the dueling popes from the time that there were multiple claimants. Historically there are ups and downs, popes that have trashed the treasuries, started fights and let things run down and popes that have rebuilt and restored. In the future Roman Catholics may look back at this as a time when the primacy of the pope was reaffirmed or they may look at it as a time when the primacy was moved down from one person towards the cardinals. They will look at it as a positive time and a time of rebuilding. It remains to be seen whether the popes will ever be allowed to become evil and powerful again.

Clear

Premium Member
I like Francis - I like his background (i.e. he does not seem to come from a rich upbringing) and I like that he seems to be concerned regarding a multitude of social ills. I am not Catholic, so I cannot say what he is like from a Catholic Perspective, but I like the man so far.

pearl

They will look at it as a positive time and a time of rebuilding.

If one is a moderate or centrist Catholic, otherwise it may be referred to as the time of the 'heretical' pope. A lot depends on which bishops the pope elevates to cardinals, who alone vote for the next pope. Both John Paul II and Benedict chose conservative bishops, sort of stacking the deck, not unlike the attempt to stack the Supreme Court.

metis

A lot depends on which bishops the pope elevates to cardinals, who alone vote for the next pope. Both John Paul II and Benedict chose conservative bishops, sort of stacking the deck, not unlike the attempt to stack the Supreme Court.
And PF is also appointing more bishops from non-European countries as well than his predecessors, and this also may have a long-term effect.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
And PF is also appointing more bishops from non-European countries as well than his predecessors, and this also may have a long-term effect.
Especially since African bishops in particular (IIRC) are generally a lot more theologically conservative than their European and American (North and South) counterparts.

metis

Especially since African bishops in particular (IIRC) are generally a lot more theologically conservative than their European and American (North and South) counterparts.
Generally speaking, good point. Where my hesitation comes in, however, is PF's more liberal and open positions on many issues, especially when it comes to the application of Canon Law, that might possibly be reflected in his appointees.

metis

Seems theologically ambiguous. His explanations are problematic
One of PF's drift is to more decentralize the church's authority so less of it is in the Vatican and more to the local bishops and parishes. Also, it appears that some traditional areas he's not comfortable with, such as it past history of gay-bashing and the condemnation of divorcees. He also is putting more emphasis on real world conditions, such as poverty, income disparity, and climate change. After all, Jesus' Sermon On the Mount is actually quite "worldly" in parts as it dealt with conditions in eretz Israel going back around 2000 years ago.

So, where do you feel he's being "problematic"?

whirlingmerc

One of PF's drift is to more decentralize the church's authority so less of it is in the Vatican and more to the local bishops and parishes. Also, it appears that some traditional areas he's not comfortable with, such as it past history of gay-bashing and the condemnation of divorcees. He also is putting more emphasis on real world conditions, such as poverty, income disparity, and climate change. After all, Jesus' Sermon On the Mount is actually quite "worldly" in parts as it dealt with conditions in eretz Israel going back around 2000 years ago.

So, where do you feel he's being "problematic"?

Weak view on creation. Doesn't preach the gospel with clarity. Weak view on salvation through Christ alone, to name a few.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Seems theologically ambiguous. His explanations are problematic

Exactly...I think he definitely crosses the line...or maybe, since his Italian is not that good he unwillingly makes mistakes.
But during a sermon, he said "Jesus was not a clean man"....God knows what he meant by that..

Pope Ratzinger is still alive...the presence of a Papa emeritus is weird, so I think they chose Bergoglio as totally different counterpart of the Theologian-Pope.

metis

Weak view on creation.
I don't think accepting known science is a "weak view"-- quite the opposite.

Doesn't preach the gospel with clarity.
And where did you get that from? Do you regularly attend mass?

By Canon Law, the homily (sermon) must include what's found in the gospel.

Weak view on salvation through Christ alone, to name a few.
Instead, Catholics take Jesus' command to not judge others.

But let me also add that I've been going with my wife to Catholic churches for over 50 years, and over all that time I never heard a priest bad-mouth Protestants nor judge them. Nor have I ever heard lay-Catholics bad-mouth or judge Protestants. Nor have I ever heard them bad-mouth or judge those in other religions. Nor have I ever read here at RF any Catholics bad-mouthing Protestants.

And yet we see numerous Protestants here bad-mouthing and judging the Catholic church, often fabricating stories that simply are not true. Why do you think that is, whirlingmerc? Why do you think they judge others even though Jesus said not to?

metis

Exactly...I think he definitely crosses the line...or maybe, since his Italian is not that good he unwillingly makes mistakes.
But during a sermon, he said "Jesus was not a clean man"....God knows what he meant by that..
And have to I agree with you that it's most likely something lost in translation because he undoubtedly over the years made many thousands of statements on Jesus, so if he had said anything like that before he certainly would never have been chosen bishop or pope.

whirlingmerc

I don't think accepting known science is a "weak view"-- quite the opposite.

And where did you get that from? Do you regularly attend mass?

By Canon Law, the homily (sermon) must include what's found in the gospel.

Instead, Catholics take Jesus' command to not judge others.

But let me also add that I've been going with my wife to Catholic churches for over 50 years, and over all that time I never heard a priest bad-mouth Protestants nor judge them. Nor have I ever heard lay-Catholics bad-mouth or judge Protestants. Nor have I ever heard them bad-mouth or judge those in other religions. Nor have I ever read here at RF any Catholics bad-mouthing Protestants.

And yet we see numerous Protestants here bad-mouthing and judging the Catholic church, often fabricating stories that simply are not true. Why do you think that is, whirlingmerc? Why do you think they judge others even though Jesus said not to?

Discernment and judgement are not the same. Jesus said not to judge others and yet goes on to say don't throw your pigs before swine... apparently someone still has to can a pig a pig. Discernment and judgement are different issues.

Francis does not preach the way of salvation, with clarity. In fact we is so ambiguous at times both liberals and conservatives look at what he says and see what they want at times

I see there is a movie POPE FRANCIS: A MAN OF HIS WORD coming to theaters Friday... a movie written and directed by an apostate Catholic on his 5th marriage and a leftist,

I do have a concern that Francis refers to the creation narrative as mythic and speaks openly of evolution, and says, quote, "The biblical story of creation is a mythical form of expression." saying so on 60 minutes and CBS news. That does not appear a view shared by Jesus or apostle or consistent with His (God's) word.

Last edited:

metis

Francis does not preach the way of salvation, with clarity. In fact we is so ambiguous at times both liberals and conservatives look at what he says and see what they want at times
You're conflating things. Whereas Pope Benedict was very doctrinaire, Pope Frances is much less so but is very concerned about the Church getting closer to it's roots, thus doing some decentralizing and also working much more closely and effectively with the poor and disenfranchised per the Sermon On the Mount and the Parable of the Sheep & Goats (Matthew 25). The historic and central teachings of the Church are pretty much the same as over recent decades, so the difference is more a matter of emphasis.

Therefore, I would think that a person who believes in the gospel would be all for that.