• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need advice... Clashing feelings about faiths!

illykitty

RF's pet cat
If I lived in London, I'd take you to one.

Hehe that's sweet... I have a hard time with normal things as well, I don't really go out, well not alone.

I don't live near London though I suppose trains take you anywhere from there so, doesn't matter. Understood the sentiment.

I'm sure my anxieties and fears might be baseless but I don't really have control over these things.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Actually... I'm not far from London ! *sudden awkward realization that I've never been to London ever in my life*

Let's make a deal kitty ! show me nice places of London and I take you to the temple ! We'll go together :bow:

Good luck choosing. That place must have a hundred temples. :)

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Actually... I'm not far from London ! *sudden awkward realization that I've never been to London ever in my life*

Let's make a deal kitty ! show me nice places of London and I take you to the temple ! We'll go together :bow:

True France is real close, I've been there via train, at Paris only once and it was to go to Disney though (husband and I are big kids). Funny anecdote, I tried to buy sunscreen there and said it in English, didn't get it. Said in in French, they still didn't get it. Either they were trolling me or couldn't get my French Canadian accent. Figures. :p

Lol well I go to London a few times a year, like spend like a week there and such... I wouldn't say I know my way around but know of a few nice places. :D I'd love to show you and go to temples. Heh maybe someday!

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Good luck choosing. That place must have a hundred temples. :)

amazed-kitty.gif

3862-xcr-fully-adjustable-stock-fast-funny-pictures-cat-amazed.jpg

Nyingjé Tso

Funny anecdote, I tried to buy sunscreen there and said it in English, didn't get it. Said in in French, they still didn't get it. Either they were trolling me or couldn't get my French Canadian accent. Figures. :p

Well... "sunscreen" is not a complicated word, that's weird that they didn't understand it xD Weirder if you said "crème solaire"...
I've always heard foreigners saying how rude and bad english speakers Frenchs are, I was like "waaat ? No waaay that's not true, we're nice to people !"

Then I... Went to Paris :facepalm: It was... Terrible.

We're not all like this ! I think people just go to Paris and think the whole country is like that. It's actually completely wrong, Paris is really like... A complete different world in itself xD

I come from Toulouse, the "pink city", and never see much tourists there... It's quite a shame, since it's a very nice place, and waaaay less rude and stressful than Paris !

Toulouse-Ville.jpg

Lol well I go to London a few times a year, like spend like a week there and such... I wouldn't say I know my way around but know of a few nice places. :D I'd love to show you and go to temples. Heh maybe someday!

Bleh no problem, let's just have an ice cream and find a place with cats. Lots of cats. :D

Really I hope someday we can do this ! Hey have you heard of Bob the cat ? I would love to see him in London one day ! I'm a fan of Bob and James

illykitty

RF's pet cat
List of Hindu temples in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The first one I hit in the search actually was a Ganesha temple, London Hindu Temples.Com Sri Lankan style. Sounds about right. :)

Awesome! :D I know of one temple sort of nearby, Krishna one. Never been there but someone told me I could go... But I didn't because of said issues and I'm not sure if they understood that I wanted to do more than just visit like a tourist or something.

Well... "sunscreen" is not a complicated word, that's weird that they didn't understand it xD Weirder if you said "crème solaire"...
I've always heard foreigners saying how rude and bad english speakers Frenchs are, I was like "waaat ? No waaay that's not true, we're nice to people !"

Then I... Went to Paris :facepalm: It was... Terrible.

We're not all like this ! I think people just go to Paris and think the whole country is like that. It's actually completely wrong, Paris is really like... A complete different world in itself xD

I come from Toulouse, the "pink city", and never see much tourists there... It's quite a shame, since it's a very nice place, and waaaay less rude and stressful than Paris !

Toulouse-Ville.jpg

Bleh no problem, let's just have an ice cream and find a place with cats. Lots of cats. :D

Really I hope someday we can do this ! Hey have you heard of Bob the cat ? I would love to see him in London one day ! I'm a fan of Bob and James

Yes that's EXACTLY what I said, crème solaire. They just gave me weird looks. Rude indeed! But yes I know that's not representing France as a whole. Have a friend from there and he's from south of France region and he says even he can't stand the attitude in Paris, lol. EDIT: I think he's from Toulouse too!

I'd love to go to Toulouse, always thought it looked really pretty! :D Looks a lot more relaxed indeed.

I'd love that, I like both ice cream (especially kulfi) and cats. Yes I've read about them, such a sweet story. That cat saved him, gave him a purpose and someone to care for. It's amazing how having a little furball changes everything. Btw, love the pics you posted, including the cats... Brought back a smile.

Last edited:

Sabour

I just want you to know if you ever want to discuss Islam I am always ready for discussion.

I hope you the best in your search.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
So what is the best way to learn in Hinduism? From other people in the community?

Or is there plenty of resources for someone to learn by themselves?

Just want to know, thanks. :)

Nyingjé Tso

Hm, since you are into GaneshJi, there is a must read book about Him !

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/view/loving-ganesha

I loved this book, and you can download it for free.

