• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nine Questions Some Creationists Feel Are Real Stumpers

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
am I catching that you're making some sort of distinction between upper case Science and lower case science? If so, can you explain it to me, so that it will explain your statement "so science can't explain" that I was referring to?

If not, I'm gonna need further explanation...

Okay, if you look closer people who use science as a positive don't always use science in the same way. E.g. you will find that according to several people, science can and can't prove philosophical naturalism.
Now Science is then one of them, namely the one that is false, yet it is true to the people claiming it. But generally I don't use the capital notation, but it is from philosophy and denotes the true form, the correct and so on, the one and true one e.g. Truth/Science/Knowledge and what not.

So back to subjectivity and science. I have heard that science can explain subjectivity as a result of biology, yet now I have heard that science can't explain subjectivity. So it is just another example of people using science in contradiction ways, hence one of them is likely Science.

In short, I see if I can learn something new, when I asking questions. It happens, but I am also sort of trolling some people's belief in science.
Yeah, I know, I shouldn't troll, but to some people science is Science and no different in effect as god is God to some people.
And yes, I get the joke is also on me, because I believe in God. ;) :D

Regards
Mikkel

whirlingmerc

Anyone care to rise to the challenge?

Some of those questions are better than you give them credit for.

I have a correction tho.... we did not find any LUCY of the type put forward in museums with human like feet. That is an artistic mistake. The hands are like meat hooks for singing and feeding angled like a tight rope walked. The angle of skull entry of the spine is slumped over like a canine and not like an upright walker. It just doesn't make the Darwinian case claimed

Lucy is a terrible example for evolutionists and they should give it up.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Some of those questions are better than you give them credit for.

I have a correction tho.... we did not find any LUCY of the type put forward in museums with human like feet. That is an artistic mistake. The hands are like meat hooks for singing and feeding angled like a tight rope walked.

Lucy is a terrible example for evolutionists and they should give it up.
Interestingly enough, the only time I see LUCY being brought up is by creationists thinking they have some sort of ace in the hole by bringing LUCY up....

whirlingmerc

Interestingly enough, the only time I see LUCY being brought up is by creationists thinking they have some sort of ace in the hole by bringing LUCY up....

Lucy has been disavowed by many evolutionists as a terrible enable of evolution.... but the poster child lived on long after expiration. By the way latest evidence is Lucy is a male (Lucy Dethroned)

Not unlike 'ontology recapitulates philogeny' and the forged animal development drawings of Haeikel's embryos

Evolutionary myths persist long after expiration in general. Peppered moths is another terrible example

Ebionite

Where did the 6,000 year idea even come from?
From the conflation of Genesis 1 with Genesis 2. Genesis 1 describes a six day creation event, and the genealogies from Adam and Eve can be used to calculate the number of years from the formation of Adam to the historical timeline.

whirlingmerc

From the conflation of Genesis 1 with Genesis 2. Genesis 1 describes a six day creation event, and the genealogies from Adam and Eve can be used to calculate the number of years from the formation of Adam to the historical timeline.

Conflation?

Where did many of the eovlutionary dating schemes come from? The rock layers... the 65 million years since dinos, Even the Ort cloud? More assumptions than fact

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Conflation?

It's widely understood by Biblical scholars that Genesis 1 and 2 were not originally part of the same text.

Where did many of the eovlutionary dating schemes come from? The rock layers... the 65 million years since dinos, Even the Ort cloud? More assumptions than fact

How much formal science education do you have?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Lucy has been disavowed by many evolutionists as a terrible enable of evolution.... but the poster child lived on long after expiration. By the way latest evidence is Lucy is a male (Lucy Dethroned)

Not unlike 'ontology recapitulates philogeny' and the forged animal development drawings of Haeikel's embryos

Evolutionary myths persist long after expiration in general. Peppered moths is another terrible example
Yes, whenever you use outdated information....
But then, since creationists are unable to present anything in support of creation, they are stuck with attacking evolution.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
I've got to edit this reply, sorry ! What a way to do when coming back from a absence! :mad:

God bless, bbs (I hope!)

Last edited:

Milton Platt

Anyone care to rise to the challenge?

I think these have all been answered many times over, as have all the other "gotcha" questions that have been thrown out there by those unwilling or unable to simply look up the answer themselves. But here goes:

#1 Species branch off when a portion of the group is isolated from the rest. that is why we have multiple species rather than just one species that has evolved in a linear fashion. This is like asking if Wolves became domesticated breeds of dogs, why are there still wolves. We know all breeds of domesticated dogs came from wolves.

#2. This guy doesn't know the definition of a scientific theory for starters. Creationism is not a scientific theory. It is merely a claim which has not to date even risen to the level of a testable hypothesis, much less a scientific theory.

#3 We have not found more than one of "everything" else. Fossilization is relatively rare. The fossilized remains of creatures we have found numerous examples of existed over a span of millions of years as opposed to humans who have lived for only a fraction of that time. Also, we cannot quantify the number of humans in existence in prehistoric times.

#4 Rather than try to post voluminously, here is a link to Rational Wiki with an explanation
Evolution of new information - RationalWiki

#5 The Big Bang Theory does not address the creation of the universe....it addresses the evolution of it.We do not know what the situation was before the Big Bang, or at the instant of the Big Bang. There are competing hypothesis to the Big Bang and we do not know if one of these will supplant it later, or if a scenario not yet postulated will win out. None of the evidence so far explored indicates a magic man in the sky was involved. If all the hypotheses currently under consideration prove wrong tomorrow, that does not get you to a god. It just gets you back to "We don't know".

