• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police behavior

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
That sounds like a pretty reasonable assessment.
Lol. Thanks.Nothing is always black and white ot wrong and right like some times people like to think.

But I would hope police can get better training. I think something has gone terribly wrong with the way police view the citizenry and their position of serving. Not sure what caused it. Or if it has just gotten more attention because of social media. But I sure think military when I see them now. I don't think of them being public servants. Not all of course by any means I know there are many more good police than bad. But the bad ones are scary.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I don't think it is questioned whether the mother was wrong not to comply. I think that is given. I am more concerned with the police behavior when confronted with this situation.

Do you think the number of police present contributed to their inability to change track during this arrest?
Oh definitely. Herd mentality and apparent unwillingness to stand down against one woman and a baby. One would think they were taking down a gang banger with a gun. Ridiculous.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think the use of force and the rationale for employing it are some things that we should endeavor to define well. I am surprised that you have not given this much thought.
It's a newly introduced event, so news isn't all that reliable.
Insufficient info about what preceded it.
Recording is blocked somewhat.
And you think I should pass judgement, eh.

Curious George

Veteran Member
It's a newly introduced event, so news isn't all that reliable.
Insufficient info about what preceded it.
Recording is blocked somewhat.
And you think I should pass judgement, eh.
I think I should pass judgement because i don't think it is possible that a set of facts exist that can justify putting the baby in danger. I agree that the woman was wrong in not complying, but no additional facts can explain endangering a separate innocent citizen. I do not believe the police should escalate force unless if doing so would put innocent bystanders in greater danger than they are in without escalation of force.

These officers made a bad and careless mistake. I think such carelessness is endemic to our police forces. While I do understand that it is not quintessential, it is prevalent enough that something should be done and corrective measures should be enacted.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
(Bold mine)
And tjat is the only reason I can imagine using that level of force. Yet the charge of acting in a manner injurious to a child was dropped. I can only imagine that this means she was not acting this way prior to her resistance of arrest and that the charge against her was brought based on the resistance to arrest.

In other words, there was no reason to escalate force to this level.

You're just assuming what you have already decided. You, as you point out to everyone else, have no way of knowing what happened before the video. Although it sounds invigorating, jumping to conclusions is not a real exercise.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Being a police officer probably isn't the best job for someone with PTSD. Not sure why those people aren't banned? Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Curious George

Veteran Member
You're just assuming what you have already decided. You, as you point out to everyone else, have no way of knowing what happened before the video. Although it sounds invigorating, jumping to conclusions is not a real exercise.
Except what happened before the video does not matter. No set of facts exist that makes the police officers actions acceptable.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Except what happened before the video does not matter. No set of facts exist that makes the police officers actions acceptable.

Yes, what happened before the video is important no matter what happened afterwards. Suppose she had threatened to harm the child?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Yes, what happened before the video is important no matter what happened afterwards. Suppose she had threatened to harm the child?
I would think that such a threat would have been amongst the charges that were brought and dropped. But I agree, were that the case the level of force seen would be more understandable.

averageJOE

zombie
According to ABC news she was at a Human Resources Administration building and was waiting for 4 hours for the social services office to see why her day care vouchers were cut off.

4 hours. Holding a 1 year old. In a building overcrowded and had no where to sit. She did what we've all done at a the DMV, airport, bus station, hospitals...she sat on the floor. Willingly. And the ONLY ones who were bothered by this was security. Rather than do anything to accommodate her they call the cops. And when the cops show up, rather than try to deelscalate an already tense situation they do what cops do, they respond with force. No one cared that a mother who was caring a baby for 4 hours was tired. No one offered her a chair. No one offered her a different place on the floor to sit. No. It automatically turned to "Get out!"

The cops were in the wrong. They were not interested in deescalation or resolution, they only wanted subservience at that point. There was no crime here, it was 100% contempt of cop.

Then again, this is not surprising behavior from the NYPD. These are officers who operate under an illegal quota system.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
According to ABC news she was at a Human Resources Administration building and was waiting for 4 hours for the social services office to see why her day care vouchers were cut off.

4 hours. Holding a 1 year old. In a building overcrowded and had no where to sit. She did what we've all done at a the DMV, airport, bus station, hospitals...she sat on the floor. Willingly. And the ONLY ones who were bothered by this was security. Rather than do anything to accommodate her they call the cops. And when the cops show up, rather than try to deelscalate an already tense situation they do what cops do, they respond with force. No one cared that a mother who was caring a baby for 4 hours was tired. No one offered her a chair. No one offered her a different place on the floor to sit. No. It automatically turned to "Get out!"

The cops were in the wrong. They were not interested in deescalation or resolution, they only wanted subservience at that point. There was no crime here, it was 100% contempt of cop.

Then again, this is not surprising behavior from the NYPD. These are officers who operate under an illegal quota system.

Seriously? She sat four hours and she was tired? How about those police officers (and social workers) who may have WORKED 8-10 hours? Perhaps they were tired, also. Maybe the situation could have been avoided by having the mother comply with the rules.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Seriously? She sat four hours and she was tired? How about those police officers (and social workers) who may have WORKED 8-10 hours? Perhaps they were tired, also. Maybe the situation could have been avoided by having the mother comply with the rules.
Wow, you will never admit that the cops did anything wrong. You even wanted her to be gunned down in that one loony post. Talk about bootlicking.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Wow, you will never admit that the cops did anything wrong. You even wanted her to be gunned down in that one loony post. Talk about bootlicking.

And you are extremely quick to accuse law enforcement with every evil known to man with no substantiation. For the record, I never said the police officers were in the right, I only pointed out that none of us had the whole story. You like your ending? Fine. But you may be as wrong (or right) as anyone else. I'll stop defending law enforcement when you stop defending law breakers.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
And you are extremely quick to accuse law enforcement with every evil known to man with no substantiation. For the record, I never said the police officers were in the right, I only pointed out that none of us had the whole story. You like your ending? Fine. But you may be as wrong (or right) as anyone else. I'll stop defending law enforcement when you stop defending law breakers.
You must have meant to reply to someone else because that wild-eyed rant isn't describing me. I have defended cops when the situation calls for it and condemned cops when the situation calls for it. I don't see how a group of cops manhandling one lone woman holding a baby can be justified in this instance. Talk about a failure to defuse and control the situation. What law did she break? Refusing to be manhandled and unjustly arrested? This deferential slavish attitude towards cops that right-wingers foster in this country is sick and tyrannical. Cops are supposed to serve the public, not us worship and obey. To protect and serve. And no one forces anyone to be a cop. There's no draft for cops. You seem to believe that the cops are under attack and persecuted, and are always right. I still can't get over your vile and flat out sick and evil suggestion that she should've been shot. What is wrong with you?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
upload_2018-12-13_15-11-53.jpeg

It is an old meme, but there is great wisdom in it.