• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

leave a positive comment about suffering

dianaiad

“Without pain, how could we know joy?' This is an old argument in the field of thinking about suffering and its stupidity and lack of sophistication could be plumbed for centuries but suffice it to say that the existence of broccoli does not, in any way, affect the taste of chocolate.”​
~~John Green, The Fault in Our Stars​

No. However, the taste of ex-lax does indeed affect the experience of eating fine dutch chocolate.

Do compare chalk to chalk, and cheese to cheese, please.

Now me, I have given birth five times. When I finally got to hold my babies, I knew I had EARNED the right to love them, and that was joy. Adoptive parents who do not suffer through birth also suffer in order to get their children...in a different way.

My own opinion on this is that pain and joy ARE relative, and it's not really possible to appreciate the joy unless you have some acquaintance with the pain. Not that I wouldn't have liked to TRY it, but....nope. I live in southern California; we have a LOT of bright sunny days and mild temperatures. I've met many, many people who gripe and complain because the temp falls to below fifty, or the wind kicks up a bit...but me? I was born and raised in a place where winter meant 30 BELOW zero and having your hair freeze if you are dumb enough to walk two blocks with it wet after swim practice.

So...others might not appreciate a fifty degree day with a bit of breeze, but me? I take joy in it and wear sandals.

See? suffering is valuable if only because all the good things look so much better in contrast.

Milton Platt

Romans 5:3. "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance”

I'm wondering if you could please leave a positive comment about suffering, because I've been experiencing and seeing a lot of suffering everywhere and just wishing my Mother had aborted me.

A lot of the Saints saw suffering as a good thing, so that is what I'm trying to do because there will be a lot of suffering in this world and I see it, experience it, and hear about it all the time. Some of the Saints even reached a point where they said they "Loved suffering". Imagine how much more enjoyable life could be if we loved suffering?

(I put this in the debate section so people could feel free to argue too)

I'm positive that if a benevolent god existed, there would be no suffering.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Where do strain hardening and metal fatigue work into your analogy?

Indiscriminate beating makes metal weak and brittle. It's only calculated working, combined with calculated annealing to erase the effects of the beating, that allow for sharpness, strength, resilience, etc.
Nowhere! Brilliant point!

Aiviu

Romans 5:3. "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance”

I'm wondering if you could please leave a positive comment about suffering, because I've been experiencing and seeing a lot of suffering everywhere and just wishing my Mother had aborted me.

A lot of the Saints saw suffering as a good thing, so that is what I'm trying to do because there will be a lot of suffering in this world and I see it, experience it, and hear about it all the time. Some of the Saints even reached a point where they said they "Loved suffering". Imagine how much more enjoyable life could be if we loved suffering?

Strange. Willingly suffering equals cutting desires like food , sleep, and any type of pleasure. Doing this can result in realizing life to the closeset which made us feel beloved. Thus we might love suffering. Its the body which sets the senstivity of our perception. I guess that we have a glimpse on love by sense ourself o belove while we live. A bit of a promise that catches us.

Seeing one suffering has almost the same approach. The sufferer and the I is noticed not to be different. For a short moment there is a unity. The I sense empathy. We sense that we desire something in means of love in our hearts and assign it with the sufferer. But in the end this empathy can't love. Our feelings and thoughts never will meet the other who suffers from love or care. Any empathy has to cut through our feelings, thoughts, and words to have an action which shows that we do care. And not just we sufferer and feel empathy to fill our own hearts as we merely wipe a tear from our eye and move on.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Me too, especially given current events. However, if we're alive, we can make things better, if not for ourselves, then for others, even if it's telling someone "hi", as they might not have had a smiley greeting all day ...

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

Never, ever wish that. Life is a gift.

You may not know this about suffering:

1. It's a big atheist complaint. They probably also complained about brushing their teeth and doing their homework growing up, too.

