• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"MISSISSIPPI: 46% Of Polled Republicans Would Make Interracial Marriage Illegal"

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
The pollsters apparently didn't poll Democrats or Independents in Mississippi, but instead only focused their implications of racism on the GOP. That's an obvious bias.

BadBeast

The Poll means nothing. Look at the Demographic polled. Rural Mississippi isn't exactly well known for it's activist political stance, or it's progressive social attitudes. You could probably have come up with a similar statistic if the question had addressed inter-species marriage. The way that this Poll has been picked up by the mainstream American Media, like it had any significance at all, is only indicative of the Press's estimation of the general intelligence of the American Public.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
I really don't think a sample of Mississippi Republicans being racist is either really much of a surprise or a significant statistic. Without Democrats from the same area to use as a control group, we can't say that Republicans are more racist than anyone else (it's not like this is really a question anyway, but if you're going to try and prove it with a poll, at least do it scientifically).

Civil Shephard

The pollsters apparently didn't poll Democrats or Independents in Mississippi, but instead only focused their implications of racism on the GOP. That's an obvious bias.

I'll give you that... it was a telephone poll and if you target certain area's you can get expected results. I've met many non-racist Republicans... it's does look like a case of targeting extremist. I wonder what a wider poll would come up with.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

So? What I got from the OP was "a big group of people in a particular state would make interracial marriage illegal, if they could". Whether it's democrats or republicans doesn't really matter. The fact that that high a percentage of any group you polled answered that way is sad.

It may well be that a similar percentage of democrats in Mississippi would respond the same way, but to me, that's not the point.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Even if they chose not to poll Democrats or Independents such a decision does not amount to bias. It might have been if they took their findings about Republicans and then compared them in some way with Democrats or Independents, but they didn't. They simply said in effect, "this is what Republicans feel about interracial marriage," just as if they had polled Sephardic Jews and reported, "self-identified Sephardic Jews believe in global warming." Going to claim such a finding is biased because they didn't ask and report what independent fundamentalist Baptists think about global warming? Pollsters can select whatever population they wish: all encompassing or very qualified. What matters is how they report their findings. In this case absolutely nothing was said or even hinted at about those with other political affiliations. Don't like it that Mississippi Republicans come off looking like dolts? Then blame them, not the pollsters.

Could Mississippi Democrats and independents be just as stupid? Possibly, possibly not. Personally, I would like to see how they would have responded. But even if they did respond in the same way it would do nothing to amend the Republican's idiocy.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Skwim said:
But even if they didn't respond in the same way it would do nothing to amend the Republican's idiocy.
Unless everyone down there responded the same way, then the Republicans themselves would be off the hook and instead all focus would shift to the entirety or Rural Mississippi.
Please note that I've corrected my typo: "didn't" was supposed to be "did."

If what you do is wrong, you don't get "off the hook" just because others do the same.

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
So? What I got from the OP was "a big group of people in a particular state would make interracial marriage illegal, if they could". Whether it's democrats or republicans doesn't really matter. The fact that that high a percentage of any group you polled answered that way is sad.
Yes it is.

It may well be that a similar percentage of democrats in Mississippi would respond the same way, but to me, that's not the point.
I think the point is to demonise Republicans not a small group of Mississippians. Similar attempts have targeted the TEA party.

Kathryn

I never said that rural Mississippian Republicans aren't racist in general. In fact, they probably are.

I would also bet that rural Mississipian Independents and Democrats are as well. Mississippi is a weird state - and one of few Southern states that I can proudly say I have never lived in (though I have traversed it often, having lived in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas.

Yee haw!

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I think the point is to demonise Republicans not a small group of Mississippians. Similar attempts have targeted the TEA party.

Well, I'm glad you know the point of the OP better than the writer of the OP. Can you teach me those psychic skills?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think he's focusing on the underlying motives behind the statements made.
Skwim is a scamp......a Skwimp or a Skwamp?
He hints at criticism without actually dispensing it.
He stirs the pot, while remaining above the fray.
And he is just too darn pleasant to call a troll.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I'm sure he is, which is why I said he needs to teach me his psychic skills.

