• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lying

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Christians are no better and no worse than any other group when it comes to lying. Perhaps you've been hurt. I'm sorry. But it doesn't excuse you painting all christians with the same broad brush.

As i said experience. Sorry you don't like my truth.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it ever morally acceptable to lie, especially if you were lying for your god, lying for one of your prophets, messiahs or messengers, or for your religion?

I find lying to me morally unacceptable regardless of the circumstance.

Is it a sin to use God’s name when you lie?

There is not concept of 'sin' in my worldview.

And what are the consequences for sinning in the name of God? Do God punish them for each lie people tell?

As stated above, 'sin' is not a concept I embrace. However, the consequence of lying to another will resolve itself eventually through karmic law. There is no God that administers punishment. In lying, one is simply "punishing" oneself.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd imagine it would be morally acceptable to lie were it done to save another human (or yourself) from being murdered

Easy to say, but can you provide an example of how this would apply in a real life situation?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no qualms about lying to people who unfairly weild their power or deal with others in cruelty

I won't lie to such a person, but I have no qualms about telling them that they're behaving like an *******.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
"Lying for god" all too often is just code for "convincing oneself that his or her own convenience is justified by a major force".

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
As did my Mom. One day we were visiting her in hospital in July, and she said that it was a pretty snowfall last night. "Yes, Mom, it sure was." Personally, I think this focus on 'Lying is BAD' is too heavy in certain mass consciousnesses of today.

Is this really considered lying, though? Regardless of whether or not you experienced a pretty snowfall, she did, whether it was 'real' or not. I don't thing validating her experience is technically lying.

Then again, I'm probably wrong. I usually am.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Lying to avoid being murdered or to avoid unjust punishment. I was thinking of a few examples from my personal life that helped me to survive serious situations but I don't feel comfortable sharing them.

If you consider being grounded for a month "unjust punishment" for not completing a homework assignment, would that mean it's acceptable to lie about whether or not you did your homework?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
If you consider being grounded for a month "unjust punishment" for not completing a homework assignment, would that mean it's acceptable to lie about whether or not you did your homework?
I wrote an example of a punishment I was thinking of but deleted it. What i was thinking as unjust was punishments that are traumatizing and can risk life and death. Or at the least serious mental/physical wellbeing

I'll also add you quoted me too quickly i deleted to reword just as I got the alert that you quoted me...but that's ok.

wellwisher

Is it ever morally acceptable to lie, especially if you were lying for your god, lying for one of your prophets, messiahs or messengers, or for your religion?

Is it a sin to use God’s name when you lie?

And what are the consequences for sinning in the name of God? Do God punish them for each lie people tell?

The problem with lying, is it creates disinformation, which makes it harder for others to stay in touch with reality. To put this into perspective, say I was a Scientist who had to publish based on my good paying job at a University. One day I present fudged data, which is a form of lying. I justify this as the best way to help the prestige of my university and keep my job.

If this was discovered, would there be consequences in terms of my professional career? Is this being too harsh, or should we be able to lie in science, if it makes other people feel good or if it spares feelings? Or is the truth in science supposed to be above the subjectivity of feelings?

The next question is, is there anything wrong if the good data approach of science, is used as the criteria by religion? Or should this standard be treated differently for religion? Or can religion use the strict standard of science, that science learned from religion? There is a common reason science and religion teach the truth. It is the best way for all to see clearly. This is implied by the philosophy of science.

When I was younger I would try not to lie. This led to problems in my adolescence. I would push mu boundaries and be interrogated by my parents and tell the truth. They almost wished I had lied instead of me having to be punished. I told people, if you do not wish to hear the truth, do not ask me these questions. I am not going to sugar coat or lie to get out of trouble. My parents eased up and learned to watch for the larger picture of my life; still doing good in school and no trouble with the law. I was able to move about and not get into trouble, without lying. I did not like to fudge data, since this was not a good sign of me being a good future scientist; Mr Spock.

Lying is often justified if it spares feelings. However this sacrifices the truth so one can pander to the irrational and not help them overcome. Lack of full truth leads to loner term social problems, since the truth is how you become rational and learn real cause and affect, based on good data.

If I whine, and I can get my way; censor him, this is an irrational version of cause and affect designed for the gratification of the ego, and not for the needs of the ego living in hard reality. Science will not allow this, unless the powers to be have money and resources for mercenary science; conclusions come before data.

What is truth? Truth is a sincere belief in that the data supplied is the best that is known; by you. Science is an evolving paradigm, so as new data appears, the sincere truth may change. Lying knows the sincere truth, but decides to ignore it, in favor of an ego or group agenda; ends justify the means.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
These are just Biased Heathen Atheist Opinions. Heathen Atheists are Liars and you are not going to persuade Religious People otherwise.

Most Hated Woman in America | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix

Madalyn Murray O'Hair Faceoff
Merry Christmas to you - a bit late. :oops:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Science is an evolving paradigm, so as new data appears, the sincere truth may change.
Meanwhile, religions just make it up instead? Who expected science to have all the answers and NOW! - apart from the uninformed. :oops:

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
These are just Biased Heathen Atheist Opinions. Heathen Atheists are Liars and you are not going to persuade Religious People otherwise.

Most Hated Woman in America | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix

Madalyn Murray O'Hair Faceoff

How does this idea apply to religious heathen transtheists like me?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Can you please provide an example of harming someone by telling the truth?
You are hiding some Jews in your basement in Nazi Germany. The Gestapo comes and asks you where are the Jews. If you tell them the truth, the Jews will be shipped off to a death camp.