• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Incentives to not be a criminal?

So, should we punish financially according to wealth?

• Yes

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • It depends upon the circumstances

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Since fines are often imposed on individuals for the less criminal offences, but still breaking the law, should the rich be made to pay pro rata as to their wealth rather than just the same flat rate as the rest of us plebs? Given that such fines are rather meaningless to those wealthy enough not to miss tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds (dollars) let alone a few hundred. But not necessarily for the following example:

Rishi Sunak fined for not wearing seatbelt in back of car

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The concept seems appropriate.
I just don't trust government to apply it wisely.
Policing is often done with the goal of revenue.
This would inspire open season on anywone
who looks prosperous.
Never ignore the power of corruption.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never been an advocate of imposing fines for crimes. I think punishment for crimes should be service. Fines potentially take food out of children's mouths, because some cannot afford to pay fines. However, everyone capable of committing a crime is capable of doing a service.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Since fines are often imposed on individuals for the less criminal offences, but still breaking the law, should the rich be made to pay pro rata as to their wealth rather than just the same flat rate as the rest of us plebs? Given that such fines are rather meaningless to those wealthy enough not to miss tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds (dollars) let alone a few hundred. But not necessarily for the following example:

I've always thought it would be more fair that way, since cops routinely target lower income people and neighborhoods. I also think that if one is driving a company vehicle, the fine should be based on the value of the company. So, if a UPS truck goes even 1 mph over the speed limit, the fine could be in the millions.

I think it's an excellent idea.

PureX

Veteran Member
who looks prosperous.
I agree with this. I am already dubious about the practice imposing fines as punishment for minor criminal behavior. I would prefer compensation for the harm or damage done. Or barring that, maybe limiting the rights/privilege that was being abused/defied by the criminal behavior.

Heyo

Veteran Member
who looks prosperous.
Wouldn't that be nice for a change?
Seriously though, there is a reason cops go after the poor, they are less likely to sue. Wouldn't change much if fines depended on income.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
who looks prosperous.
That is the biggest barrier to otherwise good ideas.

A colleague that deals with building inspectors told me the first meeting with the one local to our facilities, opened their meeting with the line "I am god". That sort of little power trip gives me pause to consider that the system wouldn't be abused.

PureX

Veteran Member
That is the biggest barrier to otherwise good ideas.

A colleague that deals with building inspectors told me the first meeting with the one local to our facilities, opened their meeting with the line "I am god". That sort of little power trip gives me pause to consider that the system wouldn't be abused.
It's the ones that think it, but don't say it that are the real threat! :)

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
who looks prosperous.

In theory, I can see this happening, but in practice? If I'm rich, I can pay for dash cams, radar detectors, lawyers, or any other tools I can take advantage of to protect myself. Not only that, but the rich tend to have power and connections at their disposal

I'm ok with that - but then again, I have no skin in that game

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wouldn't that be nice for a change?
Seriously though, there is a reason cops go after the poor, they are less likely to sue. Wouldn't change much if fines depended on income.
I prefer the idea of serving time, eg, picking up
roadside trash, reading limericks to prison inmates.
It's economically fair.
But government does love those fines.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In theory, I can see this happening, but in practice? If I'm rich, I can pay for dash cams, radar detectors, lawyers, or any other tools I can take advantage of to protect myself. Not only that, but the rich tend to have power and connections at their disposal

I'm ok with that - but then again, I have no skin in that game
I don't use a radar detector.
How do I get away with avoiding speeding tickets?
I don't speed.
Connections are over-rated in traffic court.
Although the most advantaged people are
cops, who can flout the law with impunity.
They have real connections.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't use a radar detector.
How do I get away with avoiding speeding tickets?
I don't speed.
Connections are over-rated in traffic court.
Although the most advantaged people are
cops, who can flout the law with impunity.
They have real connections.

A cop can always claim he thought he saw a crime in progress.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A cop can always claim he thought he saw a crime in progress.
Bogus cop claims...
I smelled MJ.
I smelled alcohol.
You were creating a disturbance.
You are suspicious.
You are nervous.
Are you OK? I must verify it.
Your pants are expired.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I have not always, but in this time and place… I like laws, and rules, and codes. It imposes Order upon the Chaos around us.

As for the OP… no. I would not see unsuccessful people fined less than successful people for committing the same exact crimes.

We Never Know

No Slack

The same crime should carry the same punishment whether one is wealthy or poor.

Sadly if one is wealthy they can hire good lawyes and get better deals whereas the poor get shafted in many cases.

As some say- "prisons are full of poor people"

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I like Finland's methods of calculating traffic fines:

Xiao Chi Jie | Chinese Soup Dumplings | Frozen & Delivered Fresh

"The driver is then subjected to a fine that is proportional to what they earn. But how does it work in practice?

To calculate the amount of the fine, the Finnish authorities take into account several criteria, starting with the offender's net daily salary and the number of dependent children.

Depending on the offence, a scale determines the number of days of fines to be paid.

Sometimes this leads to comical results, as when in 2015 a millionaire had to pay a fine of more than €54,000 for a speeding offence of exceeding the limit by just over 20kph.

The absolute record is held by a motorcyclist, who had to pay €116,000 in 2002 for exceeding the speed limit by 25kph in a city.."

If one is poor one gets a very low fine. If one is rich one gets a very high fine. The idea is to make the pain the same.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It would be more interesting to transform this into obligatory community service.

To that guy who thought it was okay to clear cut an entire ecosystem of protected timber? Yeah, you now need to spend X number of hours replanting what you destroyed. Personally. No having anyone else do it. Have fun.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've never been an advocate of imposing fines for crimes. I think punishment for crimes should be service. Fines potentially take food out of children's mouths, because some cannot afford to pay fines. However, everyone capable of committing a crime is capable of doing a service.
Yeah. If people can't afford food they can't afford a fine. And when you can't afford a fine the problems compile.
It's sad, but the courts have been "pay to win" long before video games existed, and when you can't afford to pay to play then the courts are especially vicious and cranked up to hard mode.