• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis - what do you think?

exchemist

Veteran Member
And, btw, the Jewish sage Maimonides said much the same when he wrote several centuries ago that much that is found in the first 12 chapters of Genesis appears to be allegorical.
I did not know that but am not surprised. But he was quite a bit later. 1100 ish?

Actually, any half way decent thinker must come to the conclusion sooner or later, I suspect.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Maybe play that again as he was rather clearly joking, which is why they were laughing, because he said the opposite just before that.

Metis...If I have to be honest with you, I don't understand why you blindly defend this phony Pope.
A Pope who defended Cardinal Bertone...who covered up the financial scandals of Vatileaks, a Pope who justified the Charlie Hebdo massacre, a Pope with evident problems of memory since his Italian is really bad...a Pope who visits countries that hate the European civilization.

As a Roman person,I can assure you that many Romans hate him...especially after he said that Europe is supposed to tolerate massive immigration.

outlawState

Deism is dead
Pope Francis is the first communist pope. He is also an avowedly political pope, in the sense that he approves of mass immigration and the abolition of borders, except when it comes to the Catholic church. He does not seem to relate to the things of God like the previous pope. Personally, I detest the guy.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Pope Francis is the first communist pope. He is also an avowedly political pope, in the sense that he approves of mass immigration and the abolition of borders, except when it comes to the Catholic church. He does not seem to relate to the things of God like the previous pope. Personally, I detest the guy.
I'm sure that will come as a great surprise to readers.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

1 John 2:9 Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister is still in the darkness.

outlawState

Deism is dead
1 John 2:9 Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister is still in the darkness.
I do not regard Pope Francis as my brother, if only because he refuses my entry to the eucharist. Not that I would want to participate in an idolatrous mass, but by any biblical standard of objectivity, refusal of entry to the eucharist is a categorical statement of not being someone's brother.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I do not regard Pope Francis as my brother, if only because he refuses my entry to the eucharist. Not that I would want to participate in an idolatrous mass, but by any biblical standard of objectivity, refusal of entry to the eucharist is a categorical statement of not being someone's brother.

You don't have to justify yourself. Many Catholics here, including priests, consider the Vatican "the real harlot of Revelation" for its great corruption, so being Catholic doesn't mean necessarily to give the Papacy credibility and legitimization.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
You don't have to justify yourself. Many Catholics here, including priests, consider the Vatican "the real harlot of Revelation" for its great corruption, so being Catholic doesn't mean necessarily to give the Papacy credibility and legitimization.
Well, I've been very active in my wife's churches for over 50 years and have never run across that even once, and I've been involved in a lot of stuff and at different levels.

Yes, there obviously has been corruption in the church and probably most Catholics, including clergy, will acknowledge that. Even though this will not justify it, but which organization doesn't have some corruption in it at some time? Even the apostles were guilty of that, according to the gospels.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Well, I've been very active in my wife's churches for over 50 years and have never run across that even once, and I've been involved in a lot of stuff and at different levels.

Because Catholic dioceses are holy...but the Vatican isn't.

exchemist

Veteran Member
So he doesn't invite you because he knows you'd hate it, but you nevertheless resent not being invited so that you could refuse the invitation. Seems reasonable.

Last edited:

outlawState

Deism is dead
So he doesn't invite you because he knows you'd hate it, but you nevertheless resent not being invited so that you could refuse the invitation. Seems reasonable.
Back in the reforming era, the Popes had some bad experiences with a few protesting Catholics knocking the elevated host off its pedestal as it was beng pulled along in a cart (host descration). They generally got put to death. It's a dangerous thing being near an elevated host. Intentional host desecration is not only a mortal sin but also incurs the penalty of excommunication latae sententiae.

Check out a 15th-century German woodcut of the host desecration by the Jews of Passau, 1477. The hosts are stolen and sold to the Jewish community, who pierce them in a ritual. When guards come to question the Jews, they (the Jews) attempt to burn the Hosts, but are unsuccessful, as the Hosts transform into an infant carried by angels. The Jews, now proven guilty, are arrested, beheaded, and tortured with hot pincers, the entire community is driven out with their feet bound and held to the fire, and the Christian who sold the hosts to the Jews is punished.

Persecution is still going on. Man sentences to 8 years in jail for descrating the host.
A priest slaps a young man across the face and drags him from the Church and loudly pronounces him a ‘blasphemer' for descecrating host.

So we see that the mass is really about doing homage to a piece of bread.

In any case the rules of the Free Prestbyterian Church of Scotland prohibit attendance at mass, and I don't want to fall out with them (not that I live in Scotland).

exchemist

Veteran Member
Back in the reforming era, the Popes had some bad experiences with a few protesting Catholics knocking the elevated host off its pedestal as it was beng pulled along in a cart (host descration). They generally got put to death. It's a dangerous thing being near an elevated host. Intentional host desecration is not only a mortal sin but also incurs the penalty of excommunication latae sententiae.

