• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Says He Is The Reason FNC IS Successful

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I see what you mean......It think it was my position that they all are bias. I wasn't trying to present an equalizer but simply recognizing that it does exist. There may be some left that report without injecting their bias into their reporting. I've found many over time that don't present their reports like that. It's easy to tell the ones that wear their bias on their sleeves such as Fox and Breitbart, Daily Kos and maybe a few others out there....

If they were all equally biased, the scientific studies of how well their audiences were informed on the issues would show that viewers of every channel were equally poorly informed. That's not the case, however. Viewers of FOX are consistently more poorly informed than viewers of other channels, and viewers of other channels are not equally well informed. So, yeah, I'm sure some bias exists with all the corporate media, but I seriously doubt the science is wrong and that all corporate media is equally biased.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This straw man about claiming equality is "intellectually dishonest".

No, it's not dishonest. It's my honest interpretation of people's views. It might be mistaken, but it's not dishonest.

If would be interesting if it were mistaken, but I doubt it is.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, it's not dishonest. It's my honest interpretation of people's views. It might be mistaken, but it's not dishonest.
If would be interesting if it were mistaken, but I doubt it is.
I actually agree with this.
My murky point was that those of us who point out bias on both sides are no less honest.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I actually agree with this.
My murky point was that those of us who point out bias on both sides are no less honest.

To point out bias on both sides is one thing. To say there's bias on both sides as a subtle way of undermining the greater integrity of the other side is another thing. A truly accurate, and therefore truly honest, way of pointing out bias on both sides might be to state something like this: All media channels show at least some degree of bias, although some media channels show significantly more bias than others. That strikes me as more truthful than to say "There's bias on both sides".

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
If they were all equally biased, the scientific studies of how well their audiences were informed on the issues would show that viewers of every channel were equally poorly informed. That's not the case, however. Viewers of FOX are consistently more poorly informed than viewers of other channels, and viewers of other channels are not equally well informed. So, yeah, I'm sure some bias exists with all the corporate media, but I seriously doubt the science is wrong and that all corporate media is equally biased.

I agree fully with you here. I'm certainly not contesting the science. I guess I could have clarified my position in the original post better. I didn't mean that all media outlets and/or reporters are equal rather there are times where you can see, hear read the reporter's bias. Some exhibit this way more than others. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying bias is necessarily a bad thing either but I think it can undermine the presentation of actual facts.....

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I agree fully with you here. I'm certainly not contesting the science. I guess I could have clarified my position in the original post better. I didn't mean that all media outlets and/or reporters are equal rather there are times where you can see, hear read the reporter's bias. Some exhibit this way more than others. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying bias is necessarily a bad thing either but I think it can undermine the presentation of actual facts.....

We're in substantial agreement then. Thanks for the clarification!

It's probably impossible for a news outlet to avoid some bias, even if it manages to avoid a great deal of bias. For instance, suppose there are two stories -- an embassy bombing and a new environmental issue. Do you air more about the one than the other? And, if so, which one? Do you follow up on the embassy bombing, but not the new environmental issue. And so forth.

I think it's when a news channel is devoted to a political agenda that most of us get offended. After all, we own the airways. In a way, we're paying a price for allowing ourselves to be propagandized by news channels with political agendas. The price of not giving the channel to someone less politically motivated in their coverage.

esmith

Veteran Member
I think it's when a news channel is devoted to a political agenda that most of us get offended. After all, we own the airways. In a way, we're paying a price for allowing ourselves to be propagandized by news channels with political agendas. The price of not giving the channel to someone less politically motivated in their coverage.

I believe you are thinking about over-the-air broadcasting which is governed by the FCC. The cable networks do not come under FCC jurisdiction since they are not broadcasting over frequencies controlled by the FCC. Yes, cable programing is broadcast via satellite and those frequencies are governed by the FCC; however the frequencies are licensed to the satellite company, Dish and Direct for example, not the network. Thus the FCC has no control over them. Every wonder why adult programming can be supplied by cable, and satellite companies and not over the air broadcasting? The answer is the same.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
How do you account for the following?

TV Is Americans' Main Source of News

Check this out as well as the link:

At the same time, the Nielsen data provide a reminder of the central role television still plays in news consumption in the comfort of home. Almost three-quarters of Americans, (71%) watch local TV news and almost two-thirds, (65%) watch network news over the course of a month. And more than one-third (38%) of Americans watch news on cable television. -- How Americans Get TV News at Home | Pew Research Center's Journalism Project

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
A way back in this thread a few of our members resented that they might be labeled as MSNBC viewers if they spoke bad of FOX. This is a valid complaint.

