• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal life expectancy discussion

Shaul

Premium Member
What do you think your personal life expectancy will be?

For myself I do think I will live to be over one hundred. Indeed I am planning accordingly. I am in excellent physical shape. I run regularly. I ran three miles this morning in twenty six minutes. I don't smoke and eat well. My ancestors generally lived quite long lives. I just turned 66. So far so good. ;)

How about you?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I plan on dying at the end of my life. Until then, I'll dye my hair.

I'm really not sure how long I'll make it. I have some healthy habits, and some not healthy habits.

The women in my family tend to live a long time(mid 90s-mid 100s). I hope I don't make it that long. My grandma talks about how all her friends are dead now. She's lost two husbands.

There's always multiple factors at play. I've known people who did everything 'right' that ended up with major health issues, and some that were fairly abusive to their bodies that lived quite awhile.

I had a coworker who was telling me about her grandfather's 103rd birthday, and when asked his secret, she looked a little confused and said "He drinks only beer. Never water." The man had never left Kenya... there must be something in that Kenyan beer.

PureX

Veteran Member
Hoping to make it to mid 80s with an intact brain. That may be pushing it a bit. Both parents made it to 83 and 85, but suffered from Alzheimer's their last few years. I'm already 66, so that's not a lot of time. Although, given the way the world is going, it may end up being too long.

RestlessSoul

I'm 62 and in pretty good health. Both my parents are still alive, but I don't want to experience for myself, the long decline I've seen in them. Three score years and ten is a generous allocation of years imo. Anything between 70 and 80 would be a bonus, but after that? I'd probably rather not tbh.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

For myself I do think I will live to be over one hundred. Indeed I am planning accordingly. I am in excellent physical shape. I run regularly. I ran three miles this morning in twenty six minutes. I don't smoke and eat well. My ancestors generally lived quite long lives. I just turned 66. So far so good. ;)

How about you?
Good luck.

This comes from here and refers to UK residents:
  • A 66-year-old man has a 1 in 10 chance of reaching 96.
  • A 66-year-old woman has a 1 in 10 chance of reaching 98.

• A 66-year-old man can expect to spend 19 years in retirement with a life expectancy of 85.
  • A 66-year-old woman has a life expectancy of 87, meaning their assets would need to last for 21 years.
And this was prepared by the state of NY. The average 66 y.o. male lives 15+ more years:

1696265083252.png

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

How about you?
Statistically with my artery disease, a heart attack, and type 2 diabetes, I'll be incredibly surprised if I ever make it to 70.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
As long as i can live at least until the children fledge the nest I'll be happy. Perhaps another 15 years or so.

That said, longer would be nice. Parts of my life have been rough, parts excellent. I don't smoke, drink or do (illegal) drugs. I used to cycle 80 to 100 miles per week until an operation after which one of the surgeons joked that still have 5 lives left. I do walk a few km each day, weather allowing. Have a medical check every 3 months and live in a valley where centenarians are 10 a penny. My parents are in their mid 70s (sorry mom), typically the family lives until their mid 80s.

So I'm hopeful for another 30 to 50 years.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
My father made it to 88 with no serious signs of dementia, if at all (kept quite fit around the house and garden), whilst my mother died at 82 and had Alzheimer's probably for half a dozen years. At 78 now I think I might be going the route of my mother so I don't expect to last more than five or ten years at the most. I would seriously consider ending my life if it became so bad - having looked after and witnessed the deterioration in my mother. Apart from having had so many broken bones and slightly raised blood pressure I haven't much else to complain about though. Two older brothers by a few years both seem to be healthy. :oops:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm 78 with no history of heart disease, but my mother and sister both died of cancer. Thus, I have no clue how long I might live.

BTW, I follow a Buddhist teaching that it's best to shortly think of our own death and those that we are close to every single day.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Good luck.

This comes from here and refers to UK residents:
  • A 66-year-old man has a 1 in 10 chance of reaching 96.
  • A 66-year-old woman has a 1 in 10 chance of reaching 98.

• A 66-year-old man can expect to spend 19 years in retirement with a life expectancy of 85.
  • A 66-year-old woman has a life expectancy of 87, meaning their assets would need to last for 21 years.
And this was prepared by the state of NY. The average 66 y.o. male lives 15+ more years:

View attachment 82941
Do you know why men die sooner than their wives?

The answer is because we want to.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm 78 with no history of heart disease, but my mother and sister both died of cancer. Thus, I have no clue how long I might live.

BTW, I follow a Buddhist teaching that it's best to shortly think of our own death and those that we are close to every single day.
I like the tradition of turning a cup and a bowl upside down each time you walk out the door for the day as a reminder you might not return home.