• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"MISSISSIPPI: 46% Of Polled Republicans Would Make Interracial Marriage Illegal"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ah, speak the truth, and they flock try to defend republicans. Works every time.
Where did you see this happen here? The post you were responding to certainly didn't. It didn't even come close. I'd sure like to see an actual example of this wild claim of yours.
There's no doubt about that. In general politics has become a sport with two teams. However, you're doing exactly what you're accusing others of. The post you're responding to didn't exhibit signs of falling for this.
Um...yeah...so, you're honestly going to pretend that the Tea Party isn't extreme? Did you happen to notice the Tea Party candidates in the last elections? Did you happen to see what the Tea Party candidates are doing and trying to do in the states where they won the election? I understand that you identify with them, and don't want to see them as bad as they really are, but all you're doing here is what you decried above.
Look, the fact is neither party is doing much good right now. Politics is more about, as you say, cheerleading. Most politicians are more interested in doing whatever keeps their jobs or gets them better jobs. That's obvious. However, noting that republicans in general are more racist, homophobic and bigoted than democrats is just noting another fact. It's not saying that democrats are perfect; just that they're better in general in certain ways.
Think of it this way:
My team just missed the playoffs, while yours ended up last in the league. If I say "Man, your team blows. You can't score goals or keep them out of your own net.", I'm not saying "My tea is awesome, and there's nothing wrong with them". My team might not be much better off than yours, but I can acknowledge how much worse your team is while also acknowledging the faults with my own team.
So much Kool-Aid quaffed in Smurphland....so little worth responding to.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
So much Kool-Aid quaffed in Smurphland....so little worth responding to.

In other words, "Well, you got me; I don't really have a good response for that, so I'm going to pretend that it's not worth responding to". Got it. Why am I not surprised?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In other words, "Well, you got me; I don't really have a good response for that, so I'm going to pretend that it's not worth responding to". Got it. Why am I not surprised?
Good idea....declare victory & waste no more time on me.

A

angellous_evangellous

So the whole point of this thread is that the evil, racist, homophobic, greedy, stupid poopie head Republicans should all be rounded up and harvested for grain?

No. What they need is an enlightenment from within.

Right now no one on the outside can convince them from implementing the exact policies that created the environment needed for our economic and foreign policy mess. Even now they are trying to enact the same deregulation of banks and tax breaks for corporations as they did when Bush was in power.

We need a visionary Republican to turn the party around - because God knows that failure, no matter how devestating can convince the Republicans to change their fundamental viewpoint.

So no, don't harvest them. Take advantage of their obstinate stupidity and use one of their own to convert them to Democrats.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No. What they need is an enlightenment from within.
Right now no one on the outside can convince them from implementing the exact policies that created the environment needed for our economic and foreign policy mess. Even now they are trying to enact the same deregulation of banks and tax breaks for corporations as they did when Bush was in power.
You miss the root causes of the financial collapse, all of which were bi-partisan.
- Expanding the money supply faster than economic growth causes inflation.
- Inflation encourages investment in hard assets to protect wealth.
- Government created lending institutions which offer low interest rates & down payments encourage aggressive borrowing.
- Government regulation which requires banks to lend in formerly red lined areas increases lending to riskier borrowers.
People were just doing what the gov't encouraged them to do....borrow, borrow & borrow. Get a little hiccup in the economy, as started in 2001, &
before you know it, many people have under water real estate.. Blame both Democrats & Republicans for ignoring warnings.....except for Ron Paul.
He warned'm. Then they can't relocate for a job cuz they can't sell their house for enuf to pay off the loan. Commercial real estate collapses cuz loan
payments can't be made due to poorer tenants, increasing property taxes, & banks not renewing loans.

Now we're facing massive debt to bail out banks who won't lend the money given them & stimulus which hasn't worked at all. Taxes must go up, &
benefits must be cut to pay for it all, lest the US become insolvent. Dems & Repubs argue viciously over a measly $38B budget cutback, when the
deficit is more than that for just 1 week. Now, that fits my idea of "extreme" politics. It seems that Tea Partiers & Libertarians are the only ones
who aren't completely crazy

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Good idea....declare victory & waste no more time on me.

Well, I'd rather you just realize the errors in your post, but I understand there's not much chance of that, and that I'll have to repeat what I've told you here in some other thread later.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
- Government created lending institutions which offer low interest rates & down payments encourage aggressive borrowing.
- Government regulation which requires banks to lend in formerly red lined areas increases lending to riskier borrowers.

It seems you missed the real root causes:

- Deregulation of mortgages-loaning.
- Greed of the banks and Wall Street.

Your "root causes" didn't cause anything, but nice try.

People were just doing what the gov't encouraged them to do....borrow, borrow & borrow.

Oops, sorry, but no. The government encourages buying houses, but only if you can afford it. You'll notice that Fannie and Freddie didn't back most of the bad loans given out because they didn't meet their requirements. In fact, during the housing boom, the FMs' activity actually dropped way off (as in it halved). I know the whole "this was caused by regulations to get poorer people into houses" sounds great because it allows you to blame it on government and "liberal" policies, but it's simply not the truth. The truth is people were doing just what the banks were encouraging them to do...borrow, borrow and borrow, and then the banks bet on the mortgages and sold them in packages to make a quick buck. Then things got way out of hand and ended up blowing up even for those trying to make a quick buck.

stimulus which hasn't worked at all.

I knew you were far gone, but not that far. You can argue that the stimulus didn't work enough or wasn't worth it, but it's simply wrong to claim it didn't work at all.

Dems & Repubs argue viciously over a measly $38B budget cutback, when the
deficit is more than that for just 1 week.

On that we agree. There's no doubt our government isn't working well at all.

Now, that fits my idea of "extreme" politics. It seems that Tea Partiers & Libertarians are the only oneswho aren't completely crazy

Hmmm...isn't that kind of like the schizophrenic saying "It seems that guy's not crazy"? I'm sure it seems that way to you, but in reality, the Tea Partiers are still the crazy ones (along with many republicans and democrats in office).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It seems you missed the real root causes:
- Deregulation of mortgages-loaning.
- Greed of the banks and Wall Street.
Your "root causes" didn't cause anything, but nice try.
Oops, sorry, but no. The government encourages buying houses, but only if you can afford it. You'll notice that Fannie and Freddie didn't back most of the bad loans given out because they didn't meet their requirements. In fact, during the housing boom, the FMs' activity actually dropped way off (as in it halved). I know the whole "this was caused by regulations to get poorer people into houses" sounds great because it allows you to blame it on government and "liberal" policies, but it's simply not the truth. The truth is people were doing just what the banks were encouraging them to do...borrow, borrow and borrow, and then the banks bet on the mortgages and sold them in packages to make a quick buck. Then things got way out of hand and ended up blowing up even for those trying to make a quick buck.
I knew you were far gone, but not that far. You can argue that the stimulus didn't work enough or wasn't worth it, but it's simply wrong to claim it didn't work at all.
On that we agree. There's no doubt our government isn't working well at all.
Hmmm...isn't that kind of like the schizophrenic saying "It seems that guy's not crazy"? I'm sure it seems that way to you, but in reality, the Tea Partiers are still the crazy ones (along with many republicans and democrats in office).
Shouldn't you get back to supersizing orders?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Personally, I love Hispanic people, but I want our borders locked down and people documented. Once this has happened, I'm ready to give our hard working, family oriented friends from the south citizenship.
That is why I said the party is mostly over run. I do know some Republicans who are good people. But especially in politics, the Republicans over overwhelmingly favor legislation that can only be described as discriminate and hateful, and there are only a handful of them. And as a group they didn't fair that well at all this last November. And my question is this; if this is only a fringe group of the Republicans, then how do they win primaries? Yes there are gays and blacks within the Republican party, but they are showing to have little influence.

I believe you may mean "Arizona immigration laws" - Arizona and other border states are not opposed to legal immigration.
No, I meant anti-immigration hate laws. It is getting so bad that here in Indiana they want it so that English is the only legal language that can be spoken in government buildings. Now of course if this is passed it will not hold in the Supreme Court because the United States does not have an official language. And it is hard to justify it when the Canadian border is practically ignored. We do need higher security at the Mexican border due to the drug cartels, but Canada isn't exempt from the issues either. Actually, there are more illegal immigrants from Canada than Mexico, but you don't see the northern border states fighting to keep them out do you?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, I meant anti-immigration hate laws. It is getting so bad that here in Indiana they want it so that English is the only legal language that can be spoken in government buildings.
I see good reasons to have a single standard language for government & law.
On what basis do you say that it's based upon hate.

Now of course if this is passed it will not hold in the Supreme Court because the United States does not have an official language. And it is hard to justify it when the Canadian border is practically ignored.
Ignored? I'm done crossing that border because it's so difficult. Certainly, having a truck with an enclosed body on back causes
problems, but the last time was the last straw, as my wife & friends watched me stand with my arms apart with an M16 pointed
at me while they searched it & demanded I identify my tools inside. Btw, the problems are always with the Americans...Canadians
never give me a lick of trouble.

We do need higher security at the Mexican border due to the drug cartels, but Canada isn't exempt from the issues either. Actually, there are more illegal immigrants from Canada than Mexico, but you don't see the northern border states fighting to keep them out do you?
Source for your claims?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Shouldn't you get back to supersizing orders?

Really? That's the best I can expect? At least if you're going to insult me instead of responding to my perfectly legitimate arguments that you happen to dislike because they shoot holes all through your arguments, you could at least come up with a better insult, especially considering how many years you've been around to learn some.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Really? That's the best I can expect? At least if you're going to insult me instead of responding to my perfectly legitimate arguments that you happen to dislike because they shoot holes all through your arguments, you could at least come up with a better insult, especially considering how many years you've been around to learn some.
I keep advising you to not waste your pontificating on me.
You just don't learn that I'm not gonna learn.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I keep advising you to not waste your pontificating on me.
You just don't learn that I'm not gonna learn.

Here's how this goes. You say something wrong. I correct you. You try this self-deprecating nonsense to avoid actually responding to valid arguments against your claims.

I already understand you're not going to learn, but I'm going to keep correcting you anyway. It may not get through to you, but hopefully it'll give others the correct information. You're welcome to choose to continue your ridiculous ways of avoiding facts.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Source for your claims?
I will admit, my source
More US illegal immigrants enter through Canada than Mexico | Canada Updates
seems to be outnumbered. However the focus of illegal immigration is always on Mexico, illegal immigrants are Mexican, and Mexico is a very violent and economically broke country.

I see good reasons to have a single standard language for government & law.
On what basis do you say that it's based upon hate.
For starters the federal government does not define an official language. Second we already have translators and I can see no real reason to just get rid of them because you don't want to learn another language, even though speaking more than one language adds to your worth on the job market and is perceived as a trait of intelligence. Especially when that language is as easy to learn as Spanish (which is the only other language that is spoken around here.)
IMHO, such laws are the supporters way of saying "I am refusing to learn you language because I don't think you belong here."
And honestly, what many Mexicans are wanting to escape is much of what any of our ancestors were wanting to escape. But really I'm not worried. Things will gradually improve for Mexicans, and they will be embraced as normal members of society. The Chinese, Irish, Catholics, and other groups have all been through the same discrimination the Mexicans are facing today. But today no one gives anyone of these groups, or their descendants that show their heritage, even a second look.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For starters the federal government does not define an official language. Second we already have translators and I can see no real reason to just get rid of them because you don't want to learn another language, even though speaking more than one language adds to your worth on the job market and is perceived as a trait of intelligence. Especially when that language is as easy to learn as Spanish (which is the only other language that is spoken around here.)
IMHO, such laws are the supporters way of saying "I am refusing to learn you language because I don't think you belong here."

Are you arguing that it is wrong for me to refuse to learn Spanish, but that there is no obligation for immigrants to learn English? To translate laws
from English into a myriad of other languages would inevitably mean that different meanings would be often found. To carefully word & enforce my
contracts & leases in court is tricky enuf already. Would courts have to have a translator for every language from Ackack to Zulu? It you want to learn
a foreign language to feel intelligent, that's fine with me, but let's not impose that burden on anyone else. Besides, your plan wouldn't be limited to
just Spanish...we'd have Urdu, German, French, Portuguese, Beijing Hua, Guan Dong Hua....& maybe even Canadian (horror of horrors!).
Btw, my Canuck friends tell me that their bi-lingual system blows goats.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Here's how this goes. You say something wrong. I correct you. You try this self-deprecating nonsense to avoid actually responding to valid arguments against your claims.
I already understand you're not going to learn, but I'm going to keep correcting you anyway. It may not get through to you, but hopefully it'll give others the correct information. You're welcome to choose to continue your ridiculous ways of avoiding facts.
Self-deprecation is so much more pleasant than explaining all your intellectual shortcomings to you.
That's why I'm not going there. Do all Smurphs think their unsupported delusions are facts?

Last edited: