• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost once more

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That’s exactly why I’m worried about with UU, that lack of solid belief. It’s appealing to have a space to practice my own beliefs while feeling like a part of a community, but I do want some structure, some doctrine of how to live, if that makes sense
To me, structure can be helpful but doctrine is something I don't find value in. The difference is that doctrine is about rigid rules that you have to accept or fight against. Structure is more flexible.

Here's a pretend example. Doctrine is like saying "turn around 3 times before sitting down or go to hell". Structure is like saying "it's valuable to honor the sacred circle of life".

Here's a real world example. I have a dear friend who is very very busy and does not want to be disturbed for any reason and who said exactly that. I saw something that I was utterly convinced she would want to see and interrupted her. In this case my intuition was correct (I'm often wrong but that's another story).

But there are people for whom following a religion's rituals and ceremonies is absolutely helpful so it's not a matter of right and wrong but a matter of what is helpful.

So perhaps a path for you might to be think about all you've been through and to understand more about why what you've tried has not worked in more detail.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
The unfit or unhealthy (spiritually speaking) will either not start the race or else they will not finish it. Those who don't finish, don't get the prize.

And now, we've recently received encouragement to concentrate our efforts on "those who (are) rightly disposed for everlasting life." -- Acts of the Apostles 13:48.

You know, my sister, I think the GT is close! The more now who become worshippers of Jehovah, the quicker we'll reach all of the billions of resurrected ones during the Millennial reign of Jesus. (That is a lot!!) And I feel that those who die during the GT -- before the outbreak of Armageddon, of course -- will be resurrected. The way the Society has worded a few things recently, gives this impression.....and it does match Jehovah's understanding and justice.

Last edited:

Grandliseur

hello everyone! It’s been a while, but I’m back (for the moment, at least)

So I’ve been experimenting with following my own beliefs for a short time, but I found my set of beliefs shift and my efforts proved to be in vain.

I’ve also looked into more religions since then, primarily UU, but I’m shakey about it. I’ve also looked into Taoism, but it just didn’t fully fit me.

I’m not sure what to do at this point, whether I just go join a UU congregation, start experimenting again, or just stay in this limbo area I’m in, just hoping something starts to click with me.

Idk, do y’all got any advice? Any tips on how to truly find my way?
What do you expect religion can do for you?
Why do you think Christians are willing to suffer in this world yet still serve God and Christ?

Gratification in this world most commonly come from serving the devil. Of course, gratification of one's desires have nothing to do with happiness.

sealchan

So I’ve been experimenting with following my own beliefs for a short time, but I found my set of beliefs shift and my efforts proved to be in vain.

I’ve also looked into more religions since then, primarily UU, but I’m shakey about it. I’ve also looked into Taoism, but it just didn’t fully fit me.

I’m not sure what to do at this point, whether I just go join a UU congregation, start experimenting again, or just stay in this limbo area I’m in, just hoping something starts to click with me.

To find your way you need at least two things...your best understanding of where you are and your best sense of where you would like to go.

Would you be willing to share a little about each of these with us?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Confucionism?

RoseKnows

Your guess is as good as mine
To find your way you need at least two things...your best understanding of where you are and your best sense of where you would like to go.

Would you be willing to share a little about each of these with us?

Certainly!

I’m at this point where my understandings of the nature of things is somewhat solid, yet somewhat nebulous at the same time. I could tell you what I believe, but I’m not sure if these beliefs are solid enough to anchor to.

Where I’d like to go is to a point where I have like minded people along side me and where I have no doubts in my beliefs

Araceli Cianna

If you believe that there is a God who wants you to find him, wouldn't it be a good idea to ask for his help? That to me would be a good place to start.

Once you ask, be open to what he places in front of you....sometimes the truth hides in strange places. Sometimes you have to put something down before you pick something up.

You will know the truth when you find it because there will be no lingering doubts, no unanswered questions and a feeling of joy in your heart despite any dire circumstances in your life. That was my experience anyway.....:)

This is well put and what happened to me, except with paganism! I actually went about praying to a few deities until I heard one reply. That was Diana and ever since I've found peace and happiness following her path.

Araceli Cianna

I promise you do eventually find your path. Even if it takes months, years, you find what suits you. And it can change too! I was Christian growing up, I was new age for a few years, then went through a life crisis and had to reassess everything, and found my pagan path, with a dash of Jesus. ;)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Someone said that Jesus was the way and the truth that leads to life.

sealchan

Certainly!

I’m at this point where my understandings of the nature of things is somewhat solid, yet somewhat nebulous at the same time. I could tell you what I believe, but I’m not sure if these beliefs are solid enough to anchor to.

Where I’d like to go is to a point where I have like minded people along side me and where I have no doubts in my beliefs

It sounds to me like you are solid in yourself but yourself is not as solid as you would like. You would like to find a community that "contains" you or it at least appreciates and accepts your divergences while it also holds your values.

Having found yourself I think that you are not going to find a group that fits perfectly snug but you never know. Perhaps online forums are your best chance...

