• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

leave a positive comment about suffering

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Romans 5:3. "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance”

Yes, 'produces perseverance' because the one who 'endures to the end ' is saved according to Matthew 24:13
Satan challenges all of us. Touch our ' flesh ' ( Physical suffering ) and we would Not serve God - Job 2:4-5
So, we can all prove Satan a liar by serving God despite any sufferings.

Jumi

There are two ways to deal with the pain. The first is to give in and not look for a way out. But if we can overcome our bitterness about the injustices, bad circumstance and suffering we've endured we will be friendlier and more helpful as people. It has helped me and I believe it has helped you.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Romans 5:3. "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance”

I'm wondering if you could please leave a positive comment about suffering, because I've been experiencing and seeing a lot of suffering everywhere and just wishing my Mother had aborted me.

A lot of the Saints saw suffering as a good thing, so that is what I'm trying to do because there will be a lot of suffering in this world and I see it, experience it, and hear about it all the time. Some of the Saints even reached a point where they said they "Loved suffering". Imagine how much more enjoyable life could be if we loved suffering?

(I put this in the debate section so people could feel free to argue too)

Well, since this is in debate, I see nothing positive about suffering. I've gone through brain surgery, and if brain surgery was positive, everyone would probably join the list to be the first to be seizure-free. Of course, they wouldn't mind be in the hospital for over a week going through med withdrawals and not knowing when they will have a seizure on the hospital's hard,....,hard floors. I almost had a manic attack changing doctors because when I change doctors today I have to be observed for three to five days. The nurse hid my meds in the closet so I can feel "safe" with them even though I wasn't allowed to take my own meds.

No. I can't say anything positive about suffering or it wouldn't be suffering. If anything, the saints that said that are pretty referring to what they learnt from suffering. There are positive lessons to be learnt from suffering but I'd never tell anyone to go through suffering to learn a lesson. Like putting a child's hand over heat so he knows what it feels like to be burnt. Ridiculous.

Instead, write down positive things you experience outside of suffering. Little things even just laughing while online or actually having a good rest. We don't always need "human sacrifice" in order to be saved. Many people have found salvation and ways towards it without needing to suffer in order to bypass it. It's an oxymoron.

Yerda

Veteran Member
A lot of the suffering we inflict on ourselves can be avoided. Some of the suffering we experience is required to stop us being fools.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Well, since this is in debate, I see nothing positive about suffering. I've gone through brain surgery, and if brain surgery was positive, everyone would probably join the list to be the first to be seizure-free. Of course, they wouldn't mind be in the hospital for over a week going through med withdrawals and not knowing when they will have a seizure on the hospital's hard,....,hard floors. I almost had a manic attack changing doctors because when I change doctors today I have to be observed for three to five days. The nurse hid my meds in the closet so I can feel "safe" with them even though I wasn't allowed to take my own meds.

No. I can't say anything positive about suffering or it wouldn't be suffering. If anything, the saints that said that are pretty referring to what they learnt from suffering. There are positive lessons to be learnt from suffering but I'd never tell anyone to go through suffering to learn a lesson. Like putting a child's hand over heat so he knows what it feels like to be burnt. Ridiculous.

Instead, write down positive things you experience outside of suffering. Little things even just laughing while online or actually having a good rest. We don't always need "human sacrifice" in order to be saved. Many people have found salvation and ways towards it without needing to suffer in order to bypass it. It's an oxymoron.
I'm very sorry you had to go through all that! :( You are an admirable person because I don't see you blaspheme God like I do despite the heavy cross you carry.

Yes, I put this in the debate section because I knew some people would not see suffering with anything but a negative connotation and I wanted them to leave their comments as well.

So thank you! And I hope you find consolation, insight, strength, peace, joy, and relief! God bless and console you! :)

Do you feel God was there for you in your suffering?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm very sorry you had to go through all that! :( You are an admirable person because I don't see you blaspheme God like I do despite the heavy cross you carry.

