• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Listening to the Other Side of the Aisle

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I find internet stars to be wrathful, and aggressive to others differing from their points of view. I dont care what side you pick of any situation. They try to appeal to emotions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah, I dont get people calling him a Nazi and stuff. What I have heard him say is simply common sense.
You know what's coming.....

everyone-i-dont-like-is-hitler-the-emotional-childs-the-25434153.png

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
2 of my favorites, even though I don't agree with either of them on 100% of their topics. Ben Shapiro might be the greatest debater I've ever seen.
Have you read any of Dr Peterson's books? I very much enjoyed 12 Rules for Life. I need to get around to reading Maps of Meaning as well.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Is this a joke? Ben Shapiro is garbage at honest debate. His 'style', so to speak, is talking so fast that no one else can get a word in.

Don't see how it's his fault if others can't keep up with him.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Have you read any of Dr Peterson's books? I very much enjoyed 12 Rules for Life. I need to get around to reading Maps of Meaning as well.

I haven't read any of his books. But I have listened to/watched countless hours of his lectures and debates.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I highly recommend this exercise.
That's why I've read more right-wing literature and authors than I have left. And it's not just an exercise in civility, but also you can't debate an opponent well if you don't know what you're debating against.
Ben Shapiro might be the greatest debater I've ever seen.
Have you seen any debates with Sam Harris?

Enoch07

Premium Member
Have you seen any debates with Sam Harris?

Yes I listened to the first debate which was 1.5-2 hours long, and they never actually got to debate the issues they wanted to. It was just them establishing the grounds of the debate and what morality is/isn't. Was very interesting in itself. Admittedly I am biased, but I though Peterson destroyed Harris during the actual debate. But Harris fans seem to think he won, so maybe it was a tie at best. Regardless, it was fun watching an epic debate no matter who won/lost.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes I listened to the first debate which was 1.5-2 hours long, and they never actually got to debate the issues they wanted to. It was just them establishing the grounds of the debate and what morality is/isn't. Was very interesting in itself.
I thought Harris barely won, but because they barely debated at all. IMO, Harris, whether you agree with him or not, is a very formidable debate opponent as he is extremely well informed about the topic. I read his book about free will as an exercise to challenge my own position, and he completely ran over what was my position.

Enoch07

Premium Member
I thought Harris barely won, but because they barely debated at all. IMO, Harris, whether you agree with him or not, is a very formidable debate opponent as he is extremely well informed about the topic. I read his book about free will as an exercise to challenge my own position, and he completely ran over what was my position.

They both have insight into topics that I can barely grasp sometimes so I know what you mean. When Peterson gets going sometimes I just can't keep up with him. Im so busy processing what he just said that by the time I'm done he's gone through 4 new topics that I totally missed. Harris is a bit easier to keep up with, but still extremely formidable.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Can you really be called a master debater when you don't let anyone else debate?

That probably because you've only been shown select clips of Ben after he has been berrated/attacked/agitated.

I implore you to watch this. Its Ben Shapiro vs Sam Harris or at least skim through it, it's a bit over an hour long.

whirlingmerc

Over the last few weeks I have gotten into podcasts. I really enjoy My Brother, My Brother, and Me. It is very funny if you haven't heard of them, they are worth a quick listen to see if you would enjoy it. In regards to other topics I have listened to the Joe Rogan Experience.

The most recent guest I listened to was Ben Shapiro who is quite the divisive figure, right? Before listening to what he had to say I believed we were polar opposites. There was nothing he said that could be of value, that was my opinion of Ben Shapiro a week ago. After listening to him, that has changed dramatically. He is a very intelligent person and knows what the heck he is talking about. Many of his points I was able to understand and I even agreed on a few of them (gasp)! Listening to this segment reinforced something that I have been trying to work on over the last year: you can understand and be civil without having to agree. With Shapiro, he has many personal beliefs that I do not subscribe to, but the way he talked about it made me understand his perspective. I really enjoyed it.

Another person I have been listening to is Jordan Peterson (who has his own podcast as well). He is a Canadian psychologist who is ruthlessly demonized by the radical left. I heard about him in passing but really didn't know much about him outside of the usual media portrayal of him (not very flattering). When I started listening to him talk, I realized that he is nothing like the media described him. Again, incredibly sharp and, within his own expertise, is absolutely fascinating to listen to. Again, there are many topics that I don't agree on but I have learned a lot by just listening.

I highly recommend this exercise.

Bad idea to just 'demonize' the other side... even if you believe them wrong

Jumi

I haven't read anything by him, so I'm curious does he write about his rather extreme diet in his books?