If I started a thread where only Democrats where polled and gave cause to shed a bigoted light upon the select group and then pretended it to be the norm, you would be foaming at the mouth mball not a budding physic. :slap:

Some things are obvious to just about everyone but you it would seem.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
If I started a thread where only Democrats where polled and gave cause to shed a bigoted light upon the select group and then pretended it to be the norm, you would be foaming at the mouth mball not a budding physic. :slap:

Indulging in a bit of projection of sorts I see. Interesting. ;)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's not hard to find many instances where bigotry has been tolerated by the Republicans. The party is mostly over-run with homophobes, racists, anti-immigrants, and even some cases where religions other than Christianity is condemned. You will find it in the Democratic party no doubts, but you wont find it any were close to the same scale. Bush Sr. said atheist are not citizens, the Tea Party was flooded with racist signs, Arizona anti-immigrant hate laws are championed in many states, and the number of Republicans that want to ban gay marriage far outnumber the Democrats that want to.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
It's not hard to find many instances where bigotry has been tolerated by the Republicans. The party is mostly over-run with homophobes, racists, anti-immigrants, and even some cases where religions other than Christianity is condemned. You will find it in the Democratic party no doubts, but you wont find it any were close to the same scale. Bush Sr. said atheist are not citizens, the Tea Party was flooded with racist signs, Arizona anti-immigrant hate laws are championed in many states, and the number of Republicans that want to ban gay marriage far outnumber the Democrats that want to.

Shadow, you always debate logically and I respect that. You will always note that any time someone tries to defend an accusation of racism it appears on the surface to have the opposite effect.

Here are some facts:

The head of the Republican party was black.
The last two Republican Secretaries of state where black.
We had a Gay Republican group join and participate in the last convention.

Personally, I love Hispanic people, but I want our borders locked down and people documented. Once this has happened, I'm ready to give our hard working, family oriented friends from the south citizenship.

Doing what we are currently doing is wrong. Undocumented citizens do not have drivers licences or car insurance. They are not receiving benefits or the correct rate of pay they should because of their status.

Yes, we Republican Tea Partiers have a different vision for America and believe we have solutions to our problems.

We do not however deserve to be judged as racist and homophobes just because a fringe may be guilty of this.

This Liberal tactic to demonise their opponent is effective at swaying votes but is not truthful.

Kathryn

Have you spent much time in Mississippi? If you have, surely you noticed that racism doesn't adhere to any particular party lines, but rather is rampant in that state. In fact, African Americans are at least as racist as any other group there (just an aside note).

As for this claim,

the Tea Party was flooded with racist signs

This has pretty much been proven to be inaccurate. Out of the thousands of Tea Party events, there was actually very little signage that was racist. Sure you will be able to google this and find a few examples, but do you really want to start comparing radical, hate-mongering signage at political events? Other political parties and groups will come up smelling pretty badly - just want to warn you. Also, many of the Tea Party events were attended by those who were opposed to the movement and who brought signage that was intentionally racist and inflammatory in order to discredit the event and movement. I'm sure that's happened at many other sorts of political gatherings as well - it's a fairly common tactic, though a dirty one.

Arizona anti-immigrant hate laws are championed in many states

I believe you may mean "Arizona immigration laws" - Arizona and other border states are not opposed to legal immigration.

