• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

leave a positive comment about suffering

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Romans 5:3. "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance”

I'm wondering if you could please leave a positive comment about suffering, because I've been experiencing and seeing a lot of suffering everywhere and just wishing my Mother had aborted me.

A lot of the Saints saw suffering as a good thing, so that is what I'm trying to do because there will be a lot of suffering in this world and I see it, experience it, and hear about it all the time. Some of the Saints even reached a point where they said they "Loved suffering". Imagine how much more enjoyable life could be if we loved suffering?

(I put this in the debate section so people could feel free to argue too)

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I was reading recently about the process a sword goes through.
It goes through a lot of heating and beating to be strong, sharp, and beautiful.

People often use that analogy to say that we must go through a lot of beating and suffering to be strong, sharp, and beautiful.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Romans 5:3. "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance”
This is a stupid remark, as if persevering ("Continuing in a course of action even in the face of difficulty or with little or no prospect of success.") justifies suffering.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
“Without pain, how could we know joy?' This is an old argument in the field of thinking about suffering and its stupidity and lack of sophistication could be plumbed for centuries but suffice it to say that the existence of broccoli does not, in any way, affect the taste of chocolate.”​
~~John Green, The Fault in Our Stars​

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
“Without pain, how could we know joy?' This is an old argument in the field of thinking about suffering and its stupidity and lack of sophistication could be plumbed for centuries but suffice it to say that the existence of broccoli does not, in any way, affect the taste of chocolate.”​
~~John Green, The Fault in Our Stars​
See post #8

Yes !

That was my point :)

siti

Here's an ancient blatheristic proverb that I just made up:

You can avoid broccoli, but an Olympic gold medal might be considered worth suffering for.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As I've told my children and now my grandchildren many times, it's the bad times that make the good times good. Suffering is a part of life, but there's no doubt that some suffer more than others.

So, what to do? Help as best as we can, imo, starting within our own families and then locally. If everyone in the world did this, suffering would still exist but it could at least be ameliorated to a large extent.

But we also have to deal with our own suffering, and there are ways for us to do that, such as using meditation and, if need be, medication.

The main thing is to not get discouraged as it is virtually impossible for us to heal the world, but we sure can do a lot to heal ourselves and others around us.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

I'm wondering if you could please leave a positive comment about suffering because I've been seeing a lot of suffering everywhere and just wishing my Mother had aborted me.

A lot of the Saints saw suffering as a good thing, so that is what I'm trying to do because there will be a lot of suffering in this world and I see it and hear about it all the time. Some of the Saints even reached a point where they said they "Loved suffering". Imagine how much more enjoyable life could be if we loved suffering?

(I put this in the debate section so people could feel free to argue too)

It is probably much easier for a person who has suffered to have empathy for others. The more ways in which we suffer opens more doors to our understanding and empathy for others. Only later on can we appreciate how suffering changed our own hearts and minds for the better.

So hold on, because your empathy and understanding for others has a value that cannot be estimated highly enough.
:)