• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need advice... Clashing feelings about faiths!

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Although I still don't know if there is a deity, deities or nothing... I feel tremendous awe, wonder peace and oneness when looking at the universe, either from a window, looking at the night sky or looking at pictures like ones on HubbleSite. Those feelings are the closest thing to how people describe divinity. Of course, it might not be, but I'm starting to feel it doesn't matter much. At this point, it almost feels like this is the best I'll ever get.

It somewhat also satisfies my intellectual needs, since I know it exists. The universe and my feelings exist... So what now? I don't really know what to do with all this.

I've recently looked into the RF mysticism sub-forum, something I'm really unfamiliar with... Could it be that what I experienced then was similar, maybe? Unless I'm really misunderstanding what I read.

Sabour

Throw all misconceptions and prejudice away and let your heart lead you in your search. A pure heart can't deceive anyone :)

Want the truth deep down within you and you will have it. Know that everything will be fine.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Probably what's bothering you with specific beliefs, is the some details in them. Don't make those details bother you much. Care more for the core of that belief. There are thing we as humans cannot comprehend well and have doubts, and if those things were the side dishes not the basics, I don't see it is wise to make them affect our interest in the basics (main pillars of a belief).

I hope you find the answers you are looking for sooner than later.

Remember also that a religion is not a doctrine and a collection of beliefs, but also a way of life. Try finding one that you thinks makes your life meaningful and vivid.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Although I still don't know if there is a deity, deities or nothing... I feel tremendous awe, wonder peace and oneness when looking at the universe, either from a window, looking at the night sky or looking at pictures like ones on HubbleSite. Those feelings are the closest thing to how people describe divinity. Of course, it might not be, but I'm starting to feel it doesn't matter much. At this point, it almost feels like this is the best I'll ever get.

It somewhat also satisfies my intellectual needs, since I know it exists. The universe and my feelings exist... So what now? I don't really know what to do with all this.

I've recently looked into the RF mysticism sub-forum, something I'm really unfamiliar with... Could it be that what I experienced then was similar, maybe? Unless I'm really misunderstanding what I read.

Sound good to me. I think it's good not to get too caught up in the details of definitions and beliefs. Life is organic and living. Maybe you don't have to do much with it, but keep being open to experiencing it and express that experience in your life.

Sounds like this sort of thing fits into mystical experiences to me. Freedom and peace is what the "spiritual" path is all about to me.

Aquitaine

Have you ever considered watching Carl Sagan's "COSMOS" series? :)

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Probably what's bothering you with specific beliefs, is the some details in them. Don't make those details bother you much. Care more for the core of that belief. There are thing we as humans cannot comprehend well and have doubts, and if those things were the side dishes not the basics, I don't see it is wise to make them affect our interest in the basics (main pillars of a belief).

I hope you find the answers you are looking for sooner than later.

Remember also that a religion is not a doctrine and a collection of beliefs, but also a way of life. Try finding one that you thinks makes your life meaningful and vivid.

It's true, there's always a detail I don't like, even with a path that I make. I guess it's a bit because of my perfectionism.

How messed up is that?

Aquitaine

To be honest, I wouldn't let it worry you: ultimately we're all in this together - mostly blind. No Human can claim to know 'the answer' as to why we're here and what life is all about.
Plus..... none of us are gonna make it out of this alive. ;)

So as long as one is thoughtful, considerate to others and acts within a fairly decent Ethical framework, then that's all that matters.
In truth, many Seekers may never find what they're looking for, but at the end of the day if we can learn to understand each other - we'll be able to take care of one-another. :)

I hope that helps, if not - feel free to ignore my random rambling. ^_^

Hi illykitty. :)

I've just read through this entire thread because your journey has been almost exactly like my own. I have spent so much time in my life searching for a religious path that called to me. Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Wicca, Druidry, Siddha Yoga, you name it. In all my searching, I only found myself more pained, lonely, and isolated. No single path ever felt like it fit; at first, everything seemed crystal clear and totally right, but then inevitably I'd be faced with a huge ethical quandary that I was unable to overlook, and would find that it wasn't for me after all.

That is, until I realized I had had it all wrong. I realized I was looking at my search (and my life) upside down.

Have you ever asked yourself why it is *you* who happens to have this struggle, when so many others do not? Maybe you're not broken after all, but you're just looking at your situation and thinking it is a curse when it is actually a blessing. Maybe there is a reason that you haven't found yourself in any of the religions you've explored. Maybe it is even part of your mission.

It could be that the ability to see through each religious path to its core message, and seeing that it is exactly the same core message of every other path, is a unique ability that few people in this world have, and you are lucky to be one of them. Perhaps your being on the outside allows you this perspective; allows you to relate to people with differing beliefs and values as sisters and brothers instead of as "others". You should cherish this rare gift.

However, I totally get the desire for belonging and community, which are also valuable needs that religion provides. If you are called to be religious, by all means, be religious.

Forgive me if I'm overstepping (I see a lot of similarities between the two of us), but it also sounds like maybe you don't trust yourself very much, and you question your own feelings and decisions quite often. It sounds like you are searching for Gd outside of yourself, in the places and the people you think have "got it", instead of truly understanding that Gd is within you as you. Right now.

It could be that, like an unpolished mirror, Gd (and Gd's path) will only be revealed to you once you do some necessary polishing; once you do the work of finding Him/Her/It within; once you realize you don't need fixing.

Might I suggest putting the religious quest on hold for a bit? Maybe the best suited path to Gd will find you when you are living in alignment with the authentic You. All you have to do is find You, and then Gd and His community will appear. Maybe belonging must come from within.

Or... maybe you just like to dabble. Maybe you work well exploring one religion for a bit and then moving onto another. That's OK too!

Wishing you so many blessings on your journey. :)

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
One of the most beautiful things about Islam ext to its' artistic merit is Sufism. Always had an interest in it but it just woo in reality although very beautiful woo. The thing is that I find religions so foreign and especially Sufism that it seems pointless. I am no Arab and have no need to affiliate myself with it, atheist or theist.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Hmm, well lately I'm sort of confused on how my beliefs could be called. Not that I need to have it all fit into a box but it might be hard to explain. Labels just make it easier to communicate (at least a very basic idea).

I guess I've been contemplating, and it feels that my beliefs are taking a more natural bent, believing in energy deity that is part of everything, as everything is made of energy in different forms... My PC file has it like this:

energy
!
cosmos
!
sun, moon, stars
!
nature, elements
!
ethics, qualities​

I'm not quite sure yet how to process all of this... Those are all things I feel I could worship. I know they're all made of energy (well ethics and qualities are from humans which are made of energy) but at the same time, they're each unique, they're their own beings as every human is different. So just worshipping energy seems... Limited. Polytheism makes more sense to me now than it did years ago.

I don't know if any of this is even remotely coherent to someone just looking into this thread or look like mad ramblings, but it's where I am at right now.

Edit: I'm starting to think this thread is more and more inappropriate... I still need advice but it's no longer clashing feelings and not about Islam anymore. I guess I could make a new thread but I don't like to "waste" internet "space". :eek:

Last edited:

Servant_of_the_One1

Please listen to your heart and choose what your heart tells you. Whatever you choose, as long you are happy inside.
Goodluck, i hope you find what you were looking for.