I live in Texas. As a Texan and proud grandmother of Hispanic grandchildren, whose father and his family are here LEGALLY, I too am opposed to illegal immigration. It is a huge problem in border states, and costs the states millions and millions of tax dollars to address. Being opposed to illegal immigration is not racist.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When people get all fired up to pick sides in a political fight, it can get so polarizing that objectivity is the first casualty. They see their allies as good,
& overlook their faults, while seeing their opposition as evil & overlook the good. The parties contribute with simplistic carping & cheer leading.
The various media contribute by providing comforting reinforcement & havens of hatred of the other guy. Your overblown charge of racism in the
Tea Party is to accept a deliberate & deceptive strategy (as Mary Frances Berry even admitted in 2010). Your need to see them as dangerously extreme
is a manipulated one....example: http://politisite.com/2011/04/05/schumer-on-conferance-call-%E2%80%9Ci-always-use-extreme-that-is-what-the-caucus-instructed-me-to-use-when-referring-to-the-republican-budget/

From the outside looking in....Dems & Repubs have so much in common (bigotry, big gov't, foreign adventurism, crony capitalism, constitutional ignorance),
yet each imagines that the other is Satan's spawn. It serves no one to maintain such baseless animosity. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to disagree
over issues & policy. I admonish you to try to understand the other side, rather than falsely demonize them.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
If I started a thread where only Democrats where polled and gave cause to shed a bigoted light upon the select group and then pretended it to be the norm, you would be foaming at the mouth, mball, not a budding physic. :slap:

Why would I be foaming at the mouth? I'd be saying "Wow, that's sad". I might also add that it's even sadder considering I'm sure if you polled the republicans in the area, the numbers would be even worse, but I'd hardly be foaming at the mouth. As I said, it's quite possible that the democrats in Mississippi are just as bad or almost as bad as the republicans regarding racism. The point here isn't about republicans/democrats; it's that a high percentage of people in Mississippi support making interracial marriage illegal.

Yes, some things are obvious to those like you who see everything said about republicans as a biased insult. It's not as obvious to me simply because I'm not a republican who sees biased insults in everything bad said about my group. I'm an objective observer.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Ah, speak the truth, and they flock try to defend republicans. Works every time.

They see their allies as good,
& overlook their faults, while seeing their opposition as evil & overlook the good.

Where did you see this happen here? The post you were responding to certainly didn't. It didn't even come close. I'd sure like to see an actual example of this wild claim of yours.

The parties contribute with simplistic carping & cheer leading.
There's no doubt about that. In general politics has become a sport with two teams. However, you're doing exactly what you're accusing others of. The post you're responding to didn't exhibit signs of falling for this.

Your overblown charge of racism in the Tea Party is to accept a deliberate & deceptive strategy (as Mary Frances Berry even admitted in 2010). Your need to see them as dangerously extreme
is a manipulated one....example: http://politisite.com/2011/04/05/schumer-on-conferance-call-%E2%80%9Ci-always-use-extreme-that-is-what-the-caucus-instructed-me-to-use-when-referring-to-the-republican-budget/
Um...yeah...so, you're honestly going to pretend that the Tea Party isn't extreme? Did you happen to notice the Tea Party candidates in the last elections? Did you happen to see what the Tea Party candidates are doing and trying to do in the states where they won the election? I understand that you identify with them, and don't want to see them as bad as they really are, but all you're doing here is what you decried above.

From the outside looking in....Dems & Repubs have so much in common (bigotry, big gov't, foreign adventurism, crony capitalism, constitutional ignorance),
yet each imagines that the other is Satan's spawn. It serves no one to maintain such baseless animosity. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to disagree
over issues & policy. I admonish you to try to understand the other side, rather than falsely demonize them.
Look, the fact is neither party is doing much good right now. Politics is more about, as you say, cheerleading. Most politicians are more interested in doing whatever keeps their jobs or gets them better jobs. That's obvious. However, noting that republicans in general are more racist, homophobic and bigoted than democrats is just noting another fact. It's not saying that democrats are perfect; just that they're better in general in certain ways.

Think of it this way:

My team just missed the playoffs, while yours ended up last in the league. If I say "Man, your team blows. You can't score goals or keep them out of your own net.", I'm not saying "My tea is awesome, and there's nothing wrong with them". My team might not be much better off than yours, but I can acknowledge how much worse your team is while also acknowledging the faults with my own team.