• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need advice... Clashing feelings about faiths!

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
I've been experiencing too many coincidences it's kind of freaking me out. I don't know what to do about it. Follow that or follow what I feel like following?
Don't get hung up on this. Follow what you feel like following and eventually those 'coincidences' should evaporate.

Coincidences are a distraction from your higher purpose and the reason why it happens, is to say 'forget about what you are doing and just look at me!'.

The more you follow your path, the more they'll keep on happening, but it's just the universe acting like a spoiled brat of a child with an attention problem. Ignore it....trust me.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Haven't posted in this for a while...

I've been feeling conflicted - I feel I want to go with a package but then I end up disagreeing, rebelling or feeling weird about it. I feel like I'm a contradiction. I want rules and sacrifices, but I don't want to be told how to dress and act? Makes no sense.

Also, my beliefs aren't as well defined as I thought. I mean, I still hold panentheistic views but I see so many variants of it that I have no issue with that it doesn't help me chose what I want to do. When trying this quiz I feel many different answers are possible to me.

I wish I was one of those lucky people who get visions from their deity or religion... A dream, even. It's all so hard for me to go through, I feel spiritually empty.

Treks

You are writing precisely how I feel right now, Illy Kitty.

I've been reading this book: Secular Wholeness: What's It About? (you can read it online, HTML) and it's giving me something to think about, structure and purpose without a particular religion.

Here's a bit from the Intro:

The goods of religious practice
When I observe the life-styles of devout people, I see their religious practice delivering these important values:
  • The philosophical comfort of existential validity -- in plain language, assurance that one is not an accident but an intentional creation, with a role in a great story.
  • The social and material support of a congregation of like-minded people.
  • The psychological benefits of contemplative prayer and meditation.
  • The emotional comfort of ritual.
  • For a few, the bliss of ecstatic union with the All.
  • Constant challenge to be a better person, to transcend one's limits.
  • The use of a predefined ethical system.
  • Fearless awareness of death and comfort in bereavement.
These are the benefits for which I hope to find secular sources. As a skeptic by inclination and training, I have been quite selective in my search. I only tell you about things I have personally tried, or things that are documented in respected scientific journals, or things that, like the philosophy of Epicurus, are both satisfying to common sense and visibly harmless.

I still feel the lure of an organised religion though. Just none of them fit right LOL

illykitty

RF's pet cat
You are writing precisely how I feel right now, Illy Kitty.

I still feel the lure of an organised religion though. Just none of them fit right LOL

It's a good idea to look into it I'll read it when I'm up to it... It's the same for me, I feel the pull of religion. It's hard to explain but while something like secular humanism might fill some void, it wouldn't fill it entirely, there would be spiritual gaps and questions.

It certainly works for some but like UU, it wouldn't be enough for me. Maybe I'm expecting too much. :thud:

Also, today while looking back on some old threads, I'm slightly annoyed that some people think belief can be turned on and off at will. It doesn't work that way. Also you can't make yourself believe 100% that too doesn't work this way. If someone has doubts or doesn't believe, it might not be their fault - there's no switch to make it happen.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
It's a good idea to look into it I'll read it when I'm up to it... It's the same for me, I feel the pull of religion. It's hard to explain but while something like secular humanism might fill some void, it wouldn't fill it entirely, there would be spiritual gaps and questions.

It certainly works for some but like UU, it wouldn't be enough for me. Maybe I'm expecting too much. :thud:
I'm exactly the same; some things, like humanism or UU, just don't have enough for me. They don't seem to work. Deism is the same; it seems pretty decent, but it's too dry for me. I want something... well... more. It seems like there's nothing that goes in this massive middle ground between the religions, which sucks.

Also, today while looking back on some old threads, I'm slightly annoyed that some people think belief can be turned on and off at will. It doesn't work that way. Also you can't make yourself believe 100% that too doesn't work this way. If someone has doubts or doesn't believe, it might not be their fault - there's no switch to make it happen.
Yeah, totally. We don't have a belief-switch. It seems like so many people misunderstand belief.

Treks

For me it's like having a switch, but I can't operate it at will. I can believe one thing one day, and not the next.

GoodbyeDave

I've been feeling conflicted - I feel I want to go with a package but then I end up disagreeing, rebelling or feeling weird about it. I feel like I'm a contradiction. I want rules and sacrifices, but I don't want to be told how to dress and act?
Also, my beliefs aren't as well defined as I thought. I mean, I still hold panentheistic views but I see so many variants of it that I have no issue with that it doesn't help me chose what I want to do. When trying this quiz I feel many different answers are possible to me.
I know how you feel! Like a lot of people, you are drawn by the simplicity of Islam, and then you realise how many irrational commands there are:
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/islam-dir/115722-muslim-men-only-shaving-islam.html

Now I'm attracted to Hinduism, but then I feel "why does it matter what I eat?"