My complaint is when people tell me I get my views from FOX or the TEA party. Honestly, I have been a Conservative long before the TEA party or FOX ever existed. I have been a Conservative before there ever was cable much less cable news or the internet for that matter.

It is insulting to say things like that.

esmith

Veteran Member
Well Rev, I think I will go you one better. I am fairly positive I had conservative tendencies prior to television (at least before we had TV) and I know for a fact it was before color TV became popular.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Well Rev, I think I will go you one better. I am fairly positive I had conservative tendencies prior to television (at least before we had TV) and I know for a fact it was before color TV became popular.
Yes Smith, we thought for ourselves. I guess some folks cannot believe anyone would think differently than them.

FOX news is the boogie man. Reality is, we are the majority. The federal government does everything but what they are suppose to do. The best example is one of the primary responsibilities of the federal government is to protect our borders.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
A way back in this thread a few of our members resented that they might be labeled as MSNBC viewers if they spoke bad of FOX. This is a valid complaint.

My complaint is when people tell me I get my views from FOX or the TEA party. Honestly, I have been a Conservative long before the TEA party or FOX ever existed. I have been a Conservative before there ever was cable much less cable news or the internet for that matter.

That's understandable. My grandmother identified with the Republican Party because she saw the sins of the Dixiecrats back in the day. She was a conservative through and through, but was always surprised to have raised four children who all turned out to be decidedly liberal.

Me? I sometimes wonder if I'm so conservative and believing in such a small government, that I'd like to see it focusing on protecting our borders and keeping a strong infrastructure while staying out of our gun cabinets, my emails and phone, my marriage and bedroom, staying out of being an imperialist SOB military and using drone attacks against impoverished nations, staying out of my for-profit business, and especially staying the hell out of my uterus.

:D

Alceste

Vagabond

They're probably not talking about you Rick. Just anyone who spams the politics section with vapid regurgitations of every GOP talking point, manufactured crisis and hyped up anti-Obama pseudo-scandal Fox comes up with and then gets frustrated by our lack of interest or outrage.

You don't do that. You may be conservative, but you have original thoughts and you defend them well enough. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Me? I sometimes wonder if I'm so conservative and believing in such a small government, that I'd like to see it focusing on protecting our borders and keeping a strong infrastructure while staying out of our gun cabinets, my emails and phone, my marriage and bedroom, staying out of being an imperialist SOB military and using drone attacks against impoverished nations, staying out of my for-profit business, and especially staying the hell out of my uterus.:D
I'd call you a radical liberal!
But then not everyone uses language in the same way.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
They're probably not talking about you Rick. Just anyone who spams the politics section with vapid regurgitations of every GOP talking point, manufactured crisis and hyped up anti-Obama pseudo-scandal Fox comes up with and then gets frustrated by our lack of interest or outrage.

You don't do that. You may be conservative, but you have original thoughts and you defend them well enough. :)

Exactly.....:yes:

tytlyf

Not Religious
Yes Smith, we thought for ourselves. I guess some folks cannot believe anyone would think differently than them.

FOX news is the boogie man. Reality is, we are the majority..
Did you make up a new definition for what a 'conservative' is? Are you sure you're not mixing it up with what a republican is?

Fox news is proven to lie and misinform over and over. Which is why they are no good. It's propaganda. You're more than welcome to provide evidence of propaganda and continual lies and spin with other networks, but you never do.
Fox preys on the ignorant in America.
What is this majority you speak of anyways?

esmith

Veteran Member
Well, I may be considered ignorant by some, but at least I do not go through life with filters on that reject all material, ideas, or groups that I disagree with.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Well, I may be considered ignorant by some, but at least I do not go through life with filters on that reject all material, ideas, or groups that I disagree with.
They just have a very poor record at actually providing the entire story. IOW, propaganda. It boggles my mind you don't see what these outlets are doing. With all the evidence out there, you insist it's the best and most accurate because they have the highest ratings. That kind of logic amongst fox viewers is frightening.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
That kind of logic amongst fox viewers is frightening.
You damn well should be frightened tytlyf. Hispanics will be on our side once they get citizenship. Religious bigotry, mistreatment of women and black conservatives, false accusations of prejudice just because Obama is half black.....

This stuff will bite you all in the butt one day. Your chickens will come home to roost.