2. Suffering has over 30 purposes in the scriptures. 30! But they are mostly for believers.

3. Again, atheists complain about suffering, not understanding that the only way any human achievement is created is suffering.

Again, atheists are humans, too, so I guess I can suffer their complaints some more.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

for every action there is an opposite but equal reaction

fire and water create temperance

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

.... and there was No suffering in Eden. So, God's original purpose for Earth was a suffering-free paradisical Earth.
To me, the breaking of God's Law is what introduced suffering to Earth.
God did Not abandon us, but right away God set up a first prophecy at Genesis 3:15 to send us a promised offspring 'seed' to undo the damage Satan and Adam brought upon us.
In other words, when Jesus' begins his coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth, then Jesus, as Messiah, will undo all the suffering and even enemy death will be No more for us - 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
-Suffering presents opportunity to practice fortitude, resilience, and willpower.

Yes, and as Matthew 24:13 mentions that the one who endures to the end is saved ( delivered / rescued ).
So, either endure spiritually until one's death, or endure to the start of Jesus' coming 1,000-year reign over Earth.
As Job and Jesus both proved Satan a liar that under adverse conditions we would Not serve God, so can we.
So, I can agree to the point that present-day suffering presents opportunity to practice fortitude, resilience and willpower by relying on God as Christ relied on his God.

Deidre

Was trying to articulate something similar and this helped. I see nothing positive about being hit int the head with a hammer, or having lung cancer. But these things really are not suffering. Suffering is nothing more than failing to let go of an emotional attachment to that over which we have no control. If we suffer it is because we care. Sometimes that emotional attachment can be healthy, sometimes it can be twisted. It is usually egocentric. We have two immediate choices. We can acknowledge that we have no control over the situation, or we can become control freaks. The other choice is to accept what you can't control and change what you can.

I can't tell you how many times I've thought my suffering was due to some outward reason, and never realized I had the power to control it, stop it, or keep it going. It's not always easy when you're grieving over the loss of a loved one for example, or in physical pain to tell your mind to stop those thoughts. :oops: Do you agree?

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
I can't tell you how many times I've thought my suffering was due to some outward reason, and never realized I had the power to control it, stop it, or keep it going. It's not always easy when you're grieving over the loss of a loved one for example, or in physical pain to tell your mind to stop those thoughts. :oops: Do you agree?
I do agree it is not always easy, even humanly possible. And sometimes suffering is good and cleanses the soul. But when we recognize that it is our emotional attachment to circumstances, and when we recognize the extent of our control over those circumstances, that we can get a clear picture (rational) to guide our thoughts and actions. Sometimes we need to mourn, sometimes we need to let go, sometimes we need to hold others responsible, sometimes we need to accept responsibility.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason

1. It's a big atheist complaint. They probably also complained about brushing their teeth and doing their homework growing up, too.

2. Suffering has over 30 purposes in the scriptures. 30! But they are mostly for believers.

3. Again, atheists complain about suffering, not understanding that the only way any human achievement is created is suffering.

Again, atheists are humans, too, so I guess I can suffer their complaints some more.
Hilarious! Although I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or serious. Either way this is a priceless post!

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
A positive comment about suffering? Okay, let's see...

It's a viewpoint. Someone's suffering is another's gain. And vice versa.

Question: Are you purposefully trying to make yourself look stupid in the eyes of those around you? Is this the "deepest" level of thought your brain can handle? In another thread you are complaining that you are suffering from the effects of allowing Atheists on these forums: For example, you are feeling bad if they get to reply to your posts using logic. You are saying that they should all leave and relinquish this place for the likes of you: Those who think "debate" refers to patting another in the back.

Well, we are suffering from your nonsense here. You are plain flat out ridiculing atheists here and in another thread you ARE making the claim that MERELY replying to you and countering your point counts as harassment and ridicule towards yourself! GET SOME BACKBONE you cretin!