#6 Science is not a theory...it is a collection of processes and procedures used to evaluate the natural world. But if for some reason you wanted to call science a theory, it does not help your position. Here is the definition of a scientific theory:
A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world.
Nothing in creationism rises to the level of a scientific theory.

#7 I have lots of purposes. We give our own lives purpose..or more appropriately, we give out lives many purposes.

#8 The earth rotates on it's axis causing the sun to appear to rise on the eastern horizon and set on the western horizon. There, that wasn't that hard, now was it? Oh, do you mean the colors? Mostly air polution.......

#9 It is completely illogical to believe this when (a) we have no reason to believe there is a creator and (b) we understand the mechanisms that create tree rings.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Anyone care to rise to the challenge?.

If we came from monkeys then why are there still monkeys?

That's like saying, If the first cattle were brown, why are there still brown cattle now we have other colors? ─ albeit on a larger scale.

If evolution is a theory (like creationism) or the Bible why then is evolution taught as fact?

Creationism is based on fundamentalism, the idea that the bible is the infallible word of God, never wrong.

If we treat that as a theory, then it's a completely failed theory. As is easy to demonstrate, the bible is full of errors. One tiny example: it says (repeatedly and only) that the earth is flat.

Why have we found only "1 Lucy" when we have found more than 1 of everything else?

We haven't found 'more than one of everything else'. Some fossils like ammonites, are abundant. For some we have only the one fossil. Why shouold hominins from over 3m years ago leave easily found fossils?

I'm also not clear what the question is intended to imply.

What mechanism has science discovered that evidences an increase of genetic inf ormation seen in any genetic mutation or evolutionary process?

Alteration of DNA by mistranscription, whether by chemical, radiation or bacterial action or simple accident.

Transposons, genes able to move or copy from one chromosome to another.

Polyploidy, the duplication of a chromosome or a chromosome set.

Certain species of single-celled creatures can exist as individual cells or as parts of a cooperative aggregation of cells.

Some early multicelled creatures appear to have formed by absorption of one cell into another in circumstances where this arrangement was itself duplicated in fission.

Others may have formed when the two cells resulting from fission remained connected after.

If the Big Bang Theory is true and taught as science along with evolution, why do the laws of thermodynamics debunk said theories?

Dear oh dear, not that old chestnut! Ilya Prigogine got the Noble Prize in Chemistry back in 1977. His work incidentally debunks the claim in the question.

Because science by definition is a theory -not testable, observable, nor repeatable, why do you object to creationism or intelligent design being taught in school?

That's a silly thing to say ─ even hypotheses are testable, the tests observable and so on. So I'd guess this is equivalent to saying, How do you know how the earth and life came into being? ─ God was there and you weren't.

Which leads to dating techniques, cosmological measures of time and distance, and so on.

What purpose do you think you are here for if you do not believe in salvation?

My evolved purpose ─ to survive long enough to breed. (Or if I'd chosen not to breed, then I guess whatever made me feel purposeful, which might be the same as saying I was here to work.)

How do you explain a sunset if there is no god?

Sunsets are natural phenomena.

The enjoyment of sunsets is a cultural thing. Sunsets occur incidentally in paintings from the start of Western art, say maybe 13th cent on, but they don't become iconic till the 18th century and the Romantics.

Is it completely illogical that the earth was created mature? i.e. trees with rings...... Adam created as an adult_______

This is Last Thursdayism, which really goes back to the proposal in Philip Gosse's book Omphalos (1857) to reconcile fundamentalism with science by suggesting that God had created the world roughly when Ussher said, 4004 BCE, but done it complete with the astronomical and geological history we see now that points to origins at a far more distant time.

It has the advantage of being undisprovable, with the accompanying disadvantage of irrelevance. (In science, it can't be a theory if it can't be falsified.) It has the further disadvantage of making God look like the sneakiest of deceivers.

Last edited:

pingpongpal

I dunno...Why did God make the universe look like it's 13.7 billion years old and the Earth 4.5 billion years old, when it's really only 6,000 years old?

(Seems to me like he wants us to believe it's really, really mind-bogglingly old...maybe because it really is)

When you say that the earth is 4.5 billion years old you are making an assumption that the radioactive decay of U238 to U234 is constant for billions of years. That is an assumption which cannot be proved because you need 4.5 years to prove it is true. At the same time, rocks that are dated to be 1.5 billion years old by rubidium-strontium dating have the amount of helium in them that shows they are only 6,000 years old. So how can the earth be 4.5 billion years old and comets exist whose life expectancy is 100,000 years at most or the 1/2 life decay rate of the earth magnetic field is 1,400 years. 100,000 years ago the magnetic field of the earth would be so strong that life could not exist.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
When you say that the earth is 4.5 billion years old you are making an assumption that the radioactive decay of U238 to U234 is constant for billions of years. That is an assumption which cannot be proved because you need 4.5 years to prove it is true. At the same time, rocks that are dated to be 1.5 billion years old by rubidium-strontium dating have the amount of helium in them that shows they are only 6,000 years old. So how can the earth be 4.5 billion years old and comets exist whose life expectancy is 100,000 years at most or the 1/2 life decay rate of the earth magnetic field is 1,400 years. 100,000 years ago the magnetic field of the earth would be so strong that life could not exist.
Please provide the citations for these assertions.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Now this is one sad post.

Normally I'd ask for sources for such science nonsense, but it's all too obvious where these came from and certainly not worth pursuing.

IAC, Welcome to RF. We can always use new blood. :thumbsup:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Is this the casting call for more Dumb and Dumber movies?

dumb and dumber.png