Here is the basics:
https://www.himalayanacademy.com/readlearn/basics/fourteen-questions

Aaaand... This should help you too !
https://www.himalayanacademy.com/view/what-is-hinduism

There are plenty of books from Himalayan academy that helped me much for learning, but I recommend the rest only when you are familiar with the basics ;)

Well uh... I suppose you are already familiar with Baghavad gita or Ramayana and Mahabharata ? ^^"

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Thank you! :D I'll read those links, have pleeeenty of time in my hands.

And yeah, Bhagavad Gita, which is what made me love Hinduism. I couldn't believe it was so old, sounded so relevant. I know of Mahabharata - since there's the series on YouTube. :D Not familiar with Ramayana, tbh.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Well, I was silly, didn't transfer the books on my iPad and didn't have access to the internet while in the hotel in Greece. It was extra charge to have it so we passed on that... I did read a good book though (not related to religion) and had a good break from everything...

But reality sort of slaps you in the face when you come back and I find myself to be feeling a void. I'm not sure why.

I'm wondering at the moment what am I doing and what is it that I want (apart from getting closer to the divine).

I just wish I was a bit more certain about things and could feel deep faith.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hi Illy :)

I understand from knowing you so far is that you tried a number of faiths!

What was the longest one you stayed in?

Try going back to that one giving it another try. Maybe you just need an incentive!

last but not the least, I hope you find what you are looking for as soon as possible :)

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I just wish I was a bit more certain about things and could feel deep faith.

Uncertainty can be a good place to be, if you approach it right. If you are not attached so many different ideas, you are in a better place to understand what's going on now.

I'd recommend meditative practices like vipassana/samatha in addition to whatever you are learning about right now.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Uncertainty can be a good place to be, if you approach it right. If you are not attached so many different ideas, you are in a better place to understand what's going on now.

I'd recommend meditative practices like vipassana/samatha in addition to whatever you are learning about right now.

I'll have to look it up because I have no idea what those are but I find meditation hard. It's not that I can't let a thought go by without interacting with it but the thoughts themselves are often painful and that leaves me in a depressed state. Even if I let it go by without responding, the feelings still arise.

I agree uncertainty isn't a bad thing sometimes but it's leaving me in a "limbo" sort of state.

It's depressing to think of potentially being stuck like this for the rest of my life.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I'll have to look it up because I have no idea what those are but I find meditation hard. It's not that I can't let a thought go by without interacting with it but the thoughts themselves are often painful and that leaves me in a depressed state. Even if I let it go by without responding, the feelings still arise.

I agree uncertainty isn't a bad thing sometimes but it's leaving me in a "limbo" sort of state.

It's depressing to think of potentially being stuck like this for the rest of my life.

Yeah, the feelings part is pretty tough. The idea of samatha is learning to just peacefully relax in whatever is going on in the body and mind, and the idea of vipassana is to see clearly what is happening. So it's not an issue of stopping anything, but observing with the intention to understand.

And I think I can relate a bit, being afraid of being stuck like this for the rest of your life. I believe that, if we move forward with sincerity and perseverance, we will inevitably succeed eventually.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

Treat the feelings the same way as you would any other thought. Watch them rise, acknowledge them, then watch them fade away. You may get several waves of emotion rising and passing away before your mind settles down. If they become painful, focus more on your breathing while watching them arise and pass away.

Experiencing your emotions while in a mindful meditative state might be a bit painful, but prolly not as painful as when you experience your emotions when you are not being mindful of them, and you act out of these emotions.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Treat the feelings the same way as you would any other thought. Watch them rise, acknowledge them, then watch them fade away. You may get several waves of emotion rising and passing away before your mind settles down. If they become painful, focus more on your breathing while watching them arise and pass away.

Experiencing your emotions while in a mindful meditative state might be a bit painful, but prolly not as painful as when you experience your emotions when you are not being mindful of them, and you act out of these emotions.

Thank you for the detailed advice. I'm going to try though I'm not sure if I'll keep it up. I tend to avoid things that make me uncomfortable. I've got a lot of pain in my past and even present. I worry a lot about the future too.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I've been thinking of letting go lately of searching for a religion. It might be healthier for my mental state, since it's making me anxious. I thought maybe I should embrace my uncertainty and just adopt simple beliefs. I thought of focusing more on practice and ethics instead.

·Panentheism for my belief in the divine.
·Nature for my reverence.
·Self-improvement and practice, as a focus.
·Humanitarian ethics, golden rule, etc. Those are my morals, if you will.
·Afterlife not so important, I don't know. I believe in reincarnation and/or reunion with the deity but in the end, there's no certainty. Try my best to be a good person.

As for practice, I might still pray and express gratitude to the divine but I don't expect anything from the deity from doing that. Revere nature, we depend on it and it is part of the divine anyway. I'll look into practices from Buddhism and other sources that could help me improve, spiritually, mentally, emotionally. Morality can come from empathy and I'm quite confidant in my ethics.

That's all, I simplified it down to the core. I could expand on it but to keep it minimalistic would perhaps be the best option.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.

As for practice, I might still pray and express gratitude to the divine but I don't expect anything from the deity from doing that. ........................

Peace be on you.. First Chapter of Holy Quran can be made one. [alislam.org/quran]....just a wish.