The way I would look at your situation is that what you really want is to find your passion and pursue it. Study what makes you deeply curious, explore what makes you want to wander, do what excites you as much as possible. In other words, this is what Joseph Campbell would call "following your bliss". Following your bliss is not some sort of permissive hedonism but rather a paying attention to your heart and your deepest longings and making it happen...or at least trying to. The main rule is if it motivates you you should do it.

As with all things there is balance of course and we all have our responsibilities, commitments, etc... But within this context following your bliss is your true spiritual path from where you are now to where you would like to be. It is not just doing what you want, for there are sacrifices and compromises...it will lead you into suffering but that suffering will be chosen by you rather than forced upon you. And this is a critical difference in how one lives a life. It is literally the difference between heaven and hell.

Pursuing your bliss for a time will bring changes to your life some that might even scare you, but the road will also be glorious. Your guru or teacher will be many but mainly it is yourself. Your desire and the risks and sacrifices they require will drive your discipline. The people you will meet on the way will become your community, even family.

So if you walk your own road you will find your community on that road.

If you feel that you are already doing this and it isn't enough I have my own personal recommendations on how to "dig in a little deeper" that I would be glad to share.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
RoseKnows said:

I guess it depends on what you are looking for? And if it actually exists in reality? :shrug:

If there is one God who created all....and one truth about everything (there cannot be many) then it has to be attainable. But how? How do you find the truth in amongst so many counterfeits?

Some may feel that it's like looking for a needle in a haystack, but I don't think it's really like that. As I understand things, it is God who is looking for us as much as we are looking for him. It is the "meeting" that leads us to where we want to go. (John 6:44)

It will be the beginning of an amazing journey that will make sense of all the things you already know, and give you a place where all the puzzle pieces fit together. You will have the overwhelming feeling of finding something you have searched for, all your life.

We meet many people in our work who say "I have my own religion" and some of them really mean it. They have virtually "shopped" for their beliefs in some vast celestial "supermarket" and have formulated their very own religion.....but then they can't find anyone who believes what they do. This leaves then feeling empty and unsatisfied with no one of like mind to share. :( Then there are those who find a nice social circle in a group but are often skeptical of the beliefs...it doesn't quite feel whole.

If there is one truth, then it must be available to all. The trouble is, too many people want to dictate their own terms of worship, instead of allowing God to do that. It is God who determines who qualifies to have the truth revealed to them....and when it is, are they willing to put down their own thinking and ideas in order to pick up God's thinking on matters? That is the test.

If they are not, then according to the Bible, God will leave them to their delusion, having nothing to teach them that they want to know. The Bible says that God will not stop people from believing whatever they want. If they prefer a comfortable lie to the uncomfortable truth, then their choices will soon show it.

You have to put in the hard work, because searching requires effort.....even if it means checking out every religion that appeals to you...and if you don't find what you are looking for, then perhaps the truth is hiding in the place you least expect it to be....? Again...ask God for direction and let all pre-conceived ideas go.

Is God searching for you? I guarantee he is, but are you looking in the right place for him? Try putting everything down and starting from scratch. Sometimes that is a good place to start. ;) Every journey begins with the first steps.

All the best.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I was Christian growing up, I was new age for a few years, then went through a life crisis and had to reassess everything, and found my pagan path, with a dash of Jesus. ;)

I hope you understand that Jesus doesn't do a dash of paganism.....:confused: Paganism and Christianity are roads leading in opposite directions. You can't travel both paths at the same time.

Riders

UU is a good place to start and don't have to claim any religion and can say your searching. Your a seeker.

If you don't like UU you can always try UNity. Unity does teach a belief in one God and in the bible but they also teach a belief in the inner God self and don't teach Jesus is God. So they aren't truly Christian depending on your version of Christianity.

But they are also Universal, you don't have to believe like them and can belong to any religion, the just of it is to get a message from the sermon nd apply it to your own beliefs. You can also adopt a belief in the one God or just the inner God self. But its up to you and they also have earth based Poly thiestic Pagan folk there too and also Atheists who choose to just believe in their higher self.They honor all that its all good.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

I am out on my own
been here ....out on a limb....for decades

it's not so bad

and I have no one to blame but myself

(which is true for all of us)

Araceli Cianna

I hope you understand that Jesus doesn't do a dash of paganism.....:confused: Paganism and Christianity are roads leading in opposite directions. You can't travel both paths at the same time.

Historically that's not true. Christianity was often integrated with pre-existing pagan practices. In fact it was pretty common.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

Wait for it. Stop seeking and let it come to you.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
That’s exactly why I’m worried about with UU, that lack of solid belief. It’s appealing to have a space to practice my own beliefs while feeling like a part of a community, but I do want some structure, some doctrine of how to live, if that makes sense
Breathe. Move. Eat. Seek beauty.

Great tenets to live by. God will find you. Or not.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Believe as you will. If there's a religion that fits in with your belief structure, great. If there's not, there is no law that states that you have to pigeonhole yourself an organized religion. Don't put pressure on yourself to apply a label. Just be.