• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nearly 30 arrested for mass shooting threats in weeks after El Paso, Dayton

idav

Being
Premium Member
U.S. population= 327 million
Guns owned by civilians=383 million.
Guns clearly out number people.

1983 to present there have been 114 mass shootings
Mass Shootings in the US: See 37 Years in One Chart | Time

114 mass shootings/383 million guns= 0.0000297% of guns used for mass shootings.

If 200 million civilians own guns(it may be higher/lower)...
114 mass shootings/200 million guns owners= 0.000057% of gun owners use guns for mass shootings.

It's a people problem, not a gun problem.
The math suggests that states with lax gun laws have more mass shootings. That doesn’t mean people can’t go to neighboring states, among other unpredictable factors , but the causality is becoming more clear as mass shootings become more prevalent.
U.S. states with stricter gun controls have fewer mass shootings

Curious George

Veteran Member
The math suggests that states with lax gun laws have more mass shootings. That doesn’t mean people can’t go to neighboring states, among other unpredictable factors , but the causality is becoming more clear as mass shootings become more prevalent.
U.S. states with stricter gun controls have fewer mass shootings
That is not causality.

There is another thread "i want to kill you." This thread addresses homicidal notions. If we to have sufficient technology we could chip every person and indefinitely lock them up whenever an individual over the age of 8 had a homicidal thought. Why not? Obviously people who commit murder will correlate to people who have homicidal thoughts.

Should such a system be considered? Should such a system be within our authority to enact?

This extremist and reactionary politics is what gun control sounds like. People want to infringe on the people's right to keep and bear arms because some individuals use that right to act out violently.

The erosion of rights are something we should all guard against, even when those rights are not used by us.

idav

Being
Premium Member
That is not causality.

There is another thread "i want to kill you." This thread addresses homicidal notions. If we to have sufficient technology we could chip every person and indefinitely lock them up whenever an individual over the age of 8 had a homicidal thought. Why not? Obviously people who commit murder will correlate to people who have homicidal thoughts.

Should such a system be considered? Should such a system be within our authority to enact?

This extremist and reactionary politics is what gun control sounds like. People want to infringe on the people's right to keep and bear arms because some individuals use that right to act out violently.

The erosion of rights are something we should all guard against, even when those rights are not used by us.
If a person in California has to travel to a neighboring state Nevada to then go back to Cali and commit a mass shooting, that should be a red flag. Lax or restrictive laws isn’t infringement.

Gunman in Gilroy mass shooting bought ‘assault-type rifle’ legally in Nevada, police say

Curious George

Veteran Member
If a person in California has to travel to a neighboring state Nevada to then go back to Cali and commit a mass shooting, that should be a red flag. Lax or restrictive laws isn’t infringement.

Gunman in Gilroy mass shooting bought ‘assault-type rifle’ legally in Nevada, police say
A red flag for what?

"Infringement" is an interesting word. I think there is definitely a discussion to be had on what constitutes "infringement." Infringement does not mean the same thing as exclusion or extinguishment. Arguably any encroachment is an infringement.

If the goal is to both limit the number and accessibility of guns. This definitely seems like an infringement.

What do you consider an infringement?

idav

Being
Premium Member
A red flag for what?

"Infringement" is an interesting word. I think there is definitely a discussion to be had on what constitutes "infringement." Infringement does not mean the same thing as exclusion or extinguishment. Arguably any encroachment is an infringement.

If the goal is to both limit the number and accessibility of guns. This definitely seems like an infringement.

What do you consider an infringement?
Infringing on constitutional rights counts though I consider restrictions on military grade weapons reasonable. We live in dangerous times so laws that guide gun ownership makes sense to me. Although I do think that laws like in New Jersey which counts BB guns as firearms is a bit excessive. That’s one for the lawyers to argue over.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Infringing on constitutional rights counts though I consider restrictions on military grade weapons reasonable. We live in dangerous times so laws that guide gun ownership makes sense to me. Although I do think that laws like in New Jersey which counts BB guns as firearms is a bit excessive. That’s one for the lawyers to argue over.
We live in dangerous times, why not chip people and monitor their thoughts for homicidal ones?

MikeDwight

How come I never got in any violence or saw any anywhere in White Settlement Texas, cleaning black people's houses we should add. Then, the minute I'm anywhere else, well look at it. Point is black people should point out the white people group they Do look up to and hang out with them in a nonviolent servitude kind of role. or safer, some sort of safer situation.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Lol interesting straw man. Just because thought crime shouldn’t be a thing doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be reasonable laws.
Except there is no strawman. I am not pretending you suggested there be thought crime. I have not assumed you have said anything. I am simply challenging you to make the argument.

MikeDwight

Some guy punches you in the face, you think about murdering the guy, woop woop. That's not societal modeling I understand anyway.

idav

Being
Premium Member
How come I never got in any violence or saw any anywhere in White Settlement Texas, cleaning black people's houses we should add. Then, the minute I'm anywhere else, well look at it. Point is black people should point out the white people group they Do look up to and hang out with them in a nonviolent servitude kind of role. or safer, some sort of safer situation.
When we don’t see it then it isn’t happening. A congressman’s daughter was across the street when the Dayton mass shooting happened and suddenly wants restrictions on military style weapons.
Dayton GOP congressman whose daughter was across street from mass shooting backs ban on ‘military-style’ guns, magazine limits

MikeDwight

When we don’t see it then it isn’t happening. A congressman’s daughter was across the street when the Dayton mass shooting happened and suddenly wants restrictions on military style weapons.
Dayton GOP congressman whose daughter was across street from mass shooting backs ban on ‘military-style’ guns, magazine limits
You are just on the Black side in the LA Riots! See when Black neighborhood the Rodney King Verdict and the OJ Simpson's verdicts was the Japanese with Judge Ito. You're on the black side you guys. I'm with Texan Donut shops. And they get in squad formation on the rooftops. The wives are always good Church helpers, they are always there with the Church Kitchen food, Donuts... And then they get $300 each of them for Sa-I-Gu. Everyone's amazingly surprisingly unbelievably happy in that moment I think.
th

upload_2019-8-24_20-48-37.jpeg

idav

Being
Premium Member
Except there is no strawman. I am not pretending you suggested there be thought crime. I have not assumed you have said anything. I am simply challenging you to make the argument.
I wouldn't make such an argument.
You are just on the Black side in the LA Riots! See when Black neighborhood the Rodney King Verdict and the OJ Simpson's verdicts was the Japanese with Judge Ito. You're on the black side you guys. I'm with Texan Donut shops. And they get in squad formation on the rooftops. The wives are always good Church helpers, they are always there with the Church Kitchen food, Donuts... And then they get $300 each of them for Sa-I-Gu. Everyone's amazingly surprisingly unbelievably happy in that moment I think.
th

View attachment 32328
Life has its ups and downs so we should remain vigilant.

MikeDwight

I wouldn't make such an argument.

Life has its ups and downs so we should remain vigilant.
Meh point was, how come you'd be hurting some urban minorities with gun control laws, seems like. Yo know I Just rewatched Sa-I-Gu, or 4-2-9, like 3-1 was the rebellion of the Korean state, sam-il, well hey Dosan Ahn Chang Ho says, while everyone else learned machineguns Korea took naps, you know, people got to help themselves.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Meh point was, how come you'd be hurting some urban minorities with gun control laws, seems like.
You say hurting and I referenced an article of a gop member attempting to help with reasonable restriction. Are you suggesting "urbanites" should stockpile weapons to prepare for war torn environments in case of rebellions? Seems a bit extreme.