You admitted there in that thread that you having to read counter-points equals to harassment, towards you or your religion. YOU are admitting that you are suffering because of alternate viewpoints and good arguments. And yet you post this drivel?!

You seem to be making a point about "not understanding that the only way any human achievement is created is suffering" yet your suffering regarding atheists seem to be so big you cannot even get over it. Shouldn't you witnessing others arguing with you be a character building exercise according to your own words? Well, you shut out the moment something like that happens. You are not building your character. You are subliming to fear and suffering without gaining anything from it. You just complain.

Dumdum.

Last edited:

AS we walk through this short and uncertain earthly life, we find a lot of struggles and pain and suffering. You will find that the Apostle Paul says that we ‘glory in tribulations’ (Romans 5:3). He does not say that we are to become masochists and look for sufferings and deliberately cause pain that we might enjoy it. The Apostle Paul knew all about enduring tribulations as he says in 2 Corinthians 11:-
24. Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
25 Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;
26 In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
27 In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.
28 Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.

So the Apostle Paul knew all about tribulations. The Christian position therefore not to grumble and complain. But we are to glory on account of them, and because of them. See also our Lord Jesus’ words in Matthew 10:-
10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness 'sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

And see the Apostle Paul’s words in 2 Corinthians 4:17
17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
The afflictions we have is only for a short while.
Well, again how does thing work out. Well the famous Bible preacher, Dr Martin Lloyd-Jones says it something like this: We can glory in tribulations because our faith enables us to view tribulations in such a way as to realise that Tribulations far from being adverse to our faith, actually promotes our faith and indeed enlarges our faith.
The reaction to tribulations is not an automatic one. The Apostle says that he can glory in tribulations, because it promotes his faith. The tribulation strengthens him, it strengthens his faith. Trials and Tribulations have a way of making our faith stronger than it was before.
You may also wish to consider that Tribulations is a blessing because it drives us back to God and we learn to depend on Him more than ever before. Trials and tribulations also teaches us about our own strengths and frailties. The trials and tribulations are also a test of God’s love, in that He wants you to grow in your faith and tribulations are a way that causes you to depend on Him.
Let me finish with this poetry which I wrote:-
I asked God for riches,
He gave me want that I might know the riches of God.
I asked God for good health, he gave sickness that I might lean upon Him and Him only.
I asked God for the things I love in this life, but instead He opened my eyes to His pure sweet love.
I asked God for the fruit of this world, He pruned me so that I might produce more of His fruit.
I asked that He would remove the troubles of this life, but He said My grace is sufficient for you.
I asked God for a good life,
He gave me trials and tribulations that I might become stronger in my faith.
He gave me nothing that I had asked for, but He gave me everything I needed for an eternity.
Certainty for eternity

Lirille

Pain in life is inevitable, but suffering is an option. A quote I ran across last year.
I truly believe that. I also believe the key to avoid suffering if acknowledging the truth that all pain is temporary.

In my experience, it is utterly pointless to try to deny pain - it won't simply go away. The shortest way out of suffering, I believe, is to fully acknowledge pain, but, at the same time, to take a step back and realize that it will not last forever. When you're able to do that, you may still hurt, but you won't suffer because of it.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Hilarious! Although I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or serious. Either way this is a priceless post!

The sarcasm was serious. So was my point, which stands, that all human achievement stands on some suffering (like learning in school, or bodybuilding or waiting for marriage to a beloved, etc. ad infinitum).

Atheists are always whining about suffering, because their glass is half-full.

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
Atheists are always whining about suffering, because their glass is half-full.

Sources for such a baseless claim, please.

And this is ignoring the fact that you are literally complaining about atheists. Why are you suffering so much because of them? Shouldn't achievement stand on suffering? Why are you achieving nothing except complaints? ;D

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
to be loving doesn't require that something give everything to another without some interaction. that abdicates one's actions and welfare solely to another. that being said, that which depends solely upon another for it's welfare soon atrophies. no action, no risk, results in no self-actualization in this dimension..