Yes, I put this in the debate section because I knew some people would not see suffering with anything but a negative connotation and I wanted them to leave their comments as well.

So thank you! And I hope you find consolation, insight, strength, peace, joy, and relief! God bless and console you! :)

Do you feel God was there for you in your suffering?

I didn't believe in god (wasn't christian) during my medical illnesses. The only time I can seriously say I was christian was when I joined the Church in 2013. I had my surgery in 1999 and had seizures since 12 yrs old.

If I hadn't join the church, I'd probably be one the odd one out who never been christian in a christian area. I honestly feel it was environmental influence. The place I have is cheap so I couldn't complain that it was owned by the Church (they have events here and such but it can't go against Catholic values. I can probably get away with a pentacle on my door since I'm way down the hall. However, I know they'll find some way to get around "freedom of religion" given it's a private owned residential complex).

:fallenleaf:

My mother was at my side. My aunts came from Texas to help me out here in Maryland. My friend supported me with laughs. I had hospital friends who we both laughed and had seizures together. My mother's side aren't really family people. My father's side are but it seems when things are bad they actually make that travel outside of town. My family helped me.

I never knew what it was like to live with a god/entity, believe in one, and still don't know how to interpret what that actual means beyond what religious books say and people's experiences.

Let me ask, why do you hold on to god as a person-figure? You are still loved, supported, and all the above. Once you get beyond seeing god as an external being, you'll notice that the things you do are a part of god. God is life and works through you. How you communicate, what you say, do, think, and so forth-your morals and actions-are a reflection of who you are and if you write the morals that mean something to you, and you do what your morals suggest, that can also be a hint of god speaking through you.

There are many ways to interpret god's voice. I never had the thought of god being an separate entity. I believe in spirits but the spirits are actual people that look after you and help you out etc. An entity sounds like the movie The Exorcist or something.

Deidre

Pain in life is inevitable, but suffering is an option. A quote I ran across last year. Life is about both pain and joy, too much of either, will cause an imbalanced life. But, one might need the other...and suffering is up to us. If you read stories/books about the Holocaust, many people stayed positive, despite the pain they were in, they didn't ''choose'' to suffer. It's a hard concept to grasp, at least for me lol...I guess I never really viewed suffering as a choice. But, maybe it is?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Pain in life is inevitable, but suffering is an option. A quote I ran across last year. Life is about both pain and joy, too much of either, will cause an imbalanced life. But, one might need the other...and suffering is up to us. If you read stories/books about the Holocaust, many people stayed positive, despite the pain they were in, they didn't ''choose'' to suffer. It's a hard concept to grasp, at least for me lol...I guess I never really viewed suffering as a choice. But, maybe it is?
beautiful! :)

Reggie Miller

1 Peter 1
6 In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials,
7 so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

1 Peter 4
12 Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening to you;
13 but to the degree that you share the sufferings of Christ, keep on rejoicing, so that also at the revelation of His glory you may rejoice with exultation.
14 If you are reviled for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.

16 but if anyone suffers as a Christian, he is not to be ashamed, but is to glorify God in this name.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I was reading recently about the process a sword goes through.
It goes through a lot of heating and beating to be strong, sharp, and beautiful.

People often use that analogy to say that we must go through a lot of beating and suffering to be strong, sharp, and beautiful.
Where do strain hardening and metal fatigue work into your analogy?

Indiscriminate beating makes metal weak and brittle. It's only calculated working, combined with calculated annealing to erase the effects of the beating, that allow for sharpness, strength, resilience, etc.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
Was trying to articulate something similar and this helped. I see nothing positive about being hit int the head with a hammer, or having lung cancer. But these things really are not suffering. Suffering is nothing more than failing to let go of an emotional attachment to that over which we have no control. If we suffer it is because we care. Sometimes that emotional attachment can be healthy, sometimes it can be twisted. It is usually egocentric. We have two immediate choices. We can acknowledge that we have no control over the situation, or we can become control freaks. The other choice is to accept what you can't control and change what you can.