• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Website: mormonsfor8.com

Watchmen

Premium Member
Yes, I did and am. I notice you didn't make snide remarks to the others who said basically the same thing.

Actually, you were the first to make a direct (and wrong) statement. I wasn't sure about the others and was asking follow-up questions.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Wow - I'm amazed at how wrong all of you are.

Here is a link to the FAQ: FAQ — Mormons for Proposition 8

It is a website dedicated to exposing Mormons who are contributing to the Yes on 8 campaign. For what purpose I wonder????

It seems to me that its purpose is to push Mormons into donating to this campaign by not-so-subtly letting them know that their fellow community members will be able to check up on whether they do or don't.
Who's not paying attention?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Polaris - God only knows that no one enjoys having a religion's views forced down their throat more than I do.

That being said, it does occur to me that there may be others out there that aren't as deeply in need of being told what is right as much as me, and that want to live their lives by a set of morals of their own choosing.

Watchmen

Premium Member
This isn't about trying to get other Mormons to donate. It's about harassing those who have.

Watchmen

Premium Member
This isn't about trying to get other Mormons to donate. It's about harassing those who have.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense to me. Why would a Mormon be embarrassed about supporting Prop 8 when the LDS leadership's official position is in support of the measure? I think they'd wear appearing on a page like that a badge of honor.

What kind of "harassment" have people been subjected to because of this?

Silly . . .

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
The only thing I've seen that might support your position is this:
Is this an anti-Mormon website?
Definitely not. Just as the people who support Prop 8 say they are “not anti-gay, just pro-marriage”, this site is “not anti-Mormon, just pro-information.”
... but that's ambiguous at best.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

Again, how do you know that? That's not stated anywhere. You have inferred that, and others have inferred something different. I'm not sure how you can be so sure about their intent.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
doppelgänger;1305282 said:
I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense to me. Why would a Mormon be embarrassed about supporting Prop 8 when the LDS leadership's official position is in support of the measure? I think they'd wear appearing on a page like that a badge of honor.

What kind of "harassment" have people been subjected to because of this?

Silly . . .

Indeed. From the interactions I've had on here with Mormons who support Prop 8, I'd say they'd love to have their name on such a site. They seem to be very pleased with themselves and proud of their bigotry.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

So you disagree with what they say in their FAQ?

Is this website trying to embarrass the Mormon Church?
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has called upon their members to “ do all you can to support the proposed constitutional amendment by donating of your means and time to assure that marriage in California is legally defined as being between a man and a woman.” We think the Church’s leaders should be pleased that we are anxiously engaged in publicizing how well their members have responded to this call.

Is this website trying to embarrass individual Mormon contributors?

Mormon contributions to groups that support Proposition 8, like other political contributions, are public information. The Mormons we know are proud to be Mormon and are proud to be contributors to the support of Proposition 8. Why would they be embarrassed?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
is best for our country?
is potentially harmful to our society?
And do you even have anything remotely credible and substantial at all to back these wacky claims up with? It is rather bigoted to attempt to pass laws that restrict and reduce our rights and liberty based on nothing more than worthless religious gobbledygook.

Seriously, if you don't believe in gay marriage, then don't marry someone of the same gender. Pretty simple. Why should those who do not even share your beliefs really give a damn about what you consider "sinful" or not? Keep your snouts out of other people's business.

Last edited:

Worshipper

That is very interesting! Thank you for sharing this, DisneyMan!

Kind of troubling that almost 50% of the money for Prop 8 has come from a group that represents about 2% of the state population. Kudos to these people for exposing the oligarchy in action!

As for everyone else's confusion about what this website is about, perhaps it's only something that Mormons can readily see. You and I look at the website and it's obvious to us what they're doing — especially when you look at their blogroll! But perhaps it relies too much on in-group allusions and references for folks who aren't part of our subculture to catch — not obvious in-group references like PPIs and BYCs and that kind of thing, but still perhaps a certain tone that only communicates properly to people who are already used to a particular melody.

Theocan

It is very sad when there are tons of people who contributed over 25,000 dollars to amend something to destroy another person's civil rights. The mindless adherents to the church is pretty sad.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
It is very sad when there are tons of people who contributed over 25,000 dollars to amend something to destroy another person's civil rights. The mindless adherents to the church is pretty sad.

What he said. Sad, indeed.

I wonder if God often cries, about what is done in His name?

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
Good for them in being pro-active. One of the things I admire the most about LDS is how they are rarely silent on any issue and they seem to practice what they preach. Now while I happen to not think Prop 8 is bad and I support people's desires to do as they please, I do defend other's rights to speak out on it and to assert their own beliefs. I don't think shouting people down by name calling and slandering them is the best environment for free expression and complete exchange of ideas.

I did find this Fact vs. Fiction site on Prop 8 which did eliminate a lot of things I had been wrongly told about the prop. I had been told churches would lose tax exempt statis for rejecting gays but it appears churches will not have to change. I am against anything that forces the beliefs of others on people. On the surface it looks OK to me.