• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslim Brotherhood takes lead in Egypt vote.

Flankerl

And are we just going to forget the stuff before that? Like all the free elections before the march 1933 election?

If so this is almost like history lesson in germany. :D

not nom

And are we just going to forget the stuff before that? Like all the free elections before the march 1933 election?

uhm no, more like pointing out (some more of) the stuff that's often overlooked when people say "hitler was elected"... I would never say he didn't have a lot of support etc. but the nazis didn't take no for an answer, either.

Flankerl

uhm no, more like pointing out (some more of) the stuff that's often overlooked when people say "hitler was elected"... I would never say he didn't have a lot of support etc. but the nazis didn't take no for an answer, either.

Ah iam sorry.

gnostic

The Lost One
I wondered what would happen to Coptic Christians, should the MB wins real political powers.

They have been discriminated and persecuted for decades by those in powers and Muslim mobs.

Will the Copts fate be any different when the MB are in power? I don't think their life will get better, when MB wins.

Photonic

Ad astra!
I wondered what would happen to Coptic Christians, should the MB wins real political powers.

They have been discriminated and persecuted for decades by those in powers and Muslim mobs.

Will the Copts fate be any different when the MB are in power? I don't think their life will get better, when MB wins.

Well, even the Egyptian Military that is in power now has brutally cracked down on their peaceful protests.

I don't expect it to get any better with a notoriously uncompromising Islamic party.

gnostic

The Lost One
photonic said:
Well, even the Egyptian Military that is in power now has brutally cracked down on their peaceful protests.

I don't expect it to get any better with a notoriously uncompromising Islamic party.

Some years ago, I don't remember when, I've heard in the SBS news (Melbourne), they had some MPs from the Muslim Brotherhood walked out of parliament, when the government tried to introduce a bill that would allow Copt Christians and women to be eligible candidate for presidency. I don't remember if the bill was passed or not.

I don't know if the MB are against women or against Copts running for presidency. And It too far back in time for me to remember, and I didn't pay that much attention about news in Egypt at that time. Perhaps, someone here who know more about Egypt political arenas.

If I remembered correctly what I've heard, then members of MB can be just as biased as groups of people. It is plain bigotry, and such a party would more than likely discriminate or persecute the Coptic Christians.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Why should anybody be worried about the MB,ok they were allied to Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany,ok they are linked to Hamas but really they just want to give the world a squiggy hug.
I remember months ago when I said this will be the outcome some members typically shrugged it off and ridiculed my post.
however I will comment that the MB will have to tone itself down and moderate or compromise on its Islamist line in order to have such an active role.
in Morocco the Islamist party is not necessarily militant, but perhaps more concerned with the nation's domestic woes and how to address them.
so time will tell.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Israel may need to invest in wide-spread carpet bombers...like B52s...
You're not helping anyone with your one liners.
Israeli citizens have more interest in holding the signed peace treaty with Egypt, as should be the interest of the Egyptians.

Shermana

Heretic
You're not helping anyone with your one liners.
Israeli citizens have more interest in holding the signed peace treaty with Egypt, as should be the interest of the Egyptians.

So you think Egypt has no plans of attacking? Nice. I see you interpreted what I said to imply that Israel has to strike first? I like how you said SHOULD be the interest of Egyptians....I agree that they SHOULD be. Your optimism is good at least.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
So you think Egypt has no plans of attacking?
You really should follow the news more closely. Egypt after the Arab spring declared its commitment to the peace treaty with Israel.
Nice. I see you interpreted what I said to imply that Israel has to strike first?
I interpret your comment as making no sense, no contribution to a discussion, and worst of all offensive to Jews themselves as you project badly on the rest of us.
if you wanted to paint the Muslim brotherhood as crazy fanatics, you only did this service to yourself and by association to Jewish members.

Shermana

Heretic
You really should follow the news more closely. Egypt after the Arab spring declared its commitment to the peace treaty with Israel.

I interpret your comment as making no sense, no contribution to a discussion, and worst of all offensive to Jews themselves as you project badly on the rest of us.
if you wanted to paint the Muslim brotherhood as crazy fanatics, you only did this service to yourself and by association to Jewish members.

So I'm bad because I think Israel should be getting ready for a war bigger than anything they've experienced before? You're welcome to your optimistic opinion that everything's gonna stay as is. But I think you calling me offensive to Jews themselves is a bit rude.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

All Egyptians were "persecuted" and abused for decades, but it's not necessarily based on belief or religion. You could get into jail and be tortured brutally for criticizing the regime, spreading public awareness, and even for something as simple as getting into a fight with a police officer.

The Muslim Brotherhood also has a history of philanthropist and charity works, which is why they're generally more popular with the people than their peers.

The military police has also brutally cracked down the peaceful protests of Muslims:

Ahram Online said:
An Ahram Online reporter later said the police forces suddenly withdrew from Tahrir as some 200 protesters managed to return to the central island.

Shortly after, six CSF blue vans were stoned as they left the Ministry of Interior’s headquarters and through Tahrir by the angry protesters, who are still adamant to occupy the central island.

It is the second time for Tahrir Square to see a sit-in forcibly dispersed.

The first one was on 1 August when military police attacked and injured a number of the protesters who were camping out in protest in the iconic Tahrir Square.

Full article here.

Police brutality in Egypt has been mainly associated with the authoritarian regime and police state established and reinforced over more than a three-decade span, rather than religious grounds.

Israel may need to invest in wide-spread carpet bombers...like B52s...

Israel has nuclear weaponry, the support and backing of the Pentagon, and modern American armor, while Egypt is in political and economical turmoil. Who do you think should be worried more?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Israel has nuclear weaponry, the support and backing of the Pentagon, and modern American armor, while Egypt is in political and economical turmoil. Who do you think should be worried more?

I have noticed that the most aggressive/most armed person is generally the one most fearful of being attacked.