• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One Would Think A Public High School Would At Least Try To Hide Its Overt Christianity

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Than the mind of a Southerner? Hmmm . . . . . quite possibly, but I imagine there are the exceptions. ;)

If we get all nuanced about it, then the joke sort of deflates. But I do love the phrase, "dumber than a bag of hammers". That works too. But the reality is, it's not stupidity. It's arrogance and disregard for others.

It's like what Jesus taught them to be like, apparently..... "Remember, you're better than other religions and people of other nations. Be ye therefore like you're Father in heaven, who is White and true blue American, through and through. Build that wall, and Amen!" ~1 Republican, 1:7

Skwim

Veteran Member
If we get all nuanced about it, then the joke sort of deflates. But I do love the phrase, "dumber than a bag of hammers". That works too.
That one did cross my mind, but then I thought it was a bit overused.[/QUOTE]

QuestioningMind

Then again, if they're stupid enough to promote it why would they be bright enough to hide it.

". . . this is the locker room at Letcher County Central High School in Whitesburg, Kentucky:

LetcherLockerRoom-1024x734.jpg
The sign says “But the Lord is with me like a Mighty Warrior. Jeremiah 20:11.”

[The] Kentucky high school [was] called out for promoting Bible verse in locker room. So far, the district hasn’t responded to any of the concerns."
source
Considering how often this violation is committed down in Dixieland one is encouraged to wonder if the intellect of Southern Christians is rivaled only by garden tools.

I suspect that they want this to be challenged in court. That way they can pretend like they're being 'persecuted' for their beliefs.

shmogie

Then again, if they're stupid enough to promote it why would they be bright enough to hide it.

". . . this is the locker room at Letcher County Central High School in Whitesburg, Kentucky:

[The] Kentucky high school [was] called out for promoting Bible verse in locker room. So far, the district hasn’t responded to any of the concerns."
source
Considering how often this violation is committed down in Dixieland one is encouraged to wonder if the intellect of Southern Christians is rivaled only by garden tools.

Why don´t you sue them ? You think they are stupid. I think they are very intelligent, they have gotten away with it so far, and pissed off folk like you.

A win/win I am sure from there perspective.

Reactions: Moz

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Thanks to Trump and the republican party, and their determined efforts to increase greed, selfishness, and general stupidity in America, this sort of ignorance regarding the rights, freedoms, and well-being of fellow citizens has become greatly emboldened. All we can do now is hope that our better angels will soon awaken within us, and we'll stop voting in fear and selfishness, and start voting for the well-being of our nation as a whole, and for the principals that it was founded on: equal freedom, justice, and opportunity for all citizens. And for a government free from the influence of religion, money, and social bigotry.

:Rolls eyes: Liberals think they have a monopoly on unselfishness.

In fact, they did a study and liberals tended to announce their charitable deeds far more, yet actual giving was less.

Has it occurred to you that perhaps the better angels are the ones that understand that a country cannot be run by pompous, self-righteous, and deluded Pharisees?

1Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to His disciples: 2“The scribes and Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3So practice and observe everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. 4They tie up heavy, burdensome loads and lay them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

5 All their deeds are done for men to see. They broaden their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels. 6They love the places of honor at banquets, the chief seats in the synagogues, 7 the greetings in the marketplaces, and the title of ‘Rabbi’ by which they are addressed.

8But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9And do not call anyone on earth your father, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. 10Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Christ. 11The greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted."

You are embarrassed of Christianity to the point where you cannot imagine other people not being embarrassed of it. But a real Christian need be nothing of the sort. Because a real Christian doesn't care about imagined "equality" they care about real equality. Let me explain. I had a film last night we we were watching where a woman was convinced that she had to "prove that women are equal to men" by beating them in a worldwide boat race. Lemme ask you something. If your way of proving you are equal means you must actually win, doesn't that imply you are actually less than, that in order to be equal you have to show yourself better? As it was, she pushed herself and the boat so hard they almost sank. But more importantly, she didn't win. But she finished. That was enough.

The world hates and is embarrassed of Christianity because they live in a trap of worth and perfectionism. Doesn't matter if you're a Jew, Muslim, or atheist, none of these provide a way out. No, Christians won't be ashamed of the Gospel. Because they know what it means to be worthy. To be forgiven. The false equality and freedom of secular society just leads to the same mess as the Pharisees had.

