• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe internet forums are not the best way to spread spirituality?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This is a question i been asking my self in the last months, so maybe internet forums is not the best way to give spiritual guidance? or maybe because there are so many different teachings that come in contact with each other that the true meaning of each spiritual teaching get a bit lost? ¨

Would you say forums could lead to more misunderstandings then to a good spiritual understanding, because of the differences in understanding of the original teaching, and when someone who has not a clear understanding of the teaching, try to use their own words as if it was the true teaching, could lead to confusion.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
This is a question i been asking my self in the last months, so maybe internet forums is not the best way to give spiritual guidance? or maybe because there are so many different teachings that come in contact with each other that the true meaning of each spiritual teaching get a bit lost? ¨

Would you say forums could lead to more misunderstandings then to a good spiritual understanding, because of the differences in understanding of the original teaching, and when someone who has not a clear understanding of the teaching, try to use their own words as if it was the true teaching, could lead to confusion.

Don't use the Internet to only spread your version, compare it to other versions and IMHO learn basic skepticism, honesty and being humble about the worth of your version.
I know, I am not good at live up to what I "preach" myself, but I am still learning. :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Don't use the Internet to only spread your version, compare it to other versions and IMHO learn basic skepticism, honesty and being humble about the worth of your version.
I know, I am not good at live up to what I "preach" myself, but I am still learning. :)
I would say that my understanding of Falun Gong at this moment is far from how it actually is meant to be thought, and this is why I can not teach others Falun Gong, only our teacher Li Hongzhi are able to teach it, all of those who follow are students of Li Hongzhi and Falun Gong, there is only one teacher within this cultivation path :) But i can explain my understanding of the teaching, as long i make it clear that it is not the true teaching, only what i have understood of it. :) I think that this is why some people would argue strongly against my words and what they can find with in the true teaching book Zhuan falun

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a question i been asking my self in the last months, so maybe internet forums is not the best way to give spiritual guidance? or maybe because there are so many different teachings that come in contact with each other that the true meaning of each spiritual teaching get a bit lost?

Concerning the question in the title, why would someone set out to "spread spirituality?" Why would there be a need to "give spiritual guidance?"

Why offer that which hasn't been solicited? Why can't people just let others be?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Concerning the question in the title, why would someone set out to "spread spirituality?" Why would there be a need to "give spiritual guidance?"

Why offer that which hasn't been solicited? Why can't people just let others be?
I was waiting for this reaction :) To discuss religious or spiritual topics are important within same faith/path one have chosen to follow, But it seems like when we try to come together from all walk of life and try to speak about what we believe in or follow, it becomes tense because we do not wish to listen to what others doing. So instead of having a wonderful place to speak about spirituality it ends up as a place where people can blame others or religions for what is bad in the world. In a group from our own spiritual path this seldom happens because for the most part we agree. So even if we want to speak the truth in forum, someone else will see the truth differently and not understand that maybe we both see the same truth, but from different level of understanding(our own understanding of the truth.) then we become upset when others say you are wrong, and the ball starts to move toward a discussion that only can lead to more anger and frustration. No human being see the full truth of our existence (in my understanding)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

They are the best place to challenge one's beliefs, so probably a reason why not that many actually contribute. Who wants to feel threatened for much of the time?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
They are the best place to challenge one's beliefs, so probably a reason why not that many actually contribute.
The teaching in it self is the challenge to understand the way i see it. for someone from a different spiritual teaching to correct others may not lead toward more truth. I know because i tried that path too before, and i failed :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I was waiting for this reaction :) To discuss religious or spiritual topics are important within same faith/path one have chosen to follow, But it seems like when we try to come together from all walk of life and try to speak about what we believe in or follow, it becomes tense because we do not wish to listen to what others doing. So instead of having a wonderful place to speak about spirituality it ends up as a place where people can blame others or religions for what is bad in the world. In a group from our own spiritual path this seldom happens because for the most part we agree. So even if we want to speak the truth in forum, someone else will see the truth differently and not understand that maybe we both see the same truth, but from different level of understanding(our own understanding of the truth.) then we become upset when others say you are wrong, and the ball starts to move toward a discussion that only can lead to more anger and frustration. No human being see the full truth of our existence (in my understanding)

You are talking about discussing religious or spiritual topic here, not "spreading spirituality." Was the title clickbait intended to incite such a reaction?

But I digress. Despite the occasional feces flinging, I've found discussion spirituality and religion on the internet quite useful and educational. Coupled with the few people around me IRL that share similar views to mine, I quite enjoy such internet discussions.

Are there those that use the internet as a means to promote their religious agenda? Sure. But they are easily ignored (or moderated ;)).

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You are talking about discussing religious or spiritual topic here, not "spreading spirituality." Was the title clickbait intended to incite such a reaction?

But I digress. Despite the occasional feces flinging, I've found discussion spirituality and religion on the internet quite useful and educational. Coupled with the few people around me IRL that share similar views to mine, I quite enjoy such internet discussions.

Are there those that use the internet as a means to promote their religious agenda? Sure. But they are easily ignored (or moderated ;)).
My reason to start the OP was to say I wish spreading of spiritual teaching should be allowed on forums, but it is not and if someone tries they get as you say "shut down" fast. And the reason i put the tittle of this thread to be"maybe internet forums are not the right way to spread spirituality" Is because those of us who think it is right to spread a good way to become more spiritually get shut down and left in the dirt to rot. Spreading the teaching is actually a part of many spiritual teachings/religions

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
My reason to start the OP was to say I wish spreading of spiritual teaching should be allowed on forums, but it is not and if someone tries they get as you say "shut down" fast. And the reason i put the tittle of this thread to be"maybe internet forums are not the right way to spread spirituality" Is because those of us who think it is right to spread a good way to become more spiritually get shut down and left in the dirt to rot. Spreading the teaching is actually a part of many spiritual teachings/religions

I respectfully disagree. Since this isn't a debate forum, I'm just going to put this out there and leave it at that.

As I see it, unless one has mastered their own path, one should not be offering advice to others. Even if one has mastered his/her path, one shouldn't offer up anything unless asked.

I think if one was truly in bliss and has transcended suffering, others would recognize this, and if they wished the same for themselves, would approach such and individual and say, "Teach me."

I don't think it should ever be the other way around. There are those that are attached to avidya and duhkha for their own reasons. Who am I to tell them they shouldn't be?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I respectfully disagree.

As I see it, unless one has mastered their own path, one should not be offering advice to others. Even if one has mastered his/her path, one shouldn't offer up anything unless asked.

I think if one was truly in bliss and has transcended suffering, others would recognize this, and if they wished the same for themselves, would approach such and individual and say, "Teach me."

I don't think it should ever be the other way around. There are those that are attached to avidya and duhkha for their own reasons. Who am I to tell them they shouldn't be?
If i am to speak freely in RF from now about Falun Gong it would be needed a Dir, i tried a few open discussions and been open to answer question, but there is always someone who will try to pull it down or come with incorrect information. and since Falun Gong is not a religion but a cultivation path where only our teacher is allowed to hold teachings, a dir would help us to be able to give links and direction within the falun gong teaching without someone trying to make it seem as a evil path. But yes in the free open discussion part of RF I am of course willing to take some heat for what i saying. :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If i am to speak freely in RF from now about Falun Gong it would be needed a Dir, i tried a few open discussions and been open to answer question, but there is always someone who will try to pull it down or come with incorrect information. and since Falun Gong is not a religion but a cultivation path where only our teacher is allowed to hold teachings, a dir would help us to be able to give links and direction within the falun gong teaching without someone trying to make it seem as a evil path. But yes in the free open discussion part of RF I am of course willing to take some heat for what i saying. :)

I'm not sure who "us" might be, as you are the only Falun Gong member I'm aware of on RF. But since Falun Gong literally translates to 'Dharma Wheel Practice,' I see no reason why you wouldn't be allowed to post such discussions in the Dharmic Religions DIR. :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm not sure who "us" might be, as you are the only Falun Gong member I'm aware of on RF. But since Falun Gong literally translates to 'Dharmic Wheel Practice," I see no reason why you wouldn't be allowed to post such discussions in the Dharmic Religions DIR. :)
I understand the confusion about Dharma and Falun Gong teaching. The reason i do not wish or can use the Dharma area is that Falun Gong has nothing to do with Buddhist or other Dharmic teachings to do. Yes it belongs under Buddha School of teaching, but it is not Buddhism as in Religion Buddhism. Maybe we could do it differently, and had a Dir called Cultivation path?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand the confusion about Dharma and Falun Gong teaching. The reason i do not wish or can use the Dharma area is that Falun Gong has nothing to do with Buddhist or other Dharmic teachings to do. Yes it belongs under Buddha School of teaching, but it is not Buddhism as in Religion Buddhism. Maybe we could do it differently, and had a Dir called Cultivation path?

As to not derail your thread here, you may submit your request by creating a thread in Site Feedback and we can pursue this discussion with the rest of the staff. As a reminder, threads created in Site Feedback are visible only to you and the RF staff.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

As I see it.....
If one can't achieve the desired influence on the internet,
then this problem will still be there when face to face.
This is a good venue to improve one's skills.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a question i been asking my self in the last months, so maybe internet forums is not the best way to give spiritual guidance? or maybe because there are so many different teachings that come in contact with each other that the true meaning of each spiritual teaching get a bit lost?¨

Communication is a skill and art. The ability of someone to be an effective communicator on a forum in particular requires writing finesse - a finesse that many folks simply do not have. Discussion of some topics requires more finesse than others, and may also require the speaker and listener share a particular knowledge base to communicate effectively. Topics pertaining to religion can be especially difficult to communicate and at times cannot be effectively communicated. These factors and others pose significant obstacles to clear communication. Active listening is all but required to ensure the speaker is effectively communicating their intent to listeners, or receiving what you call the "true meaning." It rarely happens on internet forums. Not because it isn't possible, but because one or both parties simply do not put in the effort.

The trick is drawing a distinction between a "misunderstanding" and a different interpretation. Most of the time, I don't bother fussing about this distinction. As an artist, I understand that any work I create - whether it's words or anything else - stops being mine alone the moment I share it with another human. Regardless of what I intended to convey, those who view it may draw something from it that I didn't intend. That's pretty cool, honestly, and rather than fuss about conveying the "true meaning" (whatever that is) of my work, I'm quite happy if folks get something inspiring out of it. Their lives, their stories after all.

My reason to start the OP was to say I wish spreading of spiritual teaching should be allowed on forums, but it is not and if someone tries they get as you say "shut down" fast.

Eh, it depends. Sharing certainly isn't prohibited. Proselytizing certainly is. Regardless of whether or not the word "spiritual" is slapped in front of teachings. The thing is to not present in a way that comes across as "this is my story, and it needs to be your story (or else)" instead of "this is my story, what do you think and what is your story?"

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Communication is a skill and art. The ability of someone to be an effective communicator on a forum in particular requires writing finesse - a finesse that many folks simply do not have. Discussion of some topics requires more finesse than others, and may also require the speaker and listener share a particular knowledge base to communicate effectively. Topics pertaining to religion can be especially difficult to communicate and at times cannot be effectively communicated. These factors and others pose significant obstacles to clear communication. Active listening is all but required to ensure the speaker is effectively communicating their intent to listeners, or receiving what you call the "true meaning." It rarely happens on internet forums. Not because it isn't possible, but because one or both parties simply do not put in the effort.

The trick is drawing a distinction between a "misunderstanding" and a different interpretation. Most of the time, I don't bother fussing about this distinction. As an artist, I understand that any work I create - whether it's words or anything else - stops being mine alone the moment I share it with another human. Regardless of what I intended to convey, those who view it may draw something from it that I didn't intend. That's pretty cool, honestly, and rather than fuss about conveying the "true meaning" (whatever that is) of my work, I'm quite happy if folks get something inspiring out of it. Their lives, their stories after all.

Eh, it depends. Sharing certainly isn't prohibited. Proselytizing certainly is. Regardless of whether or not the word "spiritual" is slapped in front of teachings. The thing is to not present in a way that comes across as "this is my story, and it needs to be your story (or else)" instead of "this is my story, what do you think and what is your story?"
I do agree that to say "this is my story, and it needs to be your story" is of course a wrong attitude and a wrong way to spread the truth. So in my understanding, to speak to people of same religion or cultivation path does hold better future than to mix it with others. This is a reason why I will probably become more silent within the form, especially when it comes to discussing religion or cultivation.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Personally I see it is an intrinsic part of discussing the spiritual aspect of life. I see no thoughts and actions are contained, they permeate existence. Thus all good we pursue puts back into the potential of our collective mind. Likewise the opposite also feeds into the same mind, bringing us down from our true potential.

Regards Tony