• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Long time atheist

KnightOwl

Hi, I'm 49 and have been essentially an atheist since 18. I'm curious why people believe in religious doctrine and in a god. I understand some of the reasons on an intellectual level, but I'm not satisfied with the things I am told. I think there must be more to it because those reasons fall flat in my opinion.

I love a good debate and looking forward to sparring in good natured debate.

Hi, I'm 49 and have been essentially an atheist since 18. I'm curious why people believe in religious doctrine and in a god. I understand some of the reasons on an intellectual level, but I'm not satisfied with the things I am told. I think there must be more to it because those reasons fall flat in my opinion.

i dont know if i'm an athiest or not, but i do not believe in the god of the bible, unless it can be reasonably shown that he exists....ive heard all the typical christian regurgitation, and , like you, i dont care to hear more. i'm pretty sure most christians believe what they do because of a desire to be morally right, sense of security, self esteem ,and maybe status, but i also believe that any christian feels that they can never obey a substantial portion of the doctrine they believe, and what they call jesus (god/man) is their fire escape from not obeying.

astarath

I was an atheist for the first half of my life and the experience of knowing Christ has completely altered my life.

AJ4U

Well, either there is or there isn't God both scenarios, however, are frightening especially for unbelievers; for instance, if there is no God, we orbit the sun at close to 70,000 miles per hour with no one in control in an unforgiving hostile universe. If there is a Creator, it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God especially after denying His existence.:help:

I was atheist for 7 years, 13-20. Believing in God was not a choice for me. Suddenly I knew there was a God. Please bare to understand, I was given the Holy Spirit. An extreme feeling a ecstasy fell over me (and with my past drug use I can tell you that is exactly how it feels). My choice was serving God, and experiencing this extreme love and esctasy, or not.

So for me, the answer for your question would be, I choose to do the will of God because of the strong feeling of love. That's one reason. "The Kingdom of God is not eating and drinking but peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." Luke 17:21"Jesus said, The Kingdom of God is within you!"

I understand why you are atheist, and the logic behind it. I went to a christian school for Junior High and was voted most Christ like, then soon after turned atheist. It is your choice, but the Holy Spirit is the greatest feeling in the universe. Because of it men have written so many different holy books, and even deal with persecution from man, even death.