• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Concepts of the Afterlife Do You Believe In?

• Total voters

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
After doing two polls on theological beliefs, a believers/skeptics poll and a religious/spiritual poll, I am going to attempt to gauge RF's stance on the afterlife. Instead of making multiple ideas specific to one choice, I am going to divide the afterlife into many parts and allow the community to decide which parts they happen to believe in. In this poll you will be allowed to choose as many options as you want.

I plan on answering this poll with four of the choices. (1) Nonexistence for a period of time, (2) a pleasant spiritual existence for everybody, (3) technological physical resurrection in a new body, and (4) you will get to choose your own afterlife. But not in that order.

My idea of the afterlife is complicated, but essentially what my beliefs are is that everybody goes through a period of nonexistence, but like sleeping they won't be aware of it. Eventually everybody gets physically resurrected by post-humans that will also give previously deceased people their own soul avatars in the distant future and therefore everybody gets a pleasant spiritual existence as well.

Soul avatars will exist to allow people to transfer feelings, thoughts or identities from one place or object to another. With the development of this technology, it will be possible to explore any place in or outside the Universe by transferring identities. And if you think that is crazy, there already is Google Maps street view that allows people to imagine themselves existing in other places and times with interactive, rotating pictures. My idea of a spiritual afterlife is street view just done more elaborately.

It is through the recreation of people, physical resurrection and the concept of soul avatars that will allow ultimate liberation and thus with time allow people to choose which afterlife they want after that.

Well, those are my ideas. What do you think happens to humans after they die? You will have ten options to choose from, eight typical afterlife responses, one which is not concerned for it, and the last option is other, so if you have a different idea you can let us know what it is.

Answer the poll and let us know why you chose what you answered below. And remember, I put this in Interfaith Discussion for a reason. No debating or arguing! :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Reincarnation and Exist As Something Else Without Directly Choosing It

My answer is "reincarnation but I don't know if I choose a new birth or it's automatic".

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Good things for good people and bad things for bad people IMO

I think the system is just and fair

danieldemol

Premium Member
Mine was close to universalism but with just enough of a twist to vote other.

I believe in a pleasant spiritual existence for all who desire it. The rest simply cease at death.

In my opinion.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Mine was close to universalism but with just enough of a twist to vote other.

I believe in a pleasant spiritual existence for all who desire it. The rest simply cease at death.

In my opinion.

This poll is multiple choice. Instead of choosing other you can choose both universalism and permanent nonexistence options.

syo

Easy for me. If I don't unite for eternity with my husband at whatever and where-ever, I am going to Gehenna.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I voted
'A Pleasant Spiritual Existence for Believers or Good People' as my best fit answer.

I think we will experience the heavenly and astral planes and eventually our soul will also reincarnate.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Closest vote is "reincarnation" but it would be more accurate to say I believe life and existence is a continuum and therefore there is no "before life" or "after life." There's just.... life. Stuff passes in and out of the limited awareness humans have of the space and time. Translocate across space and time, then everything becomes eternal.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Answer the poll and let us know why you chose what you answered below. And remember, I put this in Interfaith Discussion for a reason. No debating or arguing! :)
First of all is the idea of life through Christ, but this is not an individual resurrection in my mind.

Individually we have to deal with the new understanding of time which A. Einstein uncovers and reveals to us. He discovers that time is a continuum, which means that people we think of as dead actually are alive albeit in our past. So then death is not the cessation of existence but merely the time when we stop perceiving.

There are many scenarios (such as reincarnation scenarios), but what I am saying is that general relativity changes the question(s), because it changes our understanding of what death is. Here is an example of how this changes the question(s) about death: Suppose after dying you become a disembodied spirit. If you are resurrected as a spirit, then are you as a spirit subject to time or separate from it? It seems like your spirit must be separate from it, because you are physically still alive in the past (in time). So then your spirit must be separate from the you that is living in the past. Then it seems you must be two people: one who lives as a human and one not -- if we have ghosts.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Atoms are amazing things. Falling apart and rearranging infinite times.

The afterlife is what your living right now with the current arrangement called "I".

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I voted and chose the following options.

(1) Reincarnation and Exist As Something Else Without Directly Choosing It.

I believe that reincarnation is possible because, as a medium, I have interacted and communicated with many earthbound human spirits over the years. Therefore, I don't think it's unreasonable for me to believe that there are earthbound human spirits who can be reborn and live another human life. Of course, I cannot say for certain that reincarnation is possible because I have no memories of a previous life, but I have read several stories of young children telling their loved ones about their previous lives (read the articles).

Tales Told by Children Remembering Their Past Lives

Reincarnation Stories: Children Who Remember Their Past Lives

5 Mysterious Cases of Children Who Claimed to Remember Their Past Lives

(2) We Will Be Able to Choose Our Own Afterlives With Time.

Based on my personal experiences as a medium and as a paranormal investigator, a human spirit's experience in the afterlife can be either positive or negative. I believe the experience depends on the spirit and how they react to their death. I also believe that human spirits can get stuck in the physical world and that these spirits will need the help and guidance of a psychic medium to crossover into the spirit world. It's my belief that there are spirits who refuse to crossover because they have unfinished business, or sometimes a human spirit doesn't realize that they are dead. In the paranormal field, it is commonly believed that when a person dies abruptly (like in a car accident or from a sudden heart attack), they are unaware that they have died. These spirits are called "earthbound spirits."

(3) Other Ideas of Afterlives Other Than the Ones I Have Listed.

As a spiritualist and a medium, I believe that the afterlife, or the spirit world, is an everlasting existence that is not limited by space or time or confined to heaven or hell. In fact, I don't believe that human spirits are trapped for an eternity in either heaven or hell. To be honest, I don't believe what the Bible teaches about heaven or hell or what the Bible claims will happen to people after they pass into the spirit realm. On the contrary, I believe that spirits (human and non-human alike) can freely move between the spirit world and the physical world by traveling through a spiritual vortex (read here) or through a spirit portal (such as mirrors, windows, and doorways).

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
My answer is "reincarnation but I don't know if I choose a new birth or it's automatic".

Me too, but only a human, not an animal.37% of Catholics believe in reincarnation, so I am not alone. I don't believe Jesus was savior, but the body of God and spirit-filled teacher, so no heaven/hell to think about, although maybe reincarnation as a non-human could be a sort of purgatory. Still cementing these beliefs, but I couldn't give up reincarnation, as to me, it makes more sense than heaven/hell, especially when there are so many people who die and have died as babies and children. Just does not seem fair.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Me too, but only a human, not an animal.37% of Catholics believe in reincarnation, so I am not alone. I don't believe Jesus was savior, but the body of God and spirit-filled teacher, so no heaven/hell to think about, although maybe reincarnation as a non-human could be a sort of purgatory. Still cementing these beliefs, but I couldn't give up reincarnation, as to me, it makes more sense than heaven/hell, especially when there are so many people who die and have died as babies and children. Just does not seem fair.

That's interesting to know. Based on my experiences and knowledge of the spirit world, there are human spirits (who have either crossed over into the spirit world or who are earthbound) and non-human spirits or entities, such as animal spirits, elemental spirits (nature sprites), tree spirits (wood nymphs), Djinn, black-eyed children, angelic beings, and demonic entities. I am cautious about including shadow beings (shadow people) in the list, because it still isn't decided in the paranormal field and Parapsychology what these mysterious humanoid beings actually are. Please take note that it isn't my intent to argue and debate with you about what you said in your post. I simply wanted to share my viewpoint with you. I respect the original poster's request for no debate or arguing.