I'm reminded of the druid Philip Shallcrass who once said the great thing about being a druid was the very fact that so little was known about them: no one could come up to him and say "No real druid would have said what you wrote in your book"!

I suspect I'm going to wind up a reconstructionist, Hellenic or Egyptian.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I know how you feel! Like a lot of people, you are drawn by the simplicity of Islam, and then you realise how many irrational commands there are:
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/islam-dir/115722-muslim-men-only-shaving-islam.html

Now I'm attracted to Hinduism, but then I feel "why does it matter what I eat?"

I'm reminded of the druid Philip Shallcrass who once said the great thing about being a druid was the very fact that so little was known about them: no one could come up to him and say "No real druid would have said what you wrote in your book"!

I suspect I'm going to wind up a reconstructionist, Hellenic or Egyptian.

Yes, that's probably what I went through too, but maybe a bit more as well. Not to mention I've had a look at all major religions. And paganism is something I'm looking into at the moment as well.

Also, I realise it was just an example but iirc, not all Hindus are vegetarian... But I suppose it depends which sect you were looking into.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
My top 5 results of this test:

1. Hinduism (100%)
2. Mahayana Buddhism (93%)
3. Unitarian Universalism (90%)
4. Sikhism (85%)
5. Neo-Pagan (85%)

Those are my results at the moment. It fluctuates but I always have these things in my top, just at different percentages. UU is always there, but I don't find it fulfilling. The 6th is Jain... So lots of Dharma up there! Doesn't surprise me though.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Okay now this will probably come off as someone very contradictory and confused but if anyone can bare with me... I said in the thread "Reason to not be Muslim":

I know it's going to sound contradictory...Also I keep having many dreams about it, especially if I ignore it for a while, about being a Muslim, converting or being sorrounded by them. I'm not sure how to interpret it. I wanted to convert a few months ago but I think I chickened out.

I feel like I'm having a double life! How can I solve this annoying conflict? Is there any meaning in my constant dreams? Or am I overthinking? :areyoucra

It seems that in your innerself you think that islam is the right religeon. However there are parts of Islam that you are not able to practice ...
And also there are parts that you need to research more to fully understand Islam's position regarding them...

I would like to bring into light two ideas:

1. in Islam no one is asked to do what he/she can't do or what is unbearable for him/her to do:
Here are some Quranic quotes:

-Allah tasketh not a soul beyond its scope لا يكلف الله نفسا الا وسعها

-he (Allah).. hath not laid upon you in religion any hardship وما جعل عليكم في الدين من حرج

-He (Allah) hath explained unto you that which is forbidden unto you unless ye are compelled thereto وقد فصل لكم ما حرم عليكم الا ما اضطررتم اليه

2. If you can either embrace Islam while not full practicing it or reject Islam altogether, the first option is better. The good that you can't have all, don't miss it all!

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
My top 5 results of this test:

1. Hinduism (100%)
2. Mahayana Buddhism (93%)
3. Unitarian Universalism (90%)
4. Sikhism (85%)
5. Neo-Pagan (85%)

Those are my results at the moment. It fluctuates but I always have these things in my top, just at different percentages. UU is always there, but I don't find it fulfilling. The 6th is Jain... So lots of Dharma up there! Doesn't surprise me though.

Some of these quizzes can be quite good, at least for me.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Some of these quizzes can be quite good, at least for me.

Yeah well, with my test giving me a 100% Hindu as closest to my beliefs, that prompted me to ask why am I not a Hindu?

I came up with a list but I don't know if I should put it here or ask people on Hindu DIR what they think of it?

Most of the issues are really with me, not with the beliefs. I have no problem with Hindu beliefs, I've always found them so profound and timeless.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yeah well, with my test giving me a 100% Hindu as closest to my beliefs, that prompted me to ask why am I not a Hindu?

I came up with a list but I don't know if I should put it here or ask people on Hindu DIR what they think of it?

Most of the issues are really with me, not with the beliefs. I have no problem with Hindu beliefs, I've always found them so profound and timeless.

Hmm, see the common quiz(?) and a couple others were incredibly accurate for me, the list even was accurate in order of compatability..
The result might be giving the closest approximation perhaps??

illykitty

RF's pet cat

Thanks for the link, it is a very interesting thread. I read all of it. I made a thread of my own about a year ago, but I didn't go through with it because I was still unsure plus there was Islam and many other distractions.

I guess the only reason why I'm not plunging is because I get in my own way. I am the blockage to my own spiritual progression. My depression, anxieties and the fact I had so many bad experiences keep me from trying.

I wonder if I'll be one day too tired of letting these things control me.