So on behalf of all the Trump voters, I'm pretty sure I don't need to tell you what to do with your "equal freedom, justice, and opportunity for all citizens." Also, how do people have opportunity but no money? How does that work? Here's what freedom you should actually aspire to:

Last edited:

whirlingmerc

source

We have Bible motif's in the building for the Supreme Court. Even verses etc in various parts of the legislature, even Obama and Carter read the Bible as part of his role communicating with the public. So?
It doesn't promote a 'national religion'

Shad

Veteran Member
True, but the republican party knowingly and deliberately chose to stir up and exploit people's ignorance, greed, bigotry, and fear to gain political support for themselves while aiming all that subsequent sick and misguided animosity at their opponents.

Sounds like the Healthcare platform of the Dems.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Ab observation directed at most everyone who's posted on this thread:

The oligarchs are thrilled that you're all arguing about Dems vs. GOP.

PureX

Veteran Member
Ab observation directed at most everyone who's posted on this thread:

The oligarchs are thrilled that you're all arguing about Dems vs. GOP.
Sure, as they control the behavior of both parties. But when they really want to do something ugly, like start a war to increase their profit margins, it'll be the republicans they turn to, to do the heavy lying. Then they'll just bribe the democrats to vote in favor of it while no one's looking; then blame it all on the republicans later on.

Skwim

Veteran Member
We have Bible motif's in the building for the Supreme Court. Even verses etc in various parts of the legislature, even Obama and Carter read the Bible as part of his role communicating with the public. So?
So? What the school did, it's against the law!!!!!

Last edited:

whirlingmerc

So? What the school did, it's against the law!!!!!

What law might that be?

After the ratification of the constitution individual states had their own state tax funded denominations, with the last hanging on for about 80 years with Massachusets. The letter of the law forbids a national denomination.

Roger Willians iis credited for inspiring the views of the day for his seminal statement that 'The garden of the church should be protected by a high wall of separation from the howling wilderness of the world'

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The Bible's myths are not the only mythical figures on that building.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What law might that be?

After the ratification of the constitution individual states had their own state tax funded denominations, with the last hanging on for about 80 years with Massachusets. The letter of the law forbids a national denomination.

Roger Willians iis credited for inspiring the views of the day for his seminal statement that 'The garden of the church should be protected by a high wall of separation from the howling wilderness of the world'
It is in the First Amendment.

whirlingmerc

It is in the First Amendment.

The first amendment says the federal 'congress shall make no law' regarding promoting or hindering the free exercise of religion and in particular establishing a national denomination such as the church of England

A local organization, a city council, city mayor, governor, state congress or even school board or even the President are not federal congress

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The first amendment says the federal 'congress shall make no law' regarding promoting or hindering the free exercise of religion and in particular establishing a national denomination such as the church of England

A local organization, a city council, city mayor, governor, state congress or even school board or even the President are not federal congress

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
I see that you do not understand the Establishment Clause. Here is some remedial reading for you:

Establishment Clause - Wikipedia

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
It is a public school. It certainly isn't for the promotion of causes of any kind. If they want to express their Christianity in public I would never deny them that right, however a wall painted with a Bible quote is overstepping their right to free expression.

It's amazing most religious contentions are almost always about Abrahamic religions. Those religions seem to demand compliance from all other people.

On that same basis I would deny a naturalist quote from being painted on a public school wall. Public school is for all different kinds of people for the sake of learning, understanding and applying knowledge. To me there should be no favoring of causes promoted by any public schools.

And I do not think that methodological naturalism is a cause, it's a method.

Public schools must be allowed to promote knowledge. General guidelines for general values and behaviour should be taught and enforced.

I would hate to see freedom of expression squelched for the sake of someone's cause though. Public expression of a cause is a right within appropriate limits for sure.

whirlingmerc

I see that you do not understand the Establishment Clause. Here is some remedial reading for you:

Establishment Clause - Wikipedia

I cited the original language which clearly is about the Federal Congress making no law hindering the free exercise of religion among other things.. it is not a limitation on other groups.

Wiki actually does not make your case... it's really saying what I said... limitation on COngress

"The Establishment Clause is a limitation placed upon the United States Congress preventing it from passing legislation forcing an establishment of religion, broadly making it illegal for the government to promote theocracy or promote a specific religion with taxes. The second half of the Establishment Clause inherently prohibits the government from preventing the free exercise of religion. While the Establishment Clause does prohibit Congress from preferring or elevating one religion over another, it does not prohibit the government's entry into the religious domain to make accommodations for religious observances and practices in order to achieve the purposes of the Free Exercise Clause. Furthermore, it does not prevent the placement of religious symbols on government premises."

Last edited: