• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Says He Is The Reason FNC IS Successful

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

I was aware of the studies that show FOX News Channel viewers to be less well informed than viewers of other channels, such as MSNBC, and even of the studies that showed FOX News Channel viewers to be less well informed than people who habitually watch little or no news at all.

But what I wasn't aware of were the actual techniques that FOX uses to bring about such interesting results. I wonder if their techniques of manipulation might actually be teaching people how to be sloppy thinkers?

Art imitates life.....

[youtube]uxoiOJ280LI[/youtube]
Idiocracy - YouTube

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not sure I understand you're question.
I was mirthfully suggesting that you're a sexist pig for dismissing the female co-host's status.

I happen to catch the show a couple times and just noticed that she seems more of an observer than a contributor. It's just my take on it but I admit I haven't watched much of the show because of Joe being a real turn off.
She is simply a little more reserved than Joe, but not without opinion & contribution.

That's a good rule. Now if we could only get you to stay away from Breitbart....:D
It's a source for breaking news which mainstream (leftish) media are reluctant to cover.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
When I used to watch FOX news, I was tuned in for the hot women. Who does not like eye candy?

An old guy like me can get turned on by young sexy women using conservative talking points.

But them again, I love Rachel Maddow as well.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm not a (Morning Joe show) person. I tried a couple times. I really did....but he seems to talk over everybody on that show. And the lady...Is she his wife?...She really doesn't add much to the show (IMO).

For the rest of the network...well, there's not much there. AL Sharpton and Chris Matthews, IMO, seemed to slobber a lot when talking. Chris Hayes is OK. I happen to catch one of his shows one evening while watching C-Span. Maddow opens her show and talks for 15-20 minutes before even bringing on a guest. Then there's Laurence O'Donnell. He's "ok"...but not too much different than Maddow. I've caught bits and pieces of each of these shows while channel surfing...and have made a rule to simply stay away from both MSNBC and Fox...

Even though I only rarely watch it because it's at a bad time for me, you might consider Alex Wagner's show at 4 e.s.t. She does bring various guests on and I like her style. She's also good eye candy, but I would never let that influence me. :rolleyes:

metis

When I used to watch FOX news, I was tuned in for the hot women. Who does not like eye candy?

An old guy like me can get turned on by young sexy women using conservative talking points.

But them again, I love Rachel Maddow as well.

Again, Maddow hits me at a bad time, but she's very brilliant. She was on Meet the Press during the 2012 campaign, and tackled one of the Republican representatives, and you could tell that he wanted that discussion to end, and end quickly. In a nice way, she shredded him one way and then the other, with the most damaging part being his voting record versus his actual actions, such as voting against the stimulus but then showing up at a project created by the stimulus and speaking about how this project (but not giving credit to the stimulus) was going to help his state. BTW, Boehner did the exact same thing in his district down in southern Ohio.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I was mirthfully suggesting that you're a sexist pig for dismissing the female co-host's status.

She is simply a little more reserved than Joe, but not without opinion & contribution.

It's a source for breaking news which mainstream (leftish) media are reluctant to cover.
Yeah, I've been to the site more than I care to admit. I will just say that we'll agree to disagree with what they view as "breaking news"....and I'd challenge you to find a topic they broke that the left hasn't or in your opinion doesn't want to cover.....Now shouldn't we also rank Breitbart amongst those "highly" partisan sources of "news"..?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah, I've been to the site more than I care to admit. I will just say that we'll agree to disagree with what they view as "breaking news"....and I'd challenge you to find a topic they broke that the left hasn't or in your opinion doesn't want to cover.....
2009 Acorn undercover videos.

Now shouldn't we also rank Breitbart amongst those "highly" partisan sources of "news"..?
Sure.
But at least he doesn't hide bias, the way outfits like NPR do, claiming to be without it.
Btw, do you know he helped launch Huff Po?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It seems that Obama thinks that he is the reason Fox News is successful.

Well, I did find this graph showing the viewership of the cable news channels from 2002-2011 - notice the dramatic upslope in Fox News' viewership during 2007 and 2008 and it's overall elevated level since then. Of course, it could just be a coincidence that 2007 also happened to be the year of the first presidential race involving Barrack Obama, and 2008 happened to the be the first year of his presidency.

2_Cable_CNN-Bounced-Back-in-Prime-Time.png

metis

Gotta remember that Fox is really the only right-wing t.v. "news" channel, so one should expect it to draw more because the others have to split the audience that really wants news.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Again, Maddow hits me at a bad time, but she's very brilliant. She was on Meet the Press during the 2012 campaign, and tackled one of the Republican representatives, and you could tell that he wanted that discussion to end, and end quickly. In a nice way, she shredded him one way and then the other, with the most damaging part being his voting record versus his actual actions, such as voting against the stimulus but then showing up at a project created by the stimulus and speaking about how this project (but not giving credit to the stimulus) was going to help his state. BTW, Boehner did the exact same thing in his district down in southern Ohio.

So did Paul Ryan and many other Republicans bashing the stimulus but dipping their fingers all in the cookie jar...:sad:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
2009 Acorn undercover videos.

2 fired over alleged tax advice to

New ACORN Video: Undercover Videographers Release Tape Of Philly Visit

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/24/us/politics/24acorn.html?_r=0

So yes...left wing services reported it and weren't "reluctant" to.

But consider this....:rolleyes:

Breitbart confirms he was duped by O'Keefe and the ACORN pimp hoax | Research | Media Matters for America

Sherrod Hoax Exposed, but Breitbart's ACORN Fraud Lives On

Maybe those of you on the right found merit to the video.....but I'm finding it hilarious. And it tickles me that you're pushing it as breaking news.....

Considering.....
Andy Breitbart Explains It All For You (The ACORN "Pimp" Hoax) - YouTube

Looks like that even if those on the left were reluctant to present the story they would have had good reason to be reluctant.

Sure. But at least he doesn't hide bias, the way outfits like NPR do, claiming to be without it.
Who doesn't have bias...they all do. Some are just more in your face with it. Fox claimed to be ("Fair and balanced") yet we know they aren't. I personally try to read and present articles that aren't so overtly bias. Breitbart is one of those sites that is. Sometimes that outward bias makes it hard to take them serious. Many of their articles read like they were written by inexperienced bloggers inserting their personal opinions. Hey, but that's just my take on them and others like them. As far as NPR I'll have to take your word on that. I don't read or listen to NPR.....

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Who doesn't have bias...they all do.

I love the "they are all biased" argument. To pretend that all sources of news -- even just all corporate sources of news -- are in general equally biased is either intellectually dishonest or grossly naive. Never mind the gross naivety masquerades as profound worldliness.

When people pull the "they are all biased" argument, it so often reminds me of a little boy or girl trying to get away with lying to adults. He or she is usually convinced they've pulled it off. And maybe he or she can with other children. But adults see right through them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I love the "they are all biased" argument. To pretend that all sources of news -- even just all corporate sources of news -- are in general equally biased is either intellectually dishonest or grossly naive.
This straw man about claiming equality is "intellectually dishonest".

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I love the "they are all biased" argument. To pretend that all sources of news -- even just all corporate sources of news -- are in general equally biased is either intellectually dishonest or grossly naive. Never mind the gross naivety masquerades as profound worldliness.

When people pull the "they are all biased" argument, it so often reminds me of a little boy or girl trying to get away with lying to adults. He or she is usually convinced they've pulled it off. And maybe he or she can with other children. But adults see right through them.

I see what you mean......It think it was my position that they all are bias. I wasn't trying to present an equalizer but simply recognizing that it does exist. There may be some left that report without injecting their bias into their reporting. I've found many over time that don't present their reports like that. It's easy to tell the ones that wear their bias on their sleeves such as Fox and Breitbart, Daily Kos and maybe a few others out there....