Check out a 15th-century German woodcut of the host desecration by the Jews of Passau, 1477. The hosts are stolen and sold to the Jewish community, who pierce them in a ritual. When guards come to question the Jews, they (the Jews) attempt to burn the Hosts, but are unsuccessful, as the Hosts transform into an infant carried by angels. The Jews, now proven guilty, are arrested, beheaded, and tortured with hot pincers, the entire community is driven out with their feet bound and held to the fire, and the Christian who sold the hosts to the Jews is punished.

Persecution is still going on. Man sentences to 8 years in jail for descrating the host.
A priest slaps a young man across the face and drags him from the Church and loudly pronounces him a ‘blasphemer' for descecrating host.

So we see that the mass is really about doing homage to a piece of bread.

In any case the rules of the Free Prestbyterian Church of Scotland prohibit attendance at mass, and I don't want to fall out with them (not that I live in Scotland).
Naoiuw Paouparaeigh!

outlawState

Deism is dead
Free Presbyterian Church statement in light of the Pope's Visit to the Republic of Ireland

“At a meeting of its General Presbytery in March 2018 the Free Presbytery Church of Ulster unanimously approved the following statement should the Pope’s itinerary in Ireland incorporate a visit to Northern Ireland:

‘As reformed evangelical Protestants we totally reject the arrogant and, more importantly, unscriptural titles, claims and teachings of the pope. While, in obedience to Scripture and out of love for the souls of men, we cannot welcome this proposed visit, it will present us with a challenge to highlight the contrast between the teaching of scripture and the false doctrines of the papacy. Our supreme aim and overriding concern is to exalt the only King and Head of the church, the Lord Jesus Christ. To this end we continue to call all people, of all denominations and none, to a personal faith in Christ the Saviour as the only mediator between God and men’.”

Rev. Ian Brown
Clerk, Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster

NB: it has now been disclosed the Pope will NOT be visiting Northern Ireland.

This is an answer to prayer.

See below for reasons why a papal visit is to be opposed by all right thinking Protestants:
#1 The Pope's Blasphemous Claims
#2 The Act of Settlement
#3 The Memory of the Martyrs
#4 The Cost to Taxpayers

exchemist

Veteran Member
Free Presbyterian Church statement in light of the Pope's Visit to the Republic of Ireland

“At a meeting of its General Presbytery in March 2018 the Free Presbytery Church of Ulster unanimously approved the following statement should the Pope’s itinerary in Ireland incorporate a visit to Northern Ireland:

‘As reformed evangelical Protestants we totally reject the arrogant and, more importantly, unscriptural titles, claims and teachings of the pope. While, in obedience to Scripture and out of love for the souls of men, we cannot welcome this proposed visit, it will present us with a challenge to highlight the contrast between the teaching of scripture and the false doctrines of the papacy. Our supreme aim and overriding concern is to exalt the only King and Head of the church, the Lord Jesus Christ. To this end we continue to call all people, of all denominations and none, to a personal faith in Christ the Saviour as the only mediator between God and men’.”

Rev. Ian Brown
Clerk, Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster

NB: it has now been disclosed the Pope will NOT be visiting Northern Ireland.

This is an answer to prayer.

See below for reasons why a papal visit is to be opposed by all right thinking Protestants:
#1 The Pope's Blasphemous Claims
#2 The Act of Settlement
#3 The Memory of the Martyrs
#4 The Cost to Taxpayers
Naoiuw Paouparaeigh! Bowler hats, orange sashes and drummers all round!

outlawState

Deism is dead
Naoiuw Paouparaeigh! Bowler hats, orange sashes and drummers all round!
No that's the Orange order. In 1951, the Order banned members of Paisley's Free Presbyterian Church from acting as Orange chaplains and in the 1970s, it openly endorsed the UUP against the Paisley's DUP. Things are more fluid now but the Orange Order, the UUP, the DUP and the Free Presbyterian church are all completely separate organizations.

exchemist

Veteran Member
No that's the Orange order. In 1951, the Order banned members of Paisley's Free Presbyterian Church from acting as Orange chaplains and in the 1970s, it openly endorsed the UUP against the Paisley's DUP. Things are more fluid now but the Orange Order, the UUP, the DUP and the Free Presbyterian church are all completely separate organizations.
Yes, I know the Daiyoupaeigh is not the same organisation as the Orange Order or these various hot-Prot sects. But they all share the same sentiment of virulent anti-Catholicism, for inextricably entwined historical, political and religious reasons.

outlawState

Deism is dead
Yes, I know the Daiyoupaeigh is not the same organisation as the Orange Order or these various hot-Prot sects. But they all share the same sentiment of virulent anti-Catholicism, for inextricably entwined historical, political and religious reasons.
Ulster massacres
"The number of planters killed in the early months of the [Irish Rebellion of 1641 (Irish: Éirí Amach 1641)] is the subject of debate. Early English Parliamentarian pamphlets claimed that over 200,000 Protestants had lost their lives. In fact, recent research has suggested that the number is far more modest, in the region of 4,000 or so killed, though many thousands were expelled from their homes. It is estimated that up to 12,000 Protestants may have lost their lives in total, the majority dying of cold or disease after being expelled from their homes in the depths of winter." Wiki.

Obviously it wasn't a friendly act. The rebellion was later supported and prolonged by money from the Pope.