• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Message to climate change alarmists. Stop ExaGGERATing!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And stop behaving as though you don't care or believe AGW is real.
You! Celebrities & politicians!

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why Everything They Say About Climate Change Is Wrong

If people want to be taken seriously, don't keep exaggerating about the proverbial end of civilization as we know it.

And yes, climate change has been exaggerated more than once.
I do think many are going to far in their review of the situation when it comes to climate change. But the thing is that if humans can not change the way we do things especially with the use of Oil we do keep producing too much Co2, And yes there is natural Co2 in nature. But it is the excess or overproduction of Co2 that is the big problem. Nature can only handle so much, and when it becomes more than nature can handle, this then becomes the pollution we see today. The experts say we have between 12-20 years max 25 years to get the turnaround before we do permanent damage to nature, meaning if we go over that limit nature will never be able to go back to the original state it was.

But yes there are people who do predict the downfall of human beings to be just around the corner, personally, i think we can change it and the catastrophe is not that bad, yet

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I do think many are going to far in their review of the situation when it comes to climate change. But the thing is that if humans can not change the way we do things especially with the use of Oil we do keep producing too much Co2, And yes there is natural Co2 in nature. But it is the excess or overproduction of Co2 that is the big problem. Nature can only handle so much, and when it becomes more than nature can handle, this then becomes the pollution we see today. The experts say we have between 12-20 years max 25 years to get the turnaround before we do permanent damage to nature, meaning if we go over that limit nature will never be able to go back to the original state it was.

But yes there are people who do predict the downfall of human beings to be just around the corner, personally, i think we can change it and the catastrophe is not that bad, yet
I keep thinking of past Extinction events and obviously life still flourished no matter what.

In that vein , I kind of wonder what people would think would be that exact particular point of no return? Nobody's been able to clearly specify it so far. A certain temperature?
A certain level of CO2?

People need solid evidence. Not exaggerated opinions that simply are not true down the road.

Laika

Premium Member

If people want to be taken seriously, don't keep exaggerating about the proverbial end of civilization as we know it.

The main thing to take away from the article is that there are multiple causes for environmental degradation which are interacting with each other. This often gets lost in the "popular science" we see in the news and journalism which focuses on having greater emotional impact to increase ratings, views and sales. Reducing things down to a single cause and simplifying the inter-relationships to make a story more spectacular and gripping is good "entertainment" but bad science, if not actually being bad journalism. Many of the sensationalist headlines do come at the expense of scientific literacy and recognising the uncertainties in these models which scientists take for granted.

I'm definitely in the more "alarmist" end of the spectrum and I am deeply worried that "apocalyptic" events may occur within my lifetime, but it is admittedly hard to differentiate between news stories presented as science and the actual science itself. It is however "counter-productive" because the fear becomes more overwhelming and effectively more important than the solutions we'd need to address the problem.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I keep thinking of past Extinction events and obviously life still flourished no matter what.

In that vein , I kind of wonder what people would think would be that exact particular point of no return? Nobody's been able to clearly specify it so far. A certain temperature?
A certain level of CO2?

People need solid evidence. Not exaggerated opinions that simply are not true down the road.
True.
Yes, i do not think the scientists know for sure, but they base it out of calculations. of particle pr square meter or something like that (as you know, I am not that into science)
And about the temperature, yes they do say something about a certain temperature will make it difficult to get it back to "normal" But the question is. What is Normal?

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

It's a good point that exaggeration is harmful, like the boy who cried wolf more than once so that people ignored later when a real wolf attacked.

For those wanting real information, here's a good site (link below) that simply has summaries of ongoing observations and findings by people in the field.

Zero exaggeration. Hear straight from research scientists, without politics or spin --

https://phys.org/earth-news/

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The problem is that people do not react to the real and very severe threats about climate change. The worst of them will not even affect their children. It is not until one's grandchildren come along that they are apt to face the worst of these threats. And if we wait until then it will be far too late.

What would you propose instead? How do you want to deal with this very real problem?

exchemist

Veteran Member

The problem is that this is like insuring against fire. We can all argue about the probability of a disastrous fire, but few people decide not to take out fire insurance.

Estimates of sea level rise vary according to the scenario. However I heard on the radio just today that the last time the planet had as much atmospheric CO2 in it as today was 3m yrs ago when the sea level was 10m higher than today. Obviously the rise in CO2 is far faster today than in previous eras, so we cannot expect to be anywhere near an equilibrium state.

From this is obviously likely that the eventual effects of the change that has already occurred will unwind over a long time. So some insurance seems sensible.

I have never come across anyone predicting the end of civilisation as we know it. What I have heard, today, from the ex- Government Chief Scientist, Prof Sir David King, is that there is a non-zero risk that by the end of the century we might have to move London and Calcutta, to name two large low-lying cities. We can all argue about whether the risk is 5% or 10%, or 2%. If there was a 2% risk of your house burning down in the next twenty years, I think you would take out insurance on it.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The problem is that people do not react to the real and very severe threats about climate change. The worst of them will not even affect their children. It is not until one's grandchildren come along that they are apt to face the worst of these threats. And if we wait until then it will be far too late.

What would you propose instead? How do you want to deal with this very real problem?

And you know this to be true how?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
We're apparently making progress having gone from "it's a myth" to it's not as bad as the most extreme alarmists paint it. Hopefully the next step is to start talking about practical (and often profitable) ways of mitigating the rise of greenhouse gasses.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
We're apparently making progress having gone from "it's a myth" to it's not as bad as the most extreme alarmists paint it. Hopefully the next step is to start talking about practical (and often profitable) ways of mitigating the rise of greenhouse gasses.

There always was a range in predictions. Right now I hear that it is a bit worse than the medium of all predictions, not as bad as the most dire and of course not as good as the most generous.