• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslim Brotherhood takes lead in Egypt vote.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Unless your a Kurd of course ;),at one time they weren't allowed to sing in their own language

But it's not because of Islam; at one point black people were enslaved in the US too.

Non at all,really,you can see its benefit all over the Middle East :)

The previous Egyptian regime was mostly secular, and even persecuted Islamic parties. Look at where Egypt is now.

Tunisia barely allowed headscarves and was staunchly secular, and they still had an oppressive regime. Meanwhile, Turkey and Malaysia were doing just great and steadily progressing with pro-Islamic governments. :)

Photonic

Ad astra!
Fundamentalism and intolerance are everywhere. You're always going to have religious conflicts somewhere in your country, although the point is minimizing it until it completely disappears (which is nigh-impossible, considering that we're humans ;)).

The Christians now have a political party, a leader, and have a right to vote as much as anyone else does.

In fact, an ex-member of the Muslims Brotherhood (who is a presidential candidate) said that if the people chose a Coptic president, he would be okay with it, as long as he was chosen freely.

How does that sound unfair?

Turkey is mainly an Islamic country, and it's doing very well in terms of development and progress. I've yet to hear of a Turkish citizen being stoned or beheaded too.

You ever had any doubt? ;)

Turkey, unsurprisingly, has a secular government.

That's why.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
But it's not because of Islam; at one point black people were enslaved in the US too.

That was years ago,not the present

The previous Egyptian regime was mostly secular, and even persecuted Islamic parties. Look at where Egypt is now.

True,but persecution didn't just come from the Government,ask the Copts,Kareem Amer Soiliman and others like him were singled out too by Al Ahzar

Tunisia barely allowed headscarves and was staunchly secular, and they still had an oppressive regime. Meanwhile, Turkey and Malaysia were doing just great and steadily progressing with pro-Islamic governments. :)

Turkey is officially secular,although there are mandatory religious classes for Children which focus on Islam,Turkey is probably the best of the bunch though

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Turkey, unsurprisingly, has a secular government.

That's why.

Its current government is focusing on gradually turning it into an Islamic state, so I would say it's at 50/50 right now.

Turkey is officially secular,although there are mandatory religious classes for Children which focus on Islam,Turkey is probably the best of the bunch though

See above.

Shermana

Heretic
No you are not bad, if you think Israel should be ready for external security threats. to be honest I am not sure what do you mean by the biggest war they have experienced. I don't want to project, but its always ideal to keep religious sentiments like these (if this is what it is) out of clear security threats and measures.
often Israel does not answer to the religious expectations of people, because Israel is officially a secular nation.

There's no religious sentiment whatsoever, why would you think I was talking religiously? The religious sentiment in question is of the currently-in-power Muslim Brotherhood, not of Israel. I'm saying that even if the temporary transition government said they'd uphold the peace treaty with Israel, that"s no guarantee whatsoever, (especially with all those "Death to Israel" gatherings ) and Israel should be preparing for a million+ man invasion with modern tanks and F-16s, so upgrading their arsenal to include B-52s might be helpful to prevent being overrun, or at the very best, as a deterrent. The current air force I don't believe is sufficient for a rising power like Egypt. Egypt is trying to degrade relations with Israel whenever possible, is it not?

gnostic

The Lost One
debater slayer said:
The Christians now have a political party, a leader, and have a right to vote as much as anyone else does.

In fact, an ex-member of the Muslims Brotherhood (who is a presidential candidate) said that if the people chose a Coptic president, he would be okay with it, as long as he was chosen freely.

How does that sound unfair?

I don't think there would be ever Coptic president, because of the current demographic. As I said before, previous MB ministers in the previous government walked out of parliament when a bill was introduced, so that the Coptic Christian (or woman) would be eligible for presidency. If mood of the MB has changed today, then that's great.

Well, we'll see how the Muslim Brotherhood treats the Coptic Christians (as well as other minority groups in Egypt) when they are really in power. Only time will reveal what their policies are towards minorities.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
There's no religious sentiment whatsoever, why would you think I was talking religiously?
Because saying that Israel should be prepared for the biggest war in its history is fear mongering. you do realize that it is the Egyptian military who currently asks for the elections favorable to the MB not to undermine the secular platform of the state? please don't simplify this situation.
The religious sentiment in question is of the currently-in-power Muslim Brotherhood, not of Israel. I'm saying that even if the temporary transition government said they'd uphold the peace treaty with Israel, that"s no guarantee whatsoever, (especially with all those "Death to Israel" gatherings ) and Israel should be preparing for a million+ man invasion with modern tanks and F-16s, so upgrading their arsenal to include B-52s might be helpful to prevent being overrun, or at the very best, as a deterrent. The current air force I don't believe is sufficient for a rising power like Egypt. Egypt is trying to degrade relations with Israel whenever possible, is it not?
Yeap. like I said. fear mongering. one of the issues in nations such as Egypt is their desire to solve domestic issues and the economic difficulties of the major classes. Israel is not in this category and in fact defies such focus on domestic affairs.
the only way Israel can lose at the moment from an Islamist government is if Egypt handicap the positive measures Mubarak's government has taken in regards to security. for once, I felt that an Egyptian government was placing its own interests and its own pride instead of using the Palestinians as an excuse to avoid a serious approach to security concerns inside and around its own borders.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Its current government is focusing on gradually turning it into an Islamic state, so I would say it's at 50/50 right now.

See above.

Like you say its 50/50 which has been the case for a long time,i think even Erdogan knows the result of it turning into a so called Islamic state so my monies on the 50% who don't want it to.

Shermana

Heretic
Because saying that Israel should be prepared for the biggest war in its history is fear mongering. you do realize that it is the Egyptian military who currently asks for the elections favorable to the MB not to undermine the secular platform of the state? please don't simplify this situation.

Yeap. like I said. fear mongering. one of the issues in nations such as Egypt is their desire to solve domestic issues and the economic difficulties of the major classes. Israel is not in this category and in fact defies such focus on domestic affairs.
the only way Israel can lose at the moment from an Islamist government is if Egypt handicap the positive measures Mubarak's government has taken in regards to security. for once, I felt that an Egyptian government was placing its own interests and its own pride instead of using the Palestinians as an excuse to avoid a serious approach to security concerns inside and around its own borders.

Would you still say I was Fear mongering? Is Israelnationalnews fearmongering?

Muslim Brotherhood Plans to Cancel Peace Pact - Middle East - News - Israel National News

The Muslim Brotherhood comes up with a neat trick to break the peace treaty with Israel without formally doing so. Egypt’s next likely ruling party says it simply will hold a plebiscite and let the people do it.
Rashad Bayoumi, deputy Supreme Leader of the Brotherhood, told the London-based newspaper Al-Hayat on Sunday it respects international treaties and will leave the issue of the peace treaty in the hands of the people. The pact was signed by then-Egyptian president Anwar Sadat and Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin, but a "cold peace" has set in over the past several years.
“People will express their opinions on it. All parties can reconsider the treaty and Egyptians haven't yet had their say,” he explained. “We won't violate the treaty. We can put it for referendum among people or parliament,” Bayoumi said.
The ploy would ostensibly take the onus off the radical Muslim party, which Jeffrey Feltman, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs, has said will respect the treaty.
However, Bayoumi’s statements to Al Hayat made it clear that the Brotherhood has no intention of recognizing Israel. “I’ll never allow myself to sit down with a criminal. We will not deal with Israelis by any means,” he said.
The Muslim Brotherhood won approximately 40 percent in the first rounds of voting for the next Egyptian legislature, giving it a plurality. The next popular party is the even more radical Salafi al-Nour party, which won nearly 30 percent of the vote.