• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need advice... Clashing feelings about faiths!

Sabour

Also I keep having many dreams about it, especially if I ignore it for a while, about being a Muslim, converting or being sorrounded by them. I'm not sure how to interpret it. I wanted to convert a few months ago but I think I chickened out.

Sister, I am a Muslim.

I just want to tell you that things like that don't just normally happen :)

Hope you the best.

Treks

Regarding the dreams, I do have them too, about Sikhism. About being in darbar sahib and matha tekna, about Guru Sahib and the sangat.

It's our obsession with the path bubbling away in our subconscious.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Regarding the dreams, I do have them too, about Sikhism. About being in darbar sahib and matha tekna, about Guru Sahib and the sangat.

It's our obsession with the path bubbling away in our subconscious.

I've had the same sort of dreams about Catholicism. When you've developed a strong emotional connection with something, you tend to dream about it.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I've had the same sort of dreams about Catholicism. When you've developed a strong emotional connection with something, you tend to dream about it.

Yeah it's true. I'm not dreaming those dreams anymore. I'm glad cause Islam was so incompatible with me and what I feel. I am incapable of believing in that concept of the divine. I tried but can't because deep inside I feel it's not true. There's also intellectual reasons why too. But I'm trying to rely on my intuitions better.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Well, I don't really know how to worship in Hinduism, but as my title suggests, I've been Ganesh focused lately.

Been praying, offering incense and some sweets. Listening to songs like this: click. I don't know what I'm doing but I'm hoping that maybe if something is meant to be, then I'll find my way at some point.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Worship in the way that feels most natural to you. :)

This might help. Have you heard of the 4 margas/yogas?

Hinduism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Remember reading about it in the Bhagavad Gita and some online sources. :D How does one find which works for them? By trying? :confused:

Also, you might find this interesting illykitty.

There is a small (very small) school of Hinduism which considers Ganesha to be the Supreme God.

Ganapatya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Never saw this. I started worshipping Ganesh because he is said to remove obstacles, and well there's plenty of that in my life... Plus I didn't really know who I wanted to worship.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Remember reading about it in the Bhagavad Gita and some online sources. :D How does one find which works for them? By trying? :confused:

I'd say yes, but also what caters to their natural disposition.

For example, with me, I do have Bhakti (devotion), but it is not the center of my practice. In fact, I think the argument can be made that too much devotion in and of itself can become fruitless and empty.

However, I feel that by doing good works and cultivating compassion of others (and myself) that I'm serving both God and others. As such, I consider myself both a Bhakti and Karma yogi.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Also, if you want to, you can have darshan from SiddhiVinayak temple in India. It always cheers me up, and I never miss the pûja. It can help you getting familiar with Ganapati and Hinduism without to take the step to go to a temple yet !

Shree Siddhivinayak

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

Never saw this. I started worshipping Ganesh because he is said to remove obstacles, and well there's plenty of that in my life... Plus I didn't really know who I wanted to worship.

I guess you need to buy the statue to worship Ganesha.:D

Good luck Illykitty

il_570xN.499981817_3j3f.jpg

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I'd say yes, but also what caters to their natural disposition.

For example, with me, I do have Bhakti (devotion), but it is not the center of my practice. In fact, I think the argument can be made that too much devotion in and of itself can become fruitless and empty.

However, I feel that by doing good works and cultivating compassion of others (and myself) that I'm serving both God and others. As such, I consider myself both a Bhakti and Karma yogi.

Hmm natural disposition... To be honest I don't know myself well enough for that. Maybe I'll just try different things till it feels right?

Also, if you want to, you can have darshan from SiddhiVinayak temple in India. It always cheers me up, and I never miss the pûja. It can help you getting familiar with Ganapati and Hinduism without to take the step to go to a temple yet !

Shree Siddhivinayak

Oh wow thanks, I'll definitely have a look. I'm not ready to go to a temple, mainly due to anxiety and shyness. I'm a little scared plus I don't even know what I would do once there. Stand and look awkward I guess! :p

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I guess you need to buy the statue to worship Ganesha.:D

Good luck Illykitty

il_570xN.499981817_3j3f.jpg

Thank you, well, not buying anything yet, I need to be sure that this is what I'll stick with. I don't have much money so need to be careful.

At the moment a picture is fine, I think. Plus thinking of divinity and worshipping from the heart, whatever religion, is something I've always done. Picture or no picture. Ganesh is so cute though. It makes me happy to just look at him.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Yeah, good luck, not really sure what you're asking tbh.

Why did you post then? Better remain silent sometimes.

And this thread is sort of like my journal... Spiritual progress and so on. Last page has my reflections and questions about Hinduism.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Why did you post then? Better remain silent sometimes.

And this thread is sort of like my journal... Spiritual progress and so on. Last page has my reflections and questions about Hinduism.

Hmm right. And that is supposed to mean something??
Why not post?
But o.k., later.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Oh wow thanks, I'll definitely have a look. I'm not ready to go to a temple, mainly due to anxiety and shyness. I'm a little scared plus I don't even know what I would do once there. Stand and look awkward I guess! :p

If I lived in London, I'd take you to one.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
If I lived in London, I'd take you to one.

Actually... I'm not far from London ! *sudden awkward realization that I've never been to London ever in my life*

Let's make a deal kitty ! show me nice places of London and I take you to the temple ! We'll go together :bow: