• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe internet forums are not the best way to spread spirituality?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This is a question i been asking my self in the last months, so maybe internet forums is not the best way to give spiritual guidance? or maybe because there are so many different teachings that come in contact with each other that the true meaning of each spiritual teaching get a bit lost? ¨

Would you say forums could lead to more misunderstandings then to a good spiritual understanding, because of the differences in understanding of the original teaching, and when someone who has not a clear understanding of the teaching, try to use their own words as if it was the true teaching, could lead to confusion.

I don't see internet forums as a bad place to learn spirituality. I honestly don't see where there one place and person is more spiritual than the other. It's a misconception that you can get "wrong information" from sites. Instead, it takes discernment because the wrong information to you may be correct for someone else.

There is a saying I got from Stigmata movie: the closer one gets to god, the more open they are to temptations.

In that respect, the closer to spiritual knowledge one gets to, the more open they are to things that may contradict it. But then. It really depends on discernment and openness. I found people who say they are 100% grounded in their faith (closer to god), the more they feel they need to defend it. If your faith cannot be shaped by other people's contradicting information, what more can you really learn?

The forum is a great place. Both for the "advanced" and the beginner in training.

Riders

How does Science prove religion/spiritual practice?
It does not but some religions including the one who keeps putting up threads about science proving their religion but some folks think they're religion have been proven by science. They say there bible is a historical fact.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Would you say forums could lead to more misunderstandings then to a good spiritual understanding, because of the differences in understanding of the original teaching, and when someone who has not a clear understanding of the teaching, try to use their own words as if it was the true teaching, could lead to confusion.
I think that what leads to misunderstandings, in Internet discussions and everywhere else, is people not practicing what they’re preaching.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Question: If spirituality is a fact, why would it need to be "spread"?
That's a great reason why I think people tend to bark up the wrong tree.

Is something is there or is present, you're just going to know. If there's a need to try to prove it to people, then it has to be acknowledged that it's insufficient and lacking in its veracity.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Sometimes that can be true. it is easy to see fault in others and not in one self
Practicing is not about seeing faults, in others or in oneself. What creates misunderstandings is people using their beliefs as excuses for unkindness and unfairness to others, instead of trying to practice them, themselves. Also, people using other people’s beliefs, which they don’t believe in themselves, to advance their speaking, writing and performance careers.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Practicing is not about seeing faults, in others or in oneself. What creates misunderstandings is people using their beliefs as excuses for unkindness and unfairness to others, instead of trying to practice them, themselves. Also, people using other people’s beliefs, which they don’t believe in themselves, to advance their speaking, writing and performance careers.
I would say you are ok to have your view on it :)

MNoBody

spirituality being awareness expanding,
anything which would facilitate the expansion of awareness would be a useful tool? no!?

Surely the onus is as always on the operator and standard disclaimer * individual results may vary. would apply

WalterTrull

Godfella
spirituality being awareness expanding,
anything which would facilitate the expansion of awareness would be a useful tool? no!?

Surely the onus is as always on the operator and standard disclaimer * individual results may vary. would apply
Hmm....
I'd think the operator is awareness.

MNoBody

Robert anton wilson made a good point regarding the word is,
maybe,
he suggested was a preferred word
as it enables the ones conversing to expand on the idea
regardless of variations and permutations the session throws up
more copacetic all around

WalterTrull

Godfella
Robert anton wilson made a good point regarding the word is,