• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Neither a Theist nor an Atheist Be?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I stumbled across this statement whilst puttering around teh interwebz.

"There is, however, no "not atheist nor theist". Anyone who actively believes there is a god is a theist. Anyone who does not (even if they consider the question "unknowable" or the like), is an atheist. There is not any neither theist nor atheist, everyone is one or the other."

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-b...a-person-who-is-neither-religious-nor-atheist

Is this true? Does one have to be either an atheist or a theist? If so, why? If not, what other options are there? Do you know anyone who is neither?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

"There is, however, no "not atheist nor theist". Anyone who actively believes there is a god is a theist. Anyone who does not (even if they consider the question "unknowable" or the like), is an atheist. There is not any neither theist nor atheist, everyone is one or the other."

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-b...a-person-who-is-neither-religious-nor-atheist

Is this true? Does one have to be either an atheist or a theist? If so, why? If not, what other options are there? Do you know anyone who is neither?

no, it isn't true. that is dualistic thinking, or thought.

i can be one and then the other obviously by changing my mind with thought; so basically i am capable of both. when one is latent the other is active and vice versa.

Last edited:

Jeremiah Ames

The quora question was about religion, not theism.
It is quite possible to be non religious and non atheist.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The quora question was about religion, not theism.
It is quite possible to be non religious and non atheist.

I'm well aware of what the Quora question was. The person I quoted answered it in the first paragraph of his response. I'm not interested in that portion of the discussion. This discussion is not about the original question, but what he said in the second paragraph of his post.

I believe I was quite clear on what the topic of this thread is in both the title and the OP. I'll thank you to not muddy the waters.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum

What is "god"?

Anyone who believes in "God" believes in their own god. Anyone who doesn't believe in "God" doesn't believe in a god they understand god to be.

But what if you don't know what "god" is even supposed to be? There are so may opinions of what this "god" is or isn't. So if you believe in it or not, it's more evidence for what you think god is or isn't.

HonestJoe

Both words have different meanings in different contexts. Its really not worth arguing about definitions and it's rarely useful to apply such simplistic labels to individuals, even yourself. Focus on the person and you'll probably find many more similarities than differences. :cool:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What is "god"?

Anyone who believes in "God" believes in their own god. Anyone who doesn't believe in "God" doesn't believe in a god they understand god to be.

But what if you don't know what "god" is even supposed to be? There are so may opinions of what this "god" is or isn't. So if you believe in it or not, it's more evidence for what you think god is or isn't.

You make a very good point here. I stopped using the word 'god' simply because whenever I did, someone would come along and anthropomorphize it or assign qualities it doesn't have. There is a tendency for many, even those who consider themselves to be atheists, to default to the God of Abraham when someone uses the word.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Surely that's a false dichotomy, isn't it? What is an agnostic?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
You make a very good point here. I stopped using the word 'god' simply because whenever I did, someone would come along and anthropomorphize it or assign qualities it doesn't have. There is a tendency for many, even those who consider themselves to be atheists, to default to the God of Abraham when someone uses the word.
Exactly. Since I'm a pantheist, I consider the totality of existence, cosmos, reality, including life, matter, energy, to be God. It's not a personal, in the sense of a single person with one single mind, but a compilation of things and thoughts that constitute the concept of God for me. And as such, God exists, while Abraham's God is a concept I don't believe in anymore. What's annoying is that talking to some religious people, I'm told my god-view is wrong. As well as when I talk to some atheists, I'm told my definition of God is wrong. So in other case, my God is "wrong" to them. Very annoying. So what is God, is the pertinent question before even the label of theist or atheist comes into play.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If you believe that there was some sort of a creator but that Creator is either dead or no longer intervenes and cannot be contacted, as I sometimes felt, that person is a not a theist or an atheist in my opinion

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I suppose the answer rather depends on how inclusive one is being with god-concepts. I've been around RF long enough that I've had discussions with folks for whom I seemingly don't fit into "theist" or "atheist" because my theology doesn't match with (typically) classical monotheism.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Exactly. Since I'm a pantheist, I consider the totality of existence, cosmos, reality, including life, matter, energy, to be God. It's not a personal, in the sense of a single person with one single mind, but a compilation of things and thoughts that constitute the concept of God for me. And as such, God exists, while Abraham's God is a concept I don't believe in anymore. What's annoying is that talking to some religious people, I'm told my god-view is wrong. As well as when I talk to some atheists, I'm told my definition of God is wrong. So in other case, my God is "wrong" to them. Very annoying. So what is God, is the pertinent question before even the label of theist or atheist comes into play.
It's not that your definition of "god" is wrong, but that "pantheist" is a misnomer (not your fault). Pantheists should be called pandeists since their god is more a deos (non-personal god) than a theos (personal god) - and therefore, using the definition atheist = not a theist, pantheists are atheists.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I suppose the answer rather depends on how inclusive one is being with god-concepts. I've been around RF long enough that I've had discussions with folks for whom I seemingly don't fit into "theist" or "atheist" because my theology doesn't match with (typically) classical monotheism.

I would consider anyone who recognizes, worships, reveres